Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Great Wall 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

The Great Wall 
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Great Wall
A large, cultural-synthesis-minded production results, sadly, in a mediocre film in The Great Wall. The two primary talents—Matt Damon in front of the camera and director Zhang Yimou behind it—are both poorly suited for the material. This is Damon's least comfortable performance in a long time, perhaps ever, with his oddly unidentifiable (Irish-Texan?) accent, unflattering long hair, and unpersuasive slow-motion archery. His pro-forma hero's journey—the Western mercenary who fights for wealth and gunpowder, but finds a higher purpose in the East—is a dramatic nonentity. And Zhang plays recognizable notes of pageantry as patriotism, conjuring a few moments of genuine awe as lavishly color-coded soldiers march in formation and the swirling camera surveys the enormity of the titular structure, but he has no clue how to respond to the film's creature-feature heart. The lime-green, dinosaur- or dog-esque antagonists are a total dud: foolish in appearance; repetitive and simplistic in their behavior despite the human characters repeatedly proclaiming how intelligent and cunning they are; never remotely frightening; and hilariously explained via groan-worthy, elliptical exposition (a comet turned a mountain green, and they are a manifestation of man's greed, and...move on now). How unspectacular they are counteracts other truly spectacular elements of the film's art direction and costume design.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 am
Keeping it Light

And what did you think of the film's score?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:12 am
now we know

David wrote:
and hilariously explained via groan-worthy, elliptical exposition (a comet turned a mountain green, and they are a manifestation of man's greed, and...move on now).

That's how legends are. They are stories, created around camp fires, to engage and excite children. I think you're being overly harsh with this criticism. Things in The Bible are also thinly explained.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Algren wrote:
David wrote:
and hilariously explained via groan-worthy, elliptical exposition (a comet turned a mountain green, and they are a manifestation of man's greed, and...move on now).

That's how legends are. They are stories, created around camp fires, to engage and excite children. I think you're being overly harsh with this criticism. Things in The Bible are also thinly explained.

Bible is a really bad fantasy book.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Algren wrote:
David wrote:

Bible is a really bad fantasy book.

And yet millions not only love it but live their lives by it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

#people

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 am
Profile WWW
now we know

David wrote:
The lime-green, dinosaur- or dog-esque antagonists are a total dud: foolish in appearance; repetitive and simplistic in their behavior despite the human characters repeatedly proclaiming how intelligent and cunning they are

They tricked the humans at every turn, especially with their final move of occupying the humans with fighting so they could secretly dig a tunnel under the wall and get a direct line/head start to the capital. They also out-played the humans when killing Zhang Hanyu's character.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Here is another track that I found: http://www.cutprintfilm.com/features/so ... all-track/

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
David wrote:
The lime-green, dinosaur- or dog-esque antagonists are a total dud: foolish in appearance; repetitive and simplistic in their behavior despite the human characters repeatedly proclaiming how intelligent and cunning they are

They tricked the humans at every turn, especially with their final move of occupying the humans with fighting so they could secretly dig a tunnel under the wall and get a direct line/head start to the capital. They also out-played the humans when killing Zhang Hanyu's character.

Yes, I know. The tunnel. But it just plays as a plot device. The writers saying, "Damn, we can't just do another variation on the siege. How do we get the monsters to another place?" It does not ring true on a deeper level. I did not believe those animals dug such a big, tidily sculpted tunnel. The creatures are just so dull in general (and poorly digitally rendered for such a lavish production). They never register as cunning foes or particularly creepy or in any way interesting.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:17 am
now we know

David wrote:
Algren wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, I know. The tunnel. But it just plays as a plot device. The writers saying, "Damn, we can't just do another variation on the siege. How do we get the monsters to another place?" It does not ring true on a deeper level. I did not believe those animals dug such a big, tidily sculpted tunnel. The creatures are just so dull in general (and poorly digitally rendered for such a lavish production). They never register as cunning foes or particularly creepy or in any way interesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I think the story of their existence alone makes them interesting. Their design, their combat intelligence, the way to kill them, their relationship with magnetised objects etc. is all very interesting and unique. They are not creepy, sure, but they certainly register as an impending and unstoppable force that the humans are hopeless in knowing how to defeat, and I liked that about them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not particularly good but I kinda enjoyed it.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:55 am
now we know

Have some balls, sheep! ;) You kinda enjoyed it, so it is kinda good.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:19 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Just me, stuffp, Jack Sparrow, Riggs, Dr. Lecter, publicenemy#1, and David have seen the film. Seven people!

Damn this site's members for ever calling themselves films fans. :mad:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I'm very surprised by its +18m weekend opening actually.
Got a lot more interest around certain demographics than I expected.

It makes it the highest grossing opening weekend for a foreign film, which is fair to be looked at as I think.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 am
now we know

Whether it's "foreign" could be argued, but I think only foreign language films are considered foreign. I know its production was mainly Chinese, but this is considered a joint venture. It is no more "foreign" than The Last Samurai, and that out-opened this.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, agree that it shouldn't be considered on a different scale than The Last Samurai box office wise. Quality wise, The Last Samurai towers over it though.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 am
Extraordinary

GREAT WALL

Missed opportunity for a cool fantasy epic action film. First that horrible accent on Damon was just crazy. Nonsense. Terrible. His partner was annoying as hell and terrible. Just horrible. All the asian principals were good. I liked the female, the general and the other generals, the young soldier and even the emperor. The first major sequence at the wall with the creatures was a nice action sequence but they really messed themselves up with the limit to 3 different creatures. Why do that? They should have got bigger and better and more unique. More creatures were needed. The final defeat of the creatures was just lazy. Nasty lazy nonsense. Overall, I liked the action, the costumes, the look of the film but could have done without the horrible accent, the partner and flimsy story in what could have been a truly entertaining fantasy film.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Quality wise, The Last Samurai towers over it though.

Oh, definitely.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

nghtvsn wrote:
they really messed themselves up with the limit to 3 different creatures. Why do that? They should have got bigger and better and more unique.

I don't get this part of your review. There is just one creature, and a Queen. Not three different creatures.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I think he's referring to "the scout", "the regular one" and the Queen I guess.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Keeping it Light

nghtvsn wrote:
a truly entertaining fantasy film.

May I recommend these for that:
http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73912
http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82029

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:

What do you mean, the scout and the regular one? I didn't notice any differences in all the creatures that were not the Queen.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

stuffp wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
a truly entertaining fantasy film.

May I recommend these for that:
http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73912
http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82029

:funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
stuffp wrote:

What do you mean, the scout and the regular one? I didn't notice any differences in all the creatures that were not the Queen.

Yeah, I don't think they were ever explicitly explained. Just from the beginning when they said something like "Oh, you just killed a scout, there's badder boys out there", but later on I don't remember (anymore) seeing any difference among them. It's been 2 months since I've seen it, so I don't remember the different creatures and abilities so well anymore.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Algren wrote:
stuffp wrote:

Yeah, I don't think they were ever explicitly explained. Just from the beginning when they said something like "Oh, you just killed a scout, there's badder boys out there", but later on I don't remember (anymore) seeing any difference among them. It's been 2 months since I've seen it, so I don't remember the different creatures and abilities so well anymore.

But being a scout doesn't qualify it as being a "different creature". I mean, humans have different careers and roles in society, but they're still all human. I just don't get what nghtvsn means, and maybe I missed something in the film so I would like him to clarify.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next