Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Black Panther 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 22

Black Panther 
now we know

Post Re: Black Panther
Well, it shares the same basic plot, and it does it twice. The overall movie has it (where Boseman is Scar), or just the end part has it (where Jordan is Scar). Plus it's set in Africa. The similarities are there. But they do not hinder the film in any way. It is such a weak criticism. If you dislike the film, be man enough to say it. Don't hide behind such a weak criticism as "oh, it is similar to that other film I saw". So many people are doing just that, when actually they want to say "I disliked it", but are too afraid to because they will be bullied and branded by SJWs as a racist.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes it has similarities but its not a copy paste of Lion King that I have heard many people claiming in comments/reviews (not a direct jab at zwackerm but I have seen many reviews claiming it to be a copy of Lion King). And I agree that's just saying we didn't like the movie and trying to come up with a reason.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:28 am
now we know

The film would have been better if T'Challa closed with a performance of "Hakuna Matata!". :funny:

The film is devoid of much joy. It is too self-important.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:36 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

People tried to undermine Avatar by calling it Pocohantas, this seems like a similar situation. Its just a way to remind people “hey these are kids movies not real movies Lawlz.” Pocohantas and Lion King are also not original stories, but based on Shakespeare plays. But again, thatd be giving them too much credit since Marvel has already ruined cinema.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 pm
Hold the door!

Magnus wrote:
Avatar isn't Pocohantas that's silly.

It's FernGully.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:08 pm
Forum General

Rewatched this and it drops quite a bit.

Maybe it'll have an Iron Man like resurrection, but I doubt it.

It's true that you don't catch everything on first viewing, and indeed I thought Killmonger was a lot better villain before.

However, upon rewatch, it kinda fails spectacularly. He is so obsessed with Wakanda, he supposedly is helping Klaue so that he can find a way there, but then he kills him and flies by himself...

He also kills his girlfriend on the way just because...

Then, he brings the whole tirade about racism in as his supposed motive, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

In fact, a lot of the anti-white jokes fall flat the second time around because Wakanda never experienced any colonialism, and if they felt so strongly about it, then they wouldn't be closed until this time.

The leader of the Border Tribe is woefully underdeveloped. In fact, the script is pretty shit. This guy is supposed to be T'Challa's best friend and Okoye's lover but shows absolutely no reason why he would be either. Makes a lot of dumbass decisions including wanting to conquer the world...when world wars have stopped for 70 years and if there is any colonialism going on, it's through capitalism and materialism so conquering/conquered is fucking stupid motivation. Terrible character.

There were a lot of interesting themes, one in particular would've been tradition vs modernity and seen with Okoye vs Nakia in whether to flee or stay. Kind of like why the military in countries across the world feel the need to serve the leader. They serve the people. But, that has gotten lost in translation for every culture and country ever. Humans are fucked up. Anyway, the film didn't go there.

I was trying to understand the motivation of T'Challa to accept the fight rather than simply saying, this man, worked with Klaue and killed innocent people. Yeah, he might be feeling guilty for his father's actions and again the tradition vs development issue, but unfortunately it is not well written. In fact, post-Klaue killing, most of the scenes are really badly written. Character motivations are all over the place.

If Killmonger was not such a madman from the offset, you'd probably give the Tribe Leaders some slack in accepting his request, but he basically says fuck your traditions but let me fight in the ritual battle. Uh, what? Sounds like right-wing nuts and Republicans with the double standard.

Anyway, the pent-up shit about slavery and etc. doesn't work very well. Killmonger comes across like ISIS. I understand that certainly the conditions can create such a person, like we see in the real world, and the motivations may not be rational or logical, and that obviously white males with privilege caused the mess we're in today, but the nuances of good storytelling were absent to get this point across. Maybe the tragedy is that you can get such people in the world motivated by false truths.

But, it doesn't jive with Killmonger. So, after all that, he's actually just another bad villain. Better than shit like Mandarin and Malekeith and Kaecillius but a real missed opportunity.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

(The Stargate / Relic Hunter TV shows + The staging of the Lion King Musical + Regular 90s Disney TV/DTV productions + Stereotyping Fifa ads for the next World Cup on African soil, as imagined by Swiss marketing fascists (also known as a modern version of 'Die grauen Männer/Herren') + An empty paper bag as the title character + A.I.-generated minor characters + Forest Whitaker as the Karl Dall version of Rafiki + Patchwork leafage used as a substandard green screen to re-create the look of the Star War prequels or the Spawn (1997) hell sequence using smartphones + Boundlessly generic action scenes, plot devices, camera work and editing + A massively inferior variant of the original Donkey Kong Country soundtrack, as envisaged by Hans Zimmer's 23rd testicle slave Franz Roman Bichler + Martin Luther King's left eyebrow)² - Baghira = Black Panther

3/10

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Fri May 04, 2018 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

Based off its RT scores this film gets hit from both backlash and the Alt Marvel fans for being championed by SJWs. Sure it’s a smidge overrated, honestly Wonder Woman is better for the SJW films precisely because it is less topic and more universal in its themes (which it squanders slightly in its final act), but it is still solid outside of the weak action and black mirror storyline which has been done to death in the MCU.

Still like an A-

Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

I thought this was a pretty middling MCU. I liked the fights for the throne and the car chase action scene, but what Kilmonger wanted to do and MBJ's performance was disappointing to me. He spoke every line he was playing an impoverished kid from the projects talking back to his white school teacher. As mentioned the writing of his plot also doesn't make the most sense. He doesn't need Klaue dead or alive or the vibranium they stole when he could just show in Wakanda with his grandfather's ring and challenge T'Challa. Him beating T'Challa could have happened before he ever became king in the first place.

Kaluuya turning on T'Challa could have been more compelling if he or his motivations for it were more developed, or if there was any fallout for it. The Martin Freeman parts were lame filler.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:13 pm
now we know

Yeah, I've actually come to a conclusion that Michael B. Jordan isn't a very good actor. All he has in his repertoire is the 'I'm-the-victim' frown and 'I'm-the-victim' attitude.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This actually improves with a re watch. It's about a half hour too long, but it's one of the better Marvel solo films.

Shuri steals the movie, IMO.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:17 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
it's one of the better Marvel solo films.

The white guilt is strong in this one.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
it's one of the better Marvel solo films.

The white guilt is strong in this one.

Please, it’s only cucked up Democrats that have white guilt.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 am
Superman: The Movie

:funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Great movie that delivers goods till the final act but stumbles again. Luckily the villain here is good but still underutilized. The whole cast is great here and the while the world of Wakanda is a bit over the top it works in context of the movie. I still really love those river scenes and the car chase is brilliant action setup.

Tue May 19, 2020 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3