Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Half Nelson 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Half Nelson 
"no rank"

Post Half Nelson
Half Nelson

Quote:
Half Nelson is a 2006 American drama film directed by Ryan Fleck and written by Anna Boden and Fleck; and stars Ryan Gosling, Shareeka Epps and Anthony Mackie. The film was scored by Juno Award - winning Canadian band Broken Social Scene. Gosling received an Academy Award nomination for lead actor for his role in the film. The story concerns an inner city middle-school teacher who forms a friendship with one of his students after she discovers that he has a drug habit. The film is based on a 19-minute film made by Boden and Fleck in 2004, titled Gowanus, Brooklyn.

It premiered in competition at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival. It was released theatrically on August 11, 2006.

I would like to run a full review on the main site but I'm still formulating my thoughts. I will tell you this

People say great films aren't made anymore. They're seeing the wrong films.

Like a punch to the gut, the raw emotions of Half Nelson will leave you doubled over and out of breath. Films featuring inner city school students and idyllic teachers are a dime a dozen, hell I've seen several this year alone. But Half Nelson is much more that that. Cautionary yarn about drug use, the pitfalls of Generation Y, New York race and class struggles. We the viewers are even given a bird's eye view (perhaps) of pedophilia's beginning stages. This film is anything but predictable and straightforward.

Half Nelson is not only one of the best films of 2006, but it's the truest depiction of my generation ever to hit movie screens.

A+

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:13 pm
Extraordinary

The closest place playing it near me is Oakland, I wonder if it's worth the trip to go see it :-k

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:41 pm
The closest place playing it near me is Oakland, I wonder if it's worth the trip to go see it :-k

how many minutes/hours?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:44 pm
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:

how many minutes/hours?
Wont take very long, 20min?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:53 pm
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Killuminati510 wrote:

how many minutes/hours?
Wont take very long, 20min?

of course go. :happy:

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:53 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Ryan Gosling was amazing in his role. I hope he gets some attention during awards season.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:58 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Half Nelson
loyalfromlondon wrote:
We the viewers are even given a bird's eye view (perhaps) of pedophilia's beginning stages.

Gaaaaack!

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:21 am
Extraordinary

Gosling is becoming one of this generations finest young actors. With Half Nelson, Slaughter Rule, Beliver, Notebook, and Remember the Titans he's the real deal.

Pretty powerful small indie film that gets some great performances from the two leads (Gosling and Shareeka Epps), Epps really is a find, she shines in the film and never really feels outacted by Gosling in their scenes together. It really is an unconventional and ambitious film.

Grade - B+

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:32 am
Extraordinary

Here's a copy of my review from over in the Foreign and Independent Film sub-forum:

Half Nelson: Down for the Count!

Here's another one of those earnestly "true" tales that revels/writhes in the sordid details of the negative side of "life's dialectic", which therefore strongly reminded me of The Squid and the Whale, another movie that underwhelmed me with it's dishonest honesty. Yeah, yeah -- it's exactly how it happened, I'm sure - but what does that tell us about what really happened?

The soundtrack by Broken Social Scene is way heavy and way disjointed, just like the movie.

It's a mess. The director, I'm sure hopes that he fooled us with his vérité style, but unfortunately he's wrong and we're not...

2 out of 5.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:49 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Ive been waiting for this for ages but have no idea when it comes out here.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 am
Extraordinary

Ive been waiting for this for ages but have no idea when it comes out here.

If you really want to see it, and if it does make it to where you are, don't dawdle, it closed real quick in my town...

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:00 pm
College Boy Z

Solid indie film carried by a terrific performance from Ryan Gosling. I now understand where that random MPA nomination for Best Actor came from.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

Zingaling, did you get a random early shipment of DVDs or something? Because I noticed your comment about watching Departed 3 times this week, and you've seen this, and both don't come out till Tuesday... :unsure:

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:11 pm
Sbil

Solid indie film carried by a terrific performance from Ryan Gosling. I now understand where that random MPA nomination for Best Actor came from.

I don't know how random it really was, he got an Oscar nomination too.

Anyway, this comes out Tuesday. I must watch it.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Zingaling, did you get a random early shipment of DVDs or something? Because I noticed your comment about watching Departed 3 times this week, and you've seen this, and both don't come out till Tuesday... :unsure:

The man is hitting the Warez I'd guess.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:18 pm
College Boy Z

Oh, I forgot he got an Oscar nomination. I guess that was random for me, too, I never heard of this film until he got nominated and da torri forced me to check this out.

Shack wrote:

I just got a job at Blockbuster this past week and we get to rent new releases a week early. Heh.

Oh, and um.. B+. I think you'll definitely like it, Libs.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:22 pm
Teenage Dream

Is it a commentary on the failure of white liberal idealism? Is it about coming to terms with life not panning out the way we planned, and passing our hopes and dreams onto the next generation? Whatever you want it to be about, I can't see someone between the ages of 20 and 30 years old not being absolutely rocked to the core by this film.

That, and Gosling is magnificent. If there is any justice in this world, he will be on that stage on the 25th.

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/05peq_7hfEE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:29 pm
Extraordinary

I can't see someone between the ages of 20 and 30 years old not being absolutely rocked to the core by this film.

...and I can't see someone over 30 not being underwhelmed by it's triteness.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:17 am
College Boy T

Yeah, this is kinda my favorite movie of '06.

I don't think the movie's restricted to those between 20 and 30, though. While it's definitely a movie for the "new generation," as loyal pointed out, it raises questions that every generation thinks about...

Gosling needs to star in more movies. There's no better actor under-thirty working today.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:31 pm
Sbil

Yeah, this is kinda my favorite movie of '06.

I don't think the movie's restricted to those between 20 and 30, though. While it's definitely a movie for the "new generation," as loyal pointed out, it raises questions that every generation thinks about...

Gosling needs to star in more movies. There's no better actor under-thirty working today.

The Notebook :biggrin:

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

The Notebook and The Believer. Gosling is the real deal! Cant wait for Half Nelson!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 pm
loyalfromlondon

Don't forget Stay, which nobody saw but in which he was fantastic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:48 pm
Kypade

And this comes from Netflix tomorrow or Wed :up: :up:

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:09 pm
Pure Phase

Wow, wow, wow. Half Nelson's mind-blowing. Equal parts biting and moving. Ryan Gosling is superlative, as is the entire ensemble cast. This and Letters from Iwo Jima are 2006's best movies. A+.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next