Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 It Follows 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

It Follows 
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: It Follows
Proud Ryu wrote:
I get pretty annoyed by films that make the audience do all the work.

so you'd rather be spoonfed everything? you're the reason hollywood makes shit.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:11 pm
Wallflower

publicenemy#1 wrote:
On the beach it turned into the girl with the glasses right? And mess, I didn't catch that was supposed to be her dad, was that explicit? Guess that went over my head. :lol:

Oh see, my friends and I figured it was her dad before they even showed him and then when they did we recognized him as her father. Geez, pay attention :P. LOL.

And yeah, that was the girl with the glasses on the beach. Sure looked like her.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:21 pm
Forum General

I saw the movie for a second time yesterday afternoon and I think I loved it even more this time. Knowing exactly what to expect and picking up on little details helped love it even more. There are so many layers to this movie and it is really essential to view it more than once to fully grasp everything.

I do have one question though because after seeing it twice, I'm still not sure what the meaning of a certain scene is. Near the end when Paul sees the two women who are presumably hookers, what does it mean? Is it just a metaphor for having promiscuous sex or did it mean something more?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I took it as him having sex with the hookers and giving it to them, therefore allowing them to spread it and stop it from coming after him.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:19 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Definitely implies he is going to give the curse to a whore.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:47 pm
Deshi Basara

trixster wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
I get pretty annoyed by films that make the audience do all the work.

so you'd rather be spoonfed everything? you're the reason hollywood makes shit.

I like it just fine if the audience has to do work but the answers to the big questions posed are there to be found if you look/think. In this case though the answers aren't there to be found and so it's completely speculative what the answers are. It's totally subjective of course - I get why some people like it that way. But there's a reason why that kind of thing doesn't make money - most people don't want to pay to make up their own movie.

I didn't hate the movie at all. I just find it obnoxious that when a movie that provides no answers to the questions it poses is just automatically genius and anyone who says it isn't is just a culture-less philistine.

That said, I'd much rather see a movie like this where the answer is unknown than one where the answer is known and it's really dumb, which is all too many movies.

The bottom line for me is that the movie is refreshing, just not genius as so many are touting it.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm
You must have big rats

thompsoncory wrote:
I took it as him having sex with the hookers and giving it to them, therefore allowing them to spread it and stop it from coming after him.

I think he contemplated it, but didn't go through with it.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Rather frightening and dripping with mounting dread, thanks in large part to its wonderfully effective musical score, It Follows understands what the word "horror" actually means. I don't think it's a new classic or anything like that, but this is a prime example of an effective genre film. B+

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:14 pm
The Kramer

I don't think he gave it away, but he probably told her he did. They kind of set it up earlier, with Jay looking like she was gonna have sex with those guys on the boat, but then its still following her a few scenes later.

Another thing that bugged was how easy Hugh got off. He kidnapped her and essentially gave her a death sentence, is on the run from the cops in his family home, and Jay is all of a sudden totally cool with him. She had two male suitors, willing to take on a curse just to have sex with her, and neither one even attempts to beat up the guy who ruined her life?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:10 am
The Kramer

Also I really hope they bring back all the characters for It Still Follows, rather than focusing on a new group. With a bigger budget they could really dive into this mythology.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:12 am
Pure Phase

The Hugh/Jeff character is frustrating. Why not just sleep with a prostitute? Why adopt a false name and act out this faux-sweet-romance (multiple dates) with a suburban girl? Seems time-consuming and unnecessarily complicated considering the circumstances.

And it strains credulity how he knows so much regarding the entity and how "it" operates. I know there is a throwaway line of explanation (the girl he had a one-night stand with, who gave him the curse and whose name he cannot remember, told him everything), but still.

Also, when they come to his real house later in the film, he is highly nervous and says they need to leave because they should not be so close to him lest "it" catch her and revert to pursuing him. Yet he ties her up, stands nearby, and allows the entity to come within around ten feet of them to prove a point for her benefit? Hm.

Oh, and a lot of people seem to assume Jay did not sleep with the dudes on the boat, but my mind went in another direction. She did, but the evil rapidly caught them and returned to her. I do not interpret the ambiguous cut-away as conclusive proof she could not bring herself to do it.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:16 am
Pure Phase

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Also I really hope they bring back all the characters for It Still Follows, rather than focusing on a new group. With a bigger budget they could really dive into this mythology.

The director says the sequel will focus on gay sex and include a big set piece at a pool party.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:18 am
Full Fledged Member

David wrote:
Oh, and a lot of people seem to assume Jay did not sleep with the dudes on the boat, but my mind went in another direction. She did, but the evil rapidly caught them and returned to her. I do not interpret the ambiguous cut-away as conclusive proof she could not bring herself to do it.

Agreed. Her cast is shown to have obvious signs of water damage in the scene immediately following.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:46 am
Pure Phase

I agree. Critics are not doing it any favors, expectations-wise, by saying It Will Haunt Your Dreams for Years to Come, etc., etc.

It is stylishly made and suspenseful, not scary. Except maybe for the bit where the tall-man incarnation of the entity follows the friend through the doorway.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:58 am
Extraordinary

I doubt I'm gonna see this again but I had a really massive stomach ache the whole time I was watching this. I don't know if this added to my experience but it certainly made me want the movie to end asap. And of course, the ache stopped when the movie ended. :wacko:

The friend that I saw this with (who has the weirdest critiques for movies...) was sure that the girl in the opening was linked to the guy who gave it to Jay... which I didn't really get as there was no real indication that was clear but it's certainly possible? Idk.

And yeah, I didn't find the movie scary. Some parts were definitely creepy but not anything that truly disturbed me.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:47 am
Pure Phase

You could interpret the girl in the opening as a person given the curse by Hugh/Jeff, maybe. And he has to find another "victim" after it returns to him.

But she cannot be the one who gave him the curse. It would not be after her while he was still alive.

Oh, this reminds me: if I remember correctly, Hugh/Jeff says there is only one entity, right? It changes form, but is a singular being traveling around. Yet he also, I believe, says he has continued to see it even though he transmitted the curse to Jay. Why would it still be in his vicinity? Doesn't its nature dictate she would now be its sole concern and pursuit?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:49 am
The Kramer

The girl at the beginning was definitely Hugh's first victim, thus his surprise at It returning in the movie theater. Maybe, in his characters defense, he was already romancing Jay and then decided, even though he liked her, his life was more important than hers.

As for the setting, I thought for sure it was the 60s/70s, based on the TV and nobody having cell phones, but that one girl had a frickin E-reader and that kept throwing me off. Did those exist in the past?

And I thought it was pretty scary. I kept squirming in my seat every time a scene was being set up. There aren't alot of GOTCHA jump scares, but it's still unsettling the entire time. Which is my idea of a good horror movie.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 am
The Kramer

David wrote:
Oh, this reminds me: if I remember correctly, Hugh/Jeff says there is only one entity, right? It changes form, but is a singular being traveling around. Yet he also, I believe, says he has continued to see it even though he transmitted the curse to Jay. Why would it still be in his vicinity? Doesn't its nature dictate she would now be its sole concern and pursuit?
I believe he meant that he, and everyone else the curse has passed through, can still see it in general even if It is not actually following him at the moment.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:52 am
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
Or does it not even matter because the whole film is supposed to be "surreal" and thus not confined to a specific time but a mixture of different times?

yes

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:58 am
loyalfromlondon

you guys are approaching this like it's a puzzle or a mystery to be solved; it's not.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 am
You must have big rats

It Follows is scary and I do not get scared easily.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I have never seen a purse-sized clam-shell e-reader in my life.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:25 am
Sbil

This was definitely set in modern day, IMO.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 pm
Pure Phase

It is because of the e-reader and a cell phone in the prologue. But they definitely tried to give it a timeless feel with the cathode-ray-tube television sets and muscle cars.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:54 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
trixster wrote:
you guys are approaching this like it's a puzzle or a mystery to be solved; it's not.

its more interesting to think about the little details that dont add up cause the film doesn't really leave a lasting impact from an emotional level despite all its efforts.

cause the experience of the film on its own isn't worth looking back on for me. enjoyable but nothing spectacular.
I disagree with this. I think its because of the impact that we want to keep talking about it and figure out if there was anything we missed.

OMG so good.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next