Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lion 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Lion 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Lion

Quote:
Lion is a 2016 Australian drama film directed by Garth Davis (in his feature debut) and written by Luke Davies, based on the non-fiction book A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley with Larry Buttrose.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:43 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Lion
This is one of those movies that is very well-intentioned which makes it all the harder to say that it's not very good. There are plenty of great elements. The actors are all fantastic, particularly young find Sunny Pawar and Dev Patel, and do the most possible with what they are given. It has a good message and an interesting story overall. Strong cinematography and technical merits. But overall this just didn't work for me. It feels super undercooked and designed to hit all those typical 'Oscar beats' including a stock love interest character (Rooney Mara, who is actually quite good despite how useless her character is) to a problematic sibling (completely pointless to the rest of the film), hints of larger social issues that are never expanded upon (most of the stuff with the younger children being sold in India), very obvious "Oscar moments" (Nicole Kidman's whole speech about adoption) and a generic pop song at the end (the Sia song used here is ridiculously out of place). At the same time, it is clear that Garth Davis and Luke Davies want to take their time telling this story (or at least did before Harvey got ahold of it) and because of that there's no sense of urgency to it at all. The middle section of this movie really drags and by the time the end happened I felt like they wanted the audience to be sobbing but it just left me cold. I didn't hate it but the best way to describe it is disappointing, and I highly doubt this will prove to be the major Oscar player that Harvey seems to think he has on his hands. C+

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:36 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Lion (2016)
Pretty excellent. Impressive directorial debut by Garth Davis with a lot of young Saroo act being visually driven and then editing continuing to play an important role in the Dev Patel part. Patel is great in the leading role showing his desperation and need while Mara does a great job being in love without ever having to say the words. But Kidman shines the most in both quiet moments reacting to her kids and her Oscar clip scene which feels right in the context of the film. Probably one of my favorite performances by her. With how easy it is to make a tearjerker plotline feel manipulative, this managed to ground itself enough to avoid that thirst trap and earns the tears it will surely shed in the emotional climax

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:07 am
Sbil

This isn't a perfect movie by any means, but it's an effective true story with an ending that packs an emotional wallop. Like, there were parts of this where I was like "Oh, come on," and the ending STILL got me. This is the kind of movie where it's easier to forgive its flaws because of how heart on its sleeve it is. Dev Patel is solid in his role, although Saroo simply comes across as less interesting as an adult than as a child played by the insanely cute Sunny Pawar. Rooney Mara is honestly kind of wasted and given very little to do (still managing to transcend the limitations of her role at times), but Nicole Kidman is absolutely wonderful. It's a powerfully subdued supporting turn from her and I really liked her here. AMPAS will likely eat this up. B+

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

Lion had an interesting story, but not two hours worth of interesting. I think this would have made a stronger 90 minute movie. The actor who played the young Saroo was adorable and the first half telling his story in India was fascinating and gripping. However, the character's motivations as an adult (beyond his obvious quest) became opaque and far less interesting. *B*

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:11 am
Wallflower

It did feel like the film must have been sponsored by Google Earth at some point. It's a very nice film and story that I do feel becomes very padded to get to 2 hours. Still I really liked it. Nicole Kidman was great. Easily the best performance outside of the child playing a young Saroo.

7/10 ( B )

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:07 pm
loyalfromlondon

the story of magnus

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

It's a drama, not science fuction.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 am
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
does it end with me banging frida pinto?!

rooney mara

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:29 pm
Pure Phase

A terrific movie. I understand how it might inspire cynicism—a commercial entertainment defined by big gestures designed to create big emotions (and concerned with Third World poverty)—but I found the story arresting. The first half is mesmerizing: an adrenaline-pumping, nearly Dickensian whirlwind of awe, despondency, discovery, fear, and uncertainty. It slows down and turns inward in the second half, but the intensity and integrity of Nicole Kidman and Dev Patel's performances easily maintains one's interest and investment. Both richly deserve their Oscar nominations.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 am
The Wall

*** / ***** (C)

The first part of the movie when we watch young Saroo is excellent. But once we get to Dev Patel's part the movie kind of collapses. The main problem is how unconvincing the edit of how he gets obsessed with his past is. It's very naively put and I don't think it gets a good exposition. I would prefer if the movie started with older Saroo and how he becomes haunted by where he came from and we see glimpses of his younger self as he starts to remember things.

Nicole Kidman is wonderful in her part and while I still haven't seen Fences, she would've been more than a worthy winner of BSA.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Like everyone else said the first half is just brilliant an A+ from me but the second half is just not believable after such a powerful lead act. Dev Patel and specially Kidman keeps things alive in the second half but its just not enough. I am not sure why Rooney Mara was there, she was wasted in here.

6/10

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm
now we know

Wonderful film. Such a fantastic story. One that pulls at the heart strings, and it's true as well. One night in Western India, a mother essentially loses both of her sons, but for one it is the best and worst thing that happened to him. From immense poverty to a comfortable upbringing, but not knowing of his family back in India is ripping him apart as an affluent young man in Australia (the film drags more here than in the first half but it is still interesting). Dev Patel gives a solid performance but not without its faults. It is the first film I've seen him in. Rooney Mara is great. Nicole Kidman is the highlight of the ac-tors, but the true star is little Saroo (Sheru, which means Lion - great way to end the film!), Sunny Pawar, that steals the show. Such a cute child, and a great performance. Poor little chap. The film is just lovely, and the real people whose lives are featured must be so proud of what Garth Davis has made.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

What an excellent film. I fucking cried too. Loved it from start to finish, what a beautifully told, true story. The acting is great, lovely cinematography, great score. It all works with a flawless film as result. I can't resonate with any of the criticism mentioned. A winner for me and currently tops my list of 2016 films.

A

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:04 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
What an excellent film. I fucking cried too.

:thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

How did you find the non-subbed first half?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It was very good and even I surely wished I had subs, it such an emotional journey that all of the visuals pretty much speak for themselves. But it's really from the moment any English dialogue is introduced that the film becomes excellent for me. The practicing English at the dining table is endearing and when the Australian parents are introduced it's just when the film really picks up for me. The first half is a sad and heart-felt story but it's the second part what lifts the film up and makes the first part having even more impact by how it's connected.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 pm
now we know

Yes, I also got that, which is in conflict to many reviews here that preferred the first half and said the second is weaker.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Do Algren and stuff agree on EVERY movie?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:35 pm
Keeping it Light

Right! It was my wife, who thought the film was fantastic too, and mentioned other Chinese reviews online pointing out that it was really good but with it's main criticism a weaker second half.

But I didn't experience it that way, and maybe it was because the lack of not understanding all dialogue made me feel that way, although I think it's unlikely.

Even in a vacuum I felt the Indian part was something that could have been the story of any film of a child getting lost in a way, but it's the Australia part that made it stand out.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 pm
Keeping it Light

zwackerm wrote:

LOL
Sure we share a similar taste in a way, but compare our 2017 film list and you'd find a larger discrepancy in grading than between any two other random members on this site (I think).
The main difference is just that Algren and I both watch a decent amount of (the same) films and comment on all them. So it just seems the sharing of the same opinion comes by a lot, but in fact it's quite subdued.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:

Ha. Far from it. But we are friends in real life, so obviously there is common ground between us. You'll know what it's like to have a friend when you come out of the closet. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Interesting you both watched the first half without English subtitles. I imagine it would still be very easy to understand. Is the slight creepiness of the one woman in the apartment and her male friend still apparent? (Based on their dialogue, there is a vague-but-potent-and-uncomfortable sense they are going to sell him into servitude or worse.)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 am
Keeping it Light

The guy in that apartment undoubtedly is creepy and suspicious...but with him running away there I thought at the moment it was more from a sense of missing home than danger. However my wife actually explained that part at the time (the only part actually, as i indicated at the start i didn't need any translation unless asked), so that made it clear for me that the guy had sinister intentions even beyond the suspicion it already created.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:13 am
now we know

I asked my wife for clarification. My original impression was confirmed. It is not the type of country (much like China) that has good Samaritans willing to help the needy unless something is in it for them, so I was alarmed as soon as she spoke to him on the railroad track. That guy was obviously looking for a sexual encounter or something similar. He kept touching him. And there were on a bed for fuck's sake.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next