Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Avengers: Age of Ultron 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 12 ]
B 47%  47%  [ 17 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 36

Avengers: Age of Ultron 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron
After a few weeks Black Widow and Hulk is definitely the most memorable part of this movie. The rest is Marvel jerking itself off as usual

Tue May 12, 2015 1:52 am
The Kramer

Yeah Widow/Hulk was weird. Especially since Evans/Scarlet have such good chemistry, and Cap doesn't already have a hot girlfriend he's worried about killing. It actually felt less connected to the overall U than any that has come before it.

The most memorable moments were all comedic, and mostly took place during the down portions of the movie. For the first half this meant a great pace, as we would look forward to the revels as much as the fighting. Those moments, along at least solid, if not amazing, action sequences are why Avengers: Age Of Ultron works despite all of its story problems.

Tue May 12, 2015 12:41 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
After a few weeks Black Widow and Hulk is definitely the most memorable part of this movie. The rest is Marvel jerking itself off as usual

What? Their scenes were horrible. The Hulk/BW scenes & Hawkeye/SW scenes. Just awful. Batman and Robin - Razzie worthy bad.

10 years from now, when we rewatch this, it is going to be THAT FUCKING BAD.

Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm
Ocarina of Time

Shack wrote:

:sick:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm
100% That Bitch

This movie dreams of being half as good as the Shield season finale.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 am
now we know

Excel wrote:
when we rewatch this

Wow, you're optimistic.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Mau wrote:
This movie dreams of being half as good as the Shield season finale.

lol, NO

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 am
Superfreak

Algren wrote:
Excel wrote:
when we rewatch this

Wow, you're optimistic.

:funny: true.

Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 pm
Extraordinary

AVENGERS 2 AGE OF ULTRON

In the second outing of the superhero team The Avengers, we jump right into the action as the Avengers have been taking out Hydra bases since the fall of SHIELD. In this sequel we get a more lively villain in Ultron. The artificial "child" of Stark he comes with Stark's humor and his indifference. His only goal is to rid the world of humans while upgrading himself to a biological hybrid. He really was a pleasure as the villain and reminded me of General Grievous to some extent. We are also introduced to a couple new enhanced humans in Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Played by Elizabeth Olson and Aaron Johnson they really brought their roles to life complete with acceptable eastern european accents. In terms of the Avengers, Thor gets more comedic lines while Stark is still Stark, Hawkeye gets a more expanded background and Captain America continues to grow as a leader and in relevance when it comes to fighting. He takes on Ultron himself and is able to hold his own. Black Widow and Dr. Banner get a side plot involving romantic tension but that feels out of place to me. The major action sequences involving The Hulk v Ironman, Cap v Ultron and the Avengers team v Ultron and his minions were all exciting and cool. There were a lot more visuals involved this time it seems with all the computer generated minions and the raising of a whole city but the only time it seemed a bit too CG was during the opening action sequence when each Avenger was getting camera time especially Thor's sequence. In addition to the Hulk Widow affair, another thing that was a bit bothersome was Quicksilver apparently dying. Now, he may come back somehow based on Scarlet's powers from the comics or something but if he's really dead then I think it was a bit of a waste to have even put him in the film. It would have had a greater impact had Hawkeye died. One final annoyance is the apparent invulnerability of the Hulk. Now, in the Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton that Hulk could actually have cuts, scrapes, and bleed to some extent. This Hulk seems to have nothing happen injury wise except for losing a tooth. I think that's one part of this that is just too over the top. As far as one last positive, I did like the creation of the Vision and Bettany's performance. He didn't really get to show whatever other power or abilities he has in this film but whatever it is I think whoever the next villain is (besides Thanos) they will have to be that much more powerful than the Vision for it to have consequence. Overall, I was very entertained by the film. It wasn't as new as the first time out and I think that hurts it because of the been there done that feeling but just to have this group of Avengers fighting side by side again is exciting to watch. I'm looking forward to the next film involving the new Avengers team. Terrence Howard must be kicking himself senseless...

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue May 19, 2015 10:20 am
Keeping it Light

Age of Ultron, a disappointment. I thought Marvel did a great job building up to this movie, releasing the teaser, then the trailer, I was expecting something very cool. There is coolness in the movie, but for me it's overshadowed by boring action sequences. The casual avengers hanging out moments are fun, I enjoy those especially in the beginning of the movie. But the black widow - hulk thing just feel out of place and Hawkeye's family life I wasn't waiting for that either. Chris Evans is great in this, he's really grown into his Captain America role. Iron Man, and Thor are good as usual as well, I also enjoyed the introduction Scarlett Witch (Olsen in a very hot role), and Quicksilver.

I thought I was going to hate Quicksilver because I enjoyed the character in DOFP so much and this would be different, but actually ATJ did a good job as any with the character. His dying I also found unnecessary. Ultron is very slickly voice acted by Spader, but Ultron actions are rather weak. He's supposed to be this super AI enemy, but there's just very little where he's showing any real strength in that. From the trailer I was expecting a rather dark and dramatic movie, but in the end it was all to jolly, to put at the edge of my seat. The movie has it's good fun bits, but for 140min, I grew bored of things because it wasn't refreshing. I liked The Avengers movie to a great extent, and was looking forward to Ultron a lot. It just didn't live up to it. The characters are there, but there's not enough attention to actually telling a story. Vision doesn't seem to get the introduction he should deserve based on his seemingly powers. He might as well not be in there for me, and the movie could have been more wholesome for me. They've been wanted to do to much with this movie, and it ends up being messy overall.

B-

Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm
Forum General

I'm not much of a Marvel fanboy, though I've enjoyed many of the films, I haven't loved any of them like the majority of film goers. The sequel to The Avengers is a crushing disappointment anyway you look at it though, incredibly dull. It had a few cool set pieces and sequences but other than that, meh.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon May 25, 2015 12:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Finally saw this. It was OK, I guess. I did like how they cut down on the jokes during the fight.

B/B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 am
Hold the door!

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I did not like the first Avengers film and I was thoroughly expecting not to like this one either. Even though it starts slow and goes on for a bit too long at the end, I feel like each MCU movie makes us like the characters more and more. Ultron was awesome too, from the way he walked to the way he talked. Sure there were quips here and there, but I don't feel like they detracted from the film at all. Real life people ball bust all the time, and it totally felt natural here. I didn't think the part Where Thor goes to that cave belonged in this movie, and the section between Hawkeye's house and the climax went on too long. But I enjoyed this more than any MCU film aside from GOTG.

B+

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:37 am
Hold the door!

It's actually astonishing how this is an improvement over the first in every way. While the plot was not amazing, it at least had one, unlike the first. We really are starting to get to know the characters, and nothing in the first compares to the Hulkbuster or Vision action sequences.

I actually may like this more than Guardians. Maybe. I'll have to watch Guardians again to decide.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:15 pm
Hold the door!

I think I have to raise my grade to A-. Just really excellent in comparison to the other films. Easily the best plot line of any MCU film to date, and while that is faint praise, it really is great. The chasm in quality between this and the original is amazing.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:55 pm
Extraordinary

After rewatching this at home now I could see why there was lukewarm reception. I still like the film but man Ultron sucks.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:23 pm

It is funny, but it feels like there was so much they could have done with Ultron, and like most if not all Marvel films, it was enjoyable, but lacked interesting filmmaking. It's just bland.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:46 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

well what do you know, they DO reference the Mind Stone in this!

Guess I barely remember anything from this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:32 pm
Forum General

This isn't a bad film, but even after rewatching it like three times I still end up being underwhelmed by the whole thing. I just can't get that invested in the final battle eventhough visually it's nice to look at and there is some seriously cool shit on screen. The movie starts and stops a bit too much and the only action sequences that actually do impress me is still the Hulkbuster fight and the opening. I like the party scene too mostly because of the banter and the action is pretty fun, but it's also Ultron's strongest scene in the movie. They could have done so much more with him as a villain.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The party scene was good. But the movie is very unmemorable.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:00 pm
Grill

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. The Avengers
4. Iron Man

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron
6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Ant-Man
8. Iron Man 3

9. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 2

11. Thor
12. Thor 2: The Dark World

In my opinion there are 4 near perfect ones, 4 highly enjoyable ones, 2 decent/average ones and two Thors.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 am
now we know

MovieGeek wrote:
and two Thors.

lol, his films are by far the worst in the MCU.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Thor 1 was okay. Thor 2 was garbage.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 am
Hold the door!

I still really like this and don't understand the hate. Hulkbuster is awesome and the character work here is the best yet. Each Avenger has an arc, even if it's rushed. Ultron is a great villain and I like the Vision.

A-

Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a decent action blockbuster but after the original its neither bigger in scope, action, visuals or does anything in terms of proceeding the story further. I do like the action and the specially the team work but the whole Iron Man vs Hulk was completely useless and unearned. The twists in the story are not organically designed but mere plot twists to bring a change in narration or direction. The finale got repetitive and loses steam midway and there are no team level activities as everyone while communicating with each other work individually and when they do its not effective.

Tue May 19, 2020 3:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next