Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Ocean's Eleven (2001) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Ocean's Eleven (2001) 
College Boy Z

Post Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Ocean's Eleven

Quote:
Ocean's Eleven is a 2001 comedy-crime caper and remake of the 1960 Rat Pack caper film of the same name. The 2001 film was directed by Steven Soderbergh and features an ensemble cast including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, Andy García, and Julia Roberts. The film was a success at the box office and with critics. Soderbergh directed two sequels, Ocean's Twelve in 2004 and Ocean's Thirteen in 2007.

One of my favorites.

A

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

I enjoyed it. One of the best crime movies of the last 10 years btw.

A-

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

A

Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:46 pm
Superfreak

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

All style and no substance; like most Steven Soderbergh films. The movie is overlong with an emsemble cast so large that many characters get no development, for instance, Matt Damon. I also found the movie to be too clever by half, especially the ending, which made Clooney come off as smarmy. Julie Roberts also looked unpleasent.

I think the appeal of the movie came from the location, but once that expirence wore off, we were exposed to a so-so movie caper movie where we felt the characters were never truly in danger, no matter how menacing Andy Garcia tried to be.

C.

edit: seems this was an Ocean's 12 review.

Last edited by Caius on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Extremely entertaining. Probably the best heist film there is.

A

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:14 am
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Ocean's Eleven is easily one of the most entertaining films I've seen in the past few years. Yes it's style over substance, but if it was the other way around, you would have a boring three hour film where we know too much about the characters, instead of just having fun while watching the group pull of the heist. Besides, in the running time we learn enough about each character to know why they're there.

As for the look of the film, well I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. The film is absolutely stunning to look at. The bright lights of Vegas are, well, bright. The scene at the waterfall with the group is a great shot.

The acting isn't anything to be impressed over, but what I did like is that they all seem like they're enjoying themselves.

Overall, it's a very entertaining film. I enjoyed every second of it.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Great Film. An amazing cast, and all of them did great. The heist was such as good idea, and in the end had me tricked for awhile and had to watch it again. A

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

Slick and shallow, but so damned entertaining that I love watching it over and over again, even if I know it all by heart. The dialogue is just so witty and clever and hilarious, even if the whole thing just reeks of smarminess and pretense. The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it, and the cast are basically just playing themselves, but none of that really bothers me while I'm watching it. Yes, it's style over substance, but the style is so superbly done that it doesn't really matter. Besides, it's not a stupid film, just not an overtly deep one. Just a very fun caper flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:13 pm
Squee

:glare:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:04 am
Stanley Cup

Fantastic fun film.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 am
Draughty

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Out to Sea - Ocean's 11

Some cool stuff going on in Ocean's 11, but the story dawdles along and doesn't have any snap to it. There's lots better heist movies out there than this one, including this year's The Score. The big name actor's were some fun to watch - George was George, not necessarily a good thing; Brad's already done way better work this year in Snatch and Spy Game; Matt was nondescript; Julia was barely in the film -- I liked some of the lesser 11 more, it was especially nice to see Carl Reiner back on the screen. I went to Las Vegas for the first time last year, and even this setting was shown in an underwhelming manner. C'mon this is the guy who made The Limey (an outstanding film!) - Soderbergh's definitely slumming it on this one, or should I say slumping it -- Traffic and Erin Brokovitch were none too good either...

2 out of 5.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am
You must have big rats

It was disappointing to me. I tuink this is a case of a film when you've got an excellent cast together, but instead of it actually working together and having chemitsry, all they do most of the time is stand around looking cool and talking some trivial stuff. It is a great cast ensemble on paper, not such a great one de facto, though. I see it in contrast to such films as Sin City or The Family Stone where the cast ensemble actually interacts very well. Here the ensemble was just shamefully underused. The rest of the film is just your typical heist flick. Entertaining most of the time, though never outstanding. I was really let down that I didn't enjoy the film as much I hoped to. However, I thought that the sequel was actually decent and not really worse than the original.

Maybe I'll like the third film more, but that is doubtful as the franchise seems to have found its forumla and that's not the one I enjoy in particular.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:54 am

Post Re: Ocean's Eleven
Magnus wrote:
This is what "escapist" films should be about. One of the most rewatchable films ever. Fun for all ages.

exactly my opinion, I am actually going to form a review of this film tomorrow, because this is one of my favorite films (not one of the best though) but I am tired to do it now.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magnus wrote:
This is what "escapist" films should be about. One of the most rewatchable films ever. Fun for all ages.

Agreed. I watch it just about every time it's on TNT.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

A very solid and highly enjoyable heist flick. It's the best of its franchise and still a lot of fun to watch more than seven years later.

B+

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 pm
Sbil

Enormous fun. A-

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 am
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
I was really let down that I didn't enjoy the film as much I hoped to. However, I thought that the sequel was actually decent and not really worse than the original.

Maybe I'll like the third film more, but that is doubtful as the franchise seems to have found its forumla and that's not the one I enjoy in particular.

This is an odd analysis of the series.

O13 did indeed return to the original formula as you predicted, but if anything O12 didn't continue the formula, it broke the mold (which was the reason it was hated by many and loved by some)...

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Great film that does well with the premise. Two things the heist in itself if never WOW, plus the characters do not have chemistry among each other. Other than that its great movie that's re-watchable with stars doing great individually.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:26 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Loved it back in the day, enjoyed both sequels too. But my fondest memory is the A+ paper I wrote about it in college. My theory explored the idea that the entire movie takes place in Clooney's mind thinking about what he'll do when he gets out (The question asked by the parole board in the opening of the movie)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]