Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Conan the Barbarian (1982) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Conan the Barbarian (1982) 
College Boy Z

Post Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Conan the Barbarian

Quote:
Conan the Barbarian is a 1982 action-adventure fantasy film by director John Milius and is recognized as the acting breakthrough of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had previously been a famous bodybuilder. The film is loosely based on the Conan the Barbarian stories by Robert E. Howard and was written by Oliver Stone and John Milius, set in the mythical Hyborian Age. It was followed in 1984 by a lighter, but less successful sequel, Conan the Destroyer. Both Conan the Barbarian and its sequel are sword and sorcery epic tales that include magic, mythical creatures, and fantastical events. The score for Conan the Barbarian was composed by Basil Poledouris.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:31 am
George A. Romero

One of the best fantasy, sword and sorcery epics ever made. this movie is bloody, bold and beautiful. i can watch this movie countless times and seem to like it more and more each time. james earl jones steals the show as he brilliantly portrays thulsa doom.

A

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:34 am
Extraordinary

A great fantasy film film,that is fun and very violent,the characters are great,i really cared for the trio and it has the best score ever put on film IMO.
Its a shame Arnold never got the chance to do King Conan,that would have kicked ass!

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I was a huge Conan fan from the comics, and my brother was way more of a fan than I was. One of the things I buried with him was a copy of Conan The Barbarian #100. My dad took us to the drive-in with our uncle (who's a year younger than me) right after our little league game, and it was the first time I got to experience the joy of seeing a Marvel comic on the big screen. (Marvel licensed characters back then)

Conan was one of the most interesting characters in comics, and they picked the perfect guy to play the part. I actually have a DVD that includes both Conan movies, and it might be the only commentary that Arnold has ever done. I don't have anything else with him doing commentary. The movie was big and epic, but misses the boat a little on what made Conan so interesting, and I didn't like how they lifted some stuff from Belit, the she-pirate that Conan traveled the Black Coast with for 3 years until her death, and gave it to Valeria, who was a cheap imitation, and Sadahl Bergman is probably as worse actor than Arnold was. She was a physical presence, though, and I remember hearing that she injured more stuntmen than Arnold did. :hahaha:

James Earl Jones in a very menacing villian as Thulsa Doom, but again, that wasn't a Conan adversary, it was an adversary of Kull the Conqueror, another Robert E. Howard character. My knowledge of that stuff probably hurt more than helped in the case of Conan.

B

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:05 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Conan the Barbarian (1982)
This movie is so fucking boring.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 am
Pure Phase

I want trixster brought before me, and I want to hear the lamentation of Canada's women.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 pm
now we know

Conan the Barbarian

Musically it's so powerful, and as the film content is sublime, the music elevates it above perfection and into a group of films that mean too much to me to attribute a poxy "grade" to.

But as I can't leave it empty, I suppose I'll give it this: A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I just revisited Conan the Barbarian. It is truly a sword and sorcery masterpiece. The score is beyond words. It reaches into my soul. So strong and forceful. Drums, French horns, the lot. Very motivating, and very world-building. I couldn't stop watching. Even the slower parts. It helps that I am reading the "Conan" section in Arnold's autobiography at the moment, so I am linking all of his memories (of preparation, anecdotes, of the direction, of the costuming etc.) as I see them on-screen. It might be the best way to experience a book. A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

My 2006 review can - theoretically - be found in an unknown .doc file, but the short version, the conclusion, the so-called gist was and remains: 9/10.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]