Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 59 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 29 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 109

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 
I just lost the game

How do you know that Padme was 6-7 months pregnant when she told Anakin? They never said any such thing in the movie, and that isn't exactly something that one would assume.

Maybe because when she was wearing something that could show her figure she actually looked seven months pregnant?

Quote:
Well i for one can't believe that Obi-wan was 40 in Ep3, he was in his mid thirties

Check the timeline yourself. Even if you don't want to rely on outwrad resources for Star Wars (which I don't) you can tell in The Phantom Menace that Obi-Wan was at the youngest 18, giving him the extreme benefit of the doubt. I'd say he looked more 25 (which is actually Ewan McGregor's age at TPM's release, unless I'm mistaken). Now, we know that it was a ten year span between espisodes 1 and 2. And we know it was a three year span between episodes 2 and 3. 13 years. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, he'd be 31 by ROTS's end. Another 20 years until ANH and Obi-Wan is 51. Like I said, that's giving him the benefit of the doubt. If you add on even another 7 years (to get him at 25 in TPM) then that's a 58 year old Obi-Wan, only four years younger than the actual Alec Guiness in ANH.

Quote:
I guess that it just evens out that way, as Obi-wan didn't age any more than 3yrs between Ep1 and Ep2 despite the fact that he was supposed to have aged 10yrs. Then the fact that Anakin obviously ages a lot between Ep1 and Ep2 while Padme doesn't appear to age a day.

That's odd, because usually when a person goes from being 17 to 20 they at least look like they've aged 3 years. Now imagine what some of the best make-up money can buycould do to Padme? I'd say that's at least another two years. Plus you have to factor in changes in the character, including tone, maturity, and emotion, which DEFINITELY shows a ten-year improvement form character to character in Padme in the first two episodes, regardless on whether the make-up et al. show it.

And you're telling me that this:

and this:

Only look like a three year difference?

Mon May 30, 2005 11:49 pm
Teenage Dream

Quote:
The visuals weren't even that good in Sith. It looked like a video game, mostly. And Lucas has zero sense of style.

I enjoyed some of the light saber battles, but I was mostly just bored and laughing unintentionally. Whoever said all of the boring as hell political dialogue from the first two was gone was lying. There were several blocks of fifteen and twenty minutes where NOTHING happened. And the last ten minutes are just...horrible. Some of the cheesiest stuff i've ever seen in a, you know, real life movie. I thought i'd die from embarrassment during the "NOOOOOOO" thing, and Padme's child birthing scene is so incompentely staged that one would have a hard time figuring out what was going on if one didn't know any better. I guess it's better than the other two (in the sense that I wasn't praying for the movie to end), but that's not saying much. Empire is still the only one that's any good, and Lucas needs to permanently step away from both keyboard and camera. He's a great producer and a wonderful storyteller, but man alive....if you were to judge his intelligence based on his film's dialogue...[-( ...it's like all of his characters are ESL. I'm sure i'll be hung out to dry for this, but this is not that good. Remove all of the fanboy posturing and you're left with a generally incompetently made film with some nice action pieces and decent special effects.

I gave it a C.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:49 pm
Lord of filth

Officially, Obi-Wan is 25 during The Phatom Menace, this is straight from Lucas himself. This is important because Anakin is still a Padawan at 19, which is typical, and becomes a Jedi early, sometime before Revenge of the Sith. So between 19-22. At 22 Obi-Wan says Anakin would be the youngest council member ever.

While not important in the grand scheme of things, Lucas, in interviews, in commentary and partially in the movies sets up the timeline. He has said that Obi-Wan is 25 in TPM on the commentary, Anakin is 9 years old (various interviews) and that Padme is 15... From that, we can take the "I haven't seen her in 10 years line" to put Attack of the Clones at 10+ TPM. Lucas has said specifically there is 3 years in between Episode 2 and 3 so then that places Episode 3.

Lucas has said at various times that Luke and Leia are roughly 17 to 20. Being that Carrie Fisher was 19 at the time of Star Wars' filming (Hamill was 25), it's generally accepted that the twins were about 19.

However it works out, it is said by Lucas that The Phantom Menace takes place roughly 30-40 years before A New Hope. It's generally considered by the fan community that The Phantom Menace takes place 32 years before ANH. 10 + 3 + 19.

Obi-Wan, therefore, is 57 (ish) by the time of A New Hope. Alec Guiness was 61 or 62 (1976ish) when he played Obi-Wan the first time. So in general, I think they did as good as they could matching up the ages of the two actors (which is never going to be perfect).

If we use non canon resources:

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/timeline/

Relative ages of Star Wars folks, If A New Hope = year "0". BSW4 = Before Star Wars 4

Yoda - 896 BSW4
Jabba the Hutt - 600 BSW4 (on Nal Hutta)
Chewbacca - 200 BSW4 (on Kashyyyk)
C-3PO - 112 BSW4 (the parts that eventually make up his final build are built starting at this time)
Count Dooku - 103 BSW4 (born on Serenno)
Qui-Gon Jinn - 92 BSW4 (no planet of origion)
Cos Palpatine - 82 BSW4 (born on Naboo)
Shmi Skywalker - 72 BSW4
Mace Windu - 72 BSW4 (born on Haruun Kal)
Jango Fett - 68 BSW4 (born on Concord Dawn?)
Bail Organa - 68 BSW4 (born on Alderaan)
Wilhuff Tarkin - 64 BSW4 (born on Eriadu)
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 57 BSW4 (born on Tatooine)
Khameir Sarin - 54 BSW4 (born on Iridonia) this is Maul
Jar-Jar Binks - 52 BSW4 (born on Naboo)
Mon Mothma - 48 BSW4 (born on Chadrilla)
Padme Amidala - 47 BSW4 (born on Naboo)
Ackbar - 44 BSW4 (born IN A TRAP on Calamari)
Anakin Skywalker - 42 BSW4
R2-D2 - Created in 39 BSW4
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 32 BSW4
About 1,000,000,000 Clones - 32 BSW4 (start of production on Kamino)
Boba Fett - 32 BSW4 (created on Kamino)
Lando Calrissian - 31 BSW4
Han Solo - 29 BSW4 (born on Corellia)
Grievous - 27 BSW4 (isn't born, but becomes robotic)
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 22 BSW4
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 19 BSW4
Luke and Leia Skywalker - 19 BSW4 (born on Polis Massa)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 3.3 ASW4
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 4 ASW4

Tue May 31, 2005 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

This post probably means I won't ever have sex with another girl again.

Tue May 31, 2005 1:51 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

My review from Cinemania:

Quote:
The visuals weren't even that good in Sith. It looked like a video game, mostly. And Lucas has zero sense of style.

I enjoyed some of the light saber battles, but I was mostly just bored and laughing unintentionally. Whoever said all of the boring as hell political dialogue from the first two was gone was lying. There were several blocks of fifteen and twenty minutes where NOTHING happened. And the last ten minutes are just...horrible. Some of the cheesiest stuff i've ever seen in a, you know, real life movie. I thought i'd die from embarrassment during the "NOOOOOOO" thing, and Padme's child birthing scene is so incompentely staged that one would have a hard time figuring out what was going on if one didn't know any better. I guess it's better than the other two (in the sense that I wasn't praying for the movie to end), but that's not saying much. Empire is still the only one that's any good, and Lucas needs to permanently step away from both keyboard and camera. He's a great producer and a wonderful storyteller, but man alive....if you were to judge his intelligence based on his film's dialogue...[-( ...it's like all of his characters are ESL. I'm sure i'll be hung out to dry for this, but this is not that good. Remove all of the fanboy posturing and you're left with a generally incompetently made film with some nice action pieces and decent special effects.

I gave it a C.

Sorry, but I think your review is full of shit.. The FX were outstanding, everything right down to the Lava planet.. The whole brouhaha bitchfest over the acting and dialogue in a movie like SW is mute and pointless and is only used as a crutch to put the film down cause you know these films have never been about the acting and dialogue so it's easy and accessible.... It's a complete wash..

Tue May 31, 2005 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

makeshift wrote:
My review from Cinemania:

Quote:

I gave it a C.

Sorry, but I think your review is full of shit.. The FX were outstanding, everything right down to the Lava planet.. The whole brouhaha bitchfest over the acting and dialogue in a movie like SW is mute and pointless and is only used as a crutch to put the film down cause you know these films have never been about the acting and dialogue so it's easy and accessible.... It's a complete wash..

i have to agree with bkb on this one, how the hell the FX were poor on this film? its the best thing a movie theater has presented to date, and that is a fact. I think ppl are so over they're heads that they cant enjoy a Fantasy for what it is....a FANTASY, namely Star Wars, jeez in the end its just a movie.

peace.

P.S. ROTS is actually the best SW of the lot, in all categories.

Tue May 31, 2005 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Where is the member named StarWars? He doesn't post anymore, he's probably too busy watching EPISODE III every day :wink:

That poor son of a bitch died :cry:

Tue May 31, 2005 4:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

How do you know that Padme was 6-7 months pregnant when she told Anakin? They never said any such thing in the movie, and that isn't exactly something that one would assume.
Well i for one can't believe that Obi-wan was 40 in Ep3, he was in his mid thirties, which would put him in his mid fifties in Ep4. That would also make him a very bad looking mid-fifty year old. I guess that it just evens out that way, as Obi-wan didn't age any more than 3yrs between Ep1 and Ep2 despite the fact that he was supposed to have aged 10yrs. Then the fact that Anakin obviously ages a lot between Ep1 and Ep2 while Padme doesn't appear to age a day. It appears that Lucas has some problems with keeping track of people's aging in general.
The biggest problem i have with Ep3 is that there are so many problems. A movie that needs so much explanation to fill in the tons of holes is obviously deeply flawed and therefore NOT A GOOD MOVIE, but this gets pretty good WOM as people say that "it wasn't as bad as the first 2" which other genius people mistake for good WOM.
Just because one movie is less crappy as 2 other ones, it isn't good by default.
What makes you think that i am documentary fan? The fact that i like my movies to make a little sense? I know, that is a lot to ask for (especially from Lucas)
I also have no problem with suspension of disbelief, just about every movie requires it a little. I have a problem with when a movie depends so heavily on SOD that it falls apart when you examine it even the slightest bit, like in Ep3.

Well you clearly have your heart set on hating this film - and that's certainly your perogative. Just don't expect much progress in trying to bring down the enjoyment level of those of us who found this new episode a thrilling and logical conclusion to the series...

(Quote of the day: "You are a sad, strange, little man. You have my pity. Farewell." - Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story 1)

Tue May 31, 2005 6:15 am
Teh Mexican

The movie was OK, it wasnt bad at all, although the acting sucked big time, but i really dont care for that in a Star Wars film, if i was grading all the trilogy together on the acting i will prolly give it a D+
For Me it was to slow and had some boring moment, seriously i was falling a sleep
-of course the duels and the SFX were great.
Im not getting into little details because i dont follow the story and the characters that much like some of you guys.

It will not get to the A terretory from me because:
-the editing between the sequences was so bad, and sooo much cuts all over the movie.....like.... every 5 seconds
-The Battle scenes were BAD
-"The Humor", it sucked, and it really didnt worked for me
-WTF is wrong with R2D2?!
-Where the HELL is Chewie!!, i only saw im for...like... 5 mins :mad:
-C3PO same has Chewie
-the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO was hilarious, and so not Darth Vader
-It wasnt as entertaining as the First two, but the story was MUCH better

I honestly didnt felt the exciment and the buzz when i was watching it, when it ended i was so neutral, it was like i didnt see nothing at all

Im going to be VERY nice and for the sake of my life im giving it a B-

Im really not dissapointed because i didnt expect the best....so i guess i was right!
Empire Strikes Back still stands as my Favorite Star Wars Film

:smile:

Tue May 31, 2005 12:15 pm
Squee

This post probably means I won't ever have sex with another girl again.

That's alright. *comforts*

You can spend more time with me!

:glare:

Tue May 31, 2005 1:32 pm
Indiana Jones IV

My rather disjointed review. And it's disjointed because my views of the film are disjointed.

I admit, it felt REALLY strange to be sitting in a dark theatre watching that yellow text scrolling up. I haven't seen that since 1983.

The action sequences were beautiful, if you don't muddle over what action is taking place. The last 15 minutes where everything tied into ANH were fairly powerful, except the birthing scene. Yeesh. John Williams' score was very powerful, especially when everybody started killing Jedi. Was that the same choral music from the Luke/Vader fight in RotJ? I thought it was kinda neat how the Jedi Council met by hologram, giving new meaning to "phoning in a performance."

Some minor quibbles:
  • In those 19 years, Uncle Owen aged even worse than Obi-Wan.
  • Anyone who says that Gollum-in-the-lava scene was unrealistic...well. RotS is even worse. You can't even save it with Poetic License.
  • Battle droids shouldn't be saying stuff like "you're welcome" in that sarcastic way. But at least they were cute.
  • I thought Yoda was much better as a muppet than he was as CGI. Yoda's the kind of guy that you need to be full 3-D in a Nightmare Before Christmas kind of way, not a Pixar kind of way.
  • Each dwelling has its own landing pad, with a short walkway to the main "house." Everyone just hopped off the ship and strode down the walkway, apparently unaware that they were on a two-foot wide balance beam 450 up, with no railing or fencing at all. I guess nobody is afraid of heights in this galaxy far far away.
  • It took me a while to see that Grevious had a live beating heart. But if he's going to be hacking and wheezing like that, wouldn't he need live lungs? :razz:

Some larger problems:
  • Why didn't Anakin disable the security cameras when he was killing younglings? If was spying on both sides at once, wouldn't he want to keep that secret? #-o
  • It's a big deal when Obi-Wan says that he knows Anakin is the father of Padme's babies. I didn't see AotC, but when did this become some big secret? She's a powerful senator, presumably with an entourage. Everyone knew she spent time with Anakin. Anakin even hops off his ship into her house in broad daylight, and later sleeps in her bed. Then she shows up with a belly and nobody even guesses who daddy is?
  • Nobody knows Padme is carrying twins until she's delivering? No sonograms? Not a SINGLE pre-natal doctor visit? Coruscant didn't look like a Third-World plant to me...
  • Emperor gets on the phone with all the commanders and says "execute order 66" to start killing Jedi. What bothered me was that not a SINGLE one of these soldiers says "did I hear that right" or "No, these Jedi seem like nice people," or looks sad, or hesitates in any way at all. They just turn around and do it. If they sell that kind of brainwashing in a bottle, I'll buy some to use on my friends.

Biggest problem:
Anakin's turn to the darkside was too fast. Sorry. I know they were building up to it in AotC, but at the beginning of RotS, Anakin was still saying things like "I shouldn't have done that." He was still hesitant about attacking Mace. He wants to learn about the Dark Side mainly to save Padme, which is halfway legit. Then, he turns evil in about 5 seconds flat. There wasn't even any conflict in his face. And when did Anakin learn about the Dark Side of the Force? All he did was carry out the Emperor's laundry list of demands. Kill some kids, kill some separatists, and oh by the way pick me up a Silmaril and the Staves of the five wizards. I was thinking, um, Anakin doesn't have TIME for this. He's only doing this to save Padme, and she's puffing out more and more with each costume change. At some point Anakin should have asked about Padme, but he doesn't. Even if Anaking is learning Dark Side in his spare time we really should have seen it. Anakin's life paralleled Luke's life in so many ways, I would like to have seen some Sidious/Anakin training, much like we saw that Yoda/Luke training.

Why does Star Wars get some automatic get-out-of-jail-free card when it comes to dialogue and acting? Just because it's Star Wars? No other movie is granted such courtesy, heck, not even Dungeons and Dragons. And you guys say Portman was better than usual? *Cringe*cringe*cringe* every time she was on screen. "Something wonderful has happened..." :roll: I haven't heard THAT line since I stopped watching soap operas in 1985. I thought Hayden was OK, but only OK. Ewan was a little more than OK. Kenny R2D2 was the best one. Everyone else was reading off a teleprompter.

On the whole, it's an enjoyable movie. It's odd for me list all these problems and then turn around and say I really enjoyed myself. Each time I started to say, Excuse me, where's all this life-saving dark side of the force here? I'd like to see that, thank you very much. --- I got swept away by some fight scene. It was like watching Matrix, except in reverse. Imagine if you saw Matrix Reloaded and came out saying WTF. Then the next movie was Matrix 1, and you came out saying...This one was so much better...why didn't they do this in the first place? Once I started listing quibbles, I realized I should be giving it a lower grade, but I admit I enjoyed myself during most of it. Also, this was the movie which tied into ANH...so I can't be dissing. It's also very difficult for me to figure out whether I should give this a good grade because I enjoyed myself, or give it a bad grade because of the quibbles. I should also say that I've been rather conditioned to look for flaws, loonie that I am. 8-[

My straight-out-of-the-theatre grade is between B+ and A-. It's probably closer to a B to B- now. That 82% on Rt is about right.

Tue May 31, 2005 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

My rather disjointed review. And it's disjointed because my views of the film are disjointed.

I admit, it felt REALLY strange to be sitting in a dark theatre watching that yellow text scrolling up. I haven't seen that since 1983.

The action sequences were beautiful, if you don't muddle over what action is taking place. The last 15 minutes where everything tied into ANH were fairly powerful, except the birthing scene. Yeesh. John Williams' score was very powerful, especially when everybody started killing Jedi. Was that the same choral music from the Luke/Vader fight in RotJ? I thought it was kinda neat how the Jedi Council met by hologram, giving new meaning to "phoning in a performance."

Some minor quibbles:
  • In those 19 years, Uncle Owen aged even worse than Obi-Wan.
  • Anyone who says that Gollum-in-the-lava scene was unrealistic...well. RotS is even worse. You can't even save it with Poetic License.
  • Battle droids shouldn't be saying stuff like "you're welcome" in that sarcastic way. But at least they were cute.
  • I thought Yoda was much better as a muppet than he was as CGI. Yoda's the kind of guy that you need to be full 3-D in a Nightmare Before Christmas kind of way, not a Pixar kind of way.
  • Each dwelling has its own landing pad, with a short walkway to the main "house." Everyone just hopped off the ship and strode down the walkway, apparently unaware that they were on a two-foot wide balance beam 450 up, with no railing or fencing at all. I guess nobody is afraid of heights in this galaxy far far away.
  • It took me a while to see that Grevious had a live beating heart. But if he's going to be hacking and wheezing like that, wouldn't he need live lungs? :razz:

Some larger problems:
  • Why didn't Anakin disable the security cameras when he was killing younglings? If was spying on both sides at once, wouldn't he want to keep that secret? #-o
  • It's a big deal when Obi-Wan says that he knows Anakin is the father of Padme's babies. I didn't see AotC, but when did this become some big secret? She's a powerful senator, presumably with an entourage. Everyone knew she spent time with Anakin. Anakin even hops off his ship into her house in broad daylight, and later sleeps in her bed. Then she shows up with a belly and nobody even guesses who daddy is?
  • Nobody knows Padme is carrying twins until she's delivering? No sonograms? Not a SINGLE pre-natal doctor visit? Coruscant didn't look like a Third-World plant to me...
  • Emperor gets on the phone with all the commanders and says "execute order 66" to start killing Jedi. What bothered me was that not a SINGLE one of these soldiers says "did I hear that right" or "No, these Jedi seem like nice people," or looks sad, or hesitates in any way at all. They just turn around and do it. If they sell that kind of brainwashing in a bottle, I'll buy some to use on my friends.

Biggest problem:
Anakin's turn to the darkside was too fast. Sorry. I know they were building up to it in AotC, but at the beginning of RotS, Anakin was still saying things like "I shouldn't have done that." He was still hesitant about attacking Mace. He wants to learn about the Dark Side mainly to save Padme, which is halfway legit. Then, he turns evil in about 5 seconds flat. There wasn't even any conflict in his face. And when did Anakin learn about the Dark Side of the Force? All he did was carry out the Emperor's laundry list of demands. Kill some kids, kill some separatists, and oh by the way pick me up a Silmaril and the Staves of the five wizards. I was thinking, um, Anakin doesn't have TIME for this. He's only doing this to save Padme, and she's puffing out more and more with each costume change. At some point Anakin should have asked about Padme, but he doesn't. Even if Anaking is learning Dark Side in his spare time we really should have seen it. Anakin's life paralleled Luke's life in so many ways, I would like to have seen some Sidious/Anakin training, much like we saw that Yoda/Luke training.

Why does Star Wars get some automatic get-out-of-jail-free card when it comes to dialogue and acting? Just because it's Star Wars? No other movie is granted such courtesy, heck, not even Dungeons and Dragons. And you guys say Portman was better than usual? *Cringe*cringe*cringe* every time she was on screen. "Something wonderful has happened..." :roll: I haven't heard THAT line since I stopped watching soap operas in 1985. I thought Hayden was OK, but only OK. Ewan was a little more than OK. Kenny R2D2 was the best one. Everyone else was reading off a teleprompter.

On the whole, it's an enjoyable movie. It's odd for me list all these problems and then turn around and say I really enjoyed myself. Each time I started to say, Excuse me, where's all this life-saving dark side of the force here? I'd like to see that, thank you very much. --- I got swept away by some fight scene. It was like watching Matrix, except in reverse. Imagine if you saw Matrix Reloaded and came out saying WTF. Then the next movie was Matrix 1, and you came out saying...This one was so much better...why didn't they do this in the first place? Once I started listing quibbles, I realized I should be giving it a lower grade, but I admit I enjoyed myself during most of it. Also, this was the movie which tied into ANH...so I can't be dissing. It's also very difficult for me to figure out whether I should give this a good grade because I enjoyed myself, or give it a bad grade because of the quibbles. I should also say that I've been rather conditioned to look for flaws, loonie that I am. 8-[

My straight-out-of-the-theatre grade is between B+ and A-. It's probably closer to a B to B- now. That 82% on Rt is about right.

Hehe. I'm glad someone else noticed the total ineptitude involved in that birthing scene. It was a truly cringe inducing moment.

I agree with the rest of your review aswell, especially the comment about how SW gets a get-out-of-jail-free card continuously for it's atrocious writing and acting. I don't understand when it became okay for films to be poorly made in all regards except action set pieces.

Tue May 31, 2005 2:32 pm
College Boy Z

After the third viewing, I've come to two conclusions:

a) Natalie Portman really sucked in this film

aaaaaaaaaaaand...

b) This is so in my top 20 films ever

:)

Tue May 31, 2005 10:00 pm
I just lost the game

Nobody knows Padme is carrying twins until she's delivering? No sonograms? Not a SINGLE pre-natal doctor visit? Coruscant didn't look like a Third-World plant to me...

She might've known. And if she did know, and she somehow told Anakin in a scene we weren't shown, how was Obi-Wan or Yoda supposed to know come childbirth? Seeing as Obi-Wan said a grand total of about five words after he told Padme he knew the father, she didn't have a chance to tell him.

Not sure why she would never tell Anakin though.

Of course, just like today we have sonograms that can be misleading, there could be a shot that her monogram may have been misleading...in a technologically and knowledgably superior society...

Erm, ignore this post ;-)

Tue May 31, 2005 11:53 pm
I'm Batman

This movie was amazing. I saw it on bootleg and it still is one of the best movies I've ever seen. At times the acting is "bad" but overall some of the performances were amazing. I thought McGregor, Christensen, McDiarmid, Jackson, hell even Jimmy Smits were great in their roles. Portman was bad I admit, she had some of the worst lines in the movie. The scenes with Christensen and Portman talking about their love was just creepy. However, when Anakin turns to the dark side it is one of the most emotional and spine tingling moments in cinematic history. The fight scenes between Yoda/Sidious and Anakin/Obi-Wan are phenominal. I'll admit, the beginning was a bit boring, I don't need to see CGI stuff being blown up. My favorite part though is how everything ties in so well to ANH. I didn't sense many plot holes, and the ending was perfectly done, showing Luke with his new family, the man who would eventually bring down the Galatic Empire.

A

P.S. Does Chewbacca even need to be in this movie?

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:13 am
Lord of filth

Some larger problems:[list][*]Why didn't Anakin disable the security cameras when he was killing younglings? If was spying on both sides at once, wouldn't he want to keep that secret?

I think he was pretty much done spying at this point. He didn't like to spy to begin with.

Quote:
It's a big deal when Obi-Wan says that he knows Anakin is the father of Padme's babies. I didn't see AotC, but when did this become some big secret? She's a powerful senator, presumably with an entourage. Everyone knew she spent time with Anakin.

Apparently, according to Clone Wars, they never end up spending much time together.

Quote:
Nobody knows Padme is carrying twins until she's delivering? No sonograms? Not a SINGLE pre-natal doctor visit? Coruscant didn't look like a Third-World plant to me...

This made sense to me. Padme is paranoid about the senate finding out she's pregnant then drawing the line to her and Anakin. It would make sense that she did whatever possible to avoid letting ANYBODY know.

Quote:
Emperor gets on the phone with all the commanders and says "execute order 66" to start killing Jedi. What bothered me was that not a SINGLE one of these soldiers says "did I hear that right" or "No, these Jedi seem like nice people," or looks sad, or hesitates in any way at all. They just turn around and do it. If they sell that kind of brainwashing in a bottle, I'll buy some to use on my friends.

They genetically bred the clones this way. It's explained in Attack of the Clones.

More later...

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:37 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This movie was amazing. I saw it on bootleg and it still is one of the best movies I've ever seen. At times the acting is "bad" but overall some of the performances were amazing. I thought McGregor, Christensen, McDiarmid, Jackson, hell even Jimmy Smits were great in their roles. Portman was bad I admit, she had some of the worst lines in the movie. The scenes with Christensen and Portman talking about their love was just creepy. However, when Anakin turns to the dark side it is one of the most emotional and spine tingling moments in cinematic history. The fight scenes between Yoda/Sidious and Anakin/Obi-Wan are phenominal. I'll admit, the beginning was a bit boring, I don't need to see CGI stuff being blown up. My favorite part though is how everything ties in so well to ANH. I didn't sense many plot holes, and the ending was perfectly done, showing Luke with his new family, the man who would eventually bring down the Galatic Empire.

A

P.S. Does Chewbacca even need to be in this movie?

Well I suppose technically, Chewbacca didn't need to be in there, but it was a nice touch and tie-in to ANH and also, I think some of you WAYYY overly dissect movies like this for your own good.. Some of the nitpicks and questions I've seen brought up force me to raise an eyebrow at some of you and it's almost as though you dissected the hell out of FUN when you saw this as though you felt compelled to.. A little imagination anyone?? :-k Learn how to use it when viewing a movie or movies like this.. The whole acting and dialogue argument with these films are bullshit and the folks saying the CGI or FX were bad need to get their fucking eyes checked cause that was some of the best there was, even YES Surpassing what WETA did with the LOTR films and it's true and you know it..

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

After the third viewing, I've come to two conclusions:

a) Natalie Portman really sucked in this film

aaaaaaaaaaaand...

b) This is so in my top 20 films ever

:)

Natalie Portman should stay away from green screens.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:31 am
Indiana Jones IV

Please please, pay no attention to the quibbles I had. I'm trained to look for them..

RotS may have fared better if it had been stretched over 1.5 movies or so. I wanted more details of what went on in those 4-5 months: more of Yoda helping the Wookies, even some actual politics from Organa..Luke needed 20 minutes of fight/dialogue to turn away from the Dark Side. I wanted Anakin to take at least 20 minutes to turn toward the Dark Side; perhaps involving Windu.

Ack! If I'm starting to think up what I wanted to see, then it means that the movie was actually pretty good. If a movie's not good, you forget it immediately.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

BKB I loved the film. I thought the performances were great. I'm BARELY nitpicking at anything in my review.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:06 pm
I just lost the game

RotS may have fared better if it had been stretched over 1.5 movies or so. I wanted more details of what went on in those 4-5 months

As far as I know, the movie only takes place over a few days. Most Star Wars films have.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:58 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Erendis wrote:
RotS may have fared better if it had been stretched over 1.5 movies or so. I wanted more details of what went on in those 4-5 months

As far as I know, the movie only takes place over a few days. Most Star Wars films have.

Revenge of the Sith was over 4-5 months? eh? I think the longest "time" in Star Wars was The Empire Strikes Back which probably took around a month?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Trying to find logic in Ep3 is like trying to find where Lucas' chin ends and chest begins, it is impossible. There is just a great big mass of skin that connects them both, just like there is only a big mass of SFX that loosely connets all the "plot points" in Ep 3. I know that arguing with SW fans is pointless, as logic is a foreign concept, but i can't understand how someone can sit there and think that Ep3 makes perfect sense. Or how someone could openly state that the acting and dialog in Ep3 is really crappy but still give it an A-. If the acting and dialog are pure crap, then what is left to get it to an A-?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:47 pm
Star Trek XI

Trying to find logic in Ep3 is like trying to find where Lucas' chin ends and chest begins, it is impossible. There is just a great big mass of skin that connects them both, just like there is only a big mass of SFX that loosely connets all the "plot points" in Ep 3. I know that arguing with SW fans is pointless, as logic is a foreign concept, but i can't understand how someone can sit there and think that Ep3 makes perfect sense. Or how someone could openly state that the acting and dialog in Ep3 is really crappy but still give it an A-. If the acting and dialog are pure crap, then what is left to get it to an A-?

the acting in ROTS is far from being crap, but each as its opinion i guess.
By the way Ep3 makes perfect sense ;)

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

After four viewings, I've deduced this much about Star Wars:

-The dialogue, while far superior to that of its predessors, is still short of realistic standards.
-The acting isn't as bad as some people say it is, and Hayden Christianson was actually able to convince me he was Anakin most of the time.
-Natalie Portman did nothing but cry.
-Lucas still cannot direct worht shit.
-Grievous was a wasted character.
-There were a lot fo open plot holes.
-It's definitely in my top 30 of all time.

Zingaling can probably back me up here, because I took one of his posts as inspiration for mine.

ROTS has far too many flaws. The NOOO scream, over which people seem to be overreacting, is a bit too....laughable. Hayden Christianson did have some good moments, but there were several lines throughout the movie that were jsut so out of place and horribly given I had to snicker. Yoda's backward talk during his battle scene made him come off more annoying than badass.

But for all of its shortcomings, the movie ceases to amaze me every time I see it. Maybe its just the Star Wars fan getting the better of me (which I doubt, but nobody is perfect). The movie shows some great emotion and ties it to the originals very well, in spite of what a lot of people might say.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next