Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Pinocchio (1940) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Pinocchio (1940) 
College Boy Z

Post Pinocchio (1940)
Pinocchio

Quote:
Pinocchio is a 1940 American animated film produced by Walt Disney and based on the story The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. It is the second film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics, and it was made after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and was released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on February 7, 1940.

The plot of the film involves an old wood-carver named Geppetto who carves a wooden puppet named Pinocchio (voice of Dickie Jones) being brought to life by a blue fairy (Evelyn Venable), who tells him he can become a real boy if he proves himself "brave, truthful, and unselfish". Thus begin the puppet's adventures to become a real boy, which involve many encounters with a host of unsavory characters.

The film was adapted by Aurelius Battaglia, William Cottrell, Otto Englander, Erdman Penner, Joseph Sabo, Ted Sears, and Webb Smith from Collodi's book. The production was supervised by Ben Sharpsteen and Hamilton Luske, and the film's sequences were directed by Norman Ferguson, T. Hee, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney, and Bill Roberts.

Pinocchio won two Academy Awards, one for Best Original Score and one for Best Original Song for the song "When You Wish upon a Star".

Sun May 08, 2005 10:05 am
La Bella Vito

One of my all time favorite movies. Definitely one of Disney's best animated films. The animation is spectacular, and the music is brilliant. I thought Pinocchio was a great movie, and the whole carnival scene is funny and creepy at the same time. I thought the underwater scenes with all of the fish creatures was amazing. The whole whale chase scene was one of the best parts of the film. I just loved this movie. If I ever have kids I'm definitely going to show this movie to them.

A+

Sun May 08, 2005 4:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

Its not a favorite of mine, but its definitely a true classic!, great music and animation

A-

Sun May 08, 2005 4:32 pm
La Bella Vito

They should release a digitally remastered special edition dvd. I mean Bambi got it, and Pinocchio is just as special.

Sun May 08, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

PINOCCHIO, while slightly overrated, is still a beautifully told and well animated gem with a great message. Definitely recommended.

8/10 (B+)

Sun May 08, 2005 4:59 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

This is the first film I have ever seen, I loved it then, I love it now.

- A

Sun May 08, 2005 6:10 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Pinocchio (1940)
I saw this when I was a kid, too young to properly appreciate movies, but I definitely remember being scared by the WereDonkey scene. It is still really intense too, as is their entire escape from Pleasure Island.

What I definitely did not catch as a kid was Disney's skewering of Hollywood. They paint it as a place where irresponsible guardians leave their wooden boys, who choose acting over intelligence, to be preyed upon by grifters and pedophiles. Ruthless. And yet still true. This movie is pretty ahead of its time in terms of wokeness, there are no stereotype characters and Jiminy displays shame when accidentally touching the booty of a wooden woman.

Also, watching this after Fables was a little like watching Malcom in the Middle after Breaking Bad. Sure they just seem like goofy, eccentric dads - but we know they are up to something because of the darkness that lies within.

A-

Sun May 10, 2020 2:54 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Pinocchio (1940)
A step up from Snow White in every way. The pacing is excellent, the world building is spectacular, there’s darkness and suspense, identifiable characters, definitely the first great Disney film.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]