Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Captain America: The Winter Soldier 

Rate this film.
A 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 
Forum General

Post Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I agree with Excel.

I liked Thor 2 a lot and I think maybe because it was a lot different to every other SAVE THE PLANET EARTH MR SUPERHERO film...well, really only that Earth wasn't so prominent like all the other flicks.

When you have the Avengers already set up, it makes little to no sense not to contact them as the PLANET IN DANGER approaches. The stakes are close to zero. That logic needs to be addressed since Marvel has films planned up to 2028.

There's a lot more you can do with superheroes than the same old shtick.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
It's really good. Very good blend of action, plot, and characters.

Evans/Scarlett have great chemistry and work well even when they're not on-screen together. I think their acting is the core to the film because it makes you care and have a rooting interest in it all (which is the exact opposite that Hemsworth does in Thor).

The action itself is probably the best of any MCU film IMO. There's an excitement and realism to it. It's not just CGI overload (though there's still a good amount) and it's not just cut after cut.

My only real complaint is that it doesn't go far enough in its corruption/freedom theme. I think it just scratches the surface without really tackling the issues. It had the ambition to dip its feet in but not the ambition to dive completely. In fact, I think the big dramatic reveal of Hydra isn't given its full weight. Perhaps they'll dive into it later on (which wouldn't be surprising considering its Marvel and they fail to commit to anything).

Also, they sort of ignored the whole Winter Soldier/Bucky stuff till the end, and it seems like it was really just a setup for the third film. But then again, it wouldn't be a Marvel film if it wasn't just setting up for something else down the line that they won't completely payoff on until the 15th film.

But despite these complaints, I really enjoyed it. Exactly what you want from a non-Nolan blockbuster.

I think Hemsworth has a lot more charisma than Evans.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
My main thing is that the Hydra reveal shoudl have been this huge dramatic moment and it just wasn't. After the reveal happen, there's little time to process what it means. Capt and Widow just go into action.

Being real for a moment, speaking of "dramatic moments".

My theater was packed. The silent slow motion shot reveal of who the Winter Soldier is. I said, aloud, during my screening :

"...Are we supposed to know who that is?"

and most folks in the audience laughed.

I liked the film, but lets not go overboard. Avengers was game changer. Iron Man. Batman Begins. The Dark Knight was a cinematic revolution.

This is just a good movie.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 pm
Extraordinary

Thor 2 is a piece of crap.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm
Begging Naked

Magnus wrote:
also, if CA1 was a throwback to period-action and CA2 was a throwback to 70s political thrillers, what genre will CA3 mix itself in?

and one flaw I think with having this MCU: if all these characters exist, why the hell aren't they calling each other when the stakes get really high? The end of CA has tens of millions of lives at stake and Capt America doesn't even bother to contact Tony Stark? I feel like that's high enough stakes to contact him.

This is what I kept thinking about in this film and especially the last Thor movie. I mean, in that movie the villain was threatening to LITERALLY DESTROY THE UNIVERSE but hey, I guess Thor alone can handle that. How much higher can they raise the stakes in Avengers 2?

This was solid though.

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man 3
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Thor
8. Iron Man 2
n/s: THe Incredible Hulk

I'd put only Avengers above "solid," and only Iron Man 2 and maybe Thor below "somewhat solid".

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

At least Thor is a god. Captain America's power is that he is kind of strong.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Excel doesn't know who Captain America is.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm
loyalfromlondon

does this mean agents of shield is cancelled

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:49 pm
Begging Naked

trixster wrote:
does this mean agents of shield is cancelled

I haven't watched a minute of that show, and this is what I kept thinking throughout the final scenes. :funny:

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jon wrote:
Magnus wrote:
also, if CA1 was a throwback to period-action and CA2 was a throwback to 70s political thrillers, what genre will CA3 mix itself in?

and one flaw I think with having this MCU: if all these characters exist, why the hell aren't they calling each other when the stakes get really high? The end of CA has tens of millions of lives at stake and Capt America doesn't even bother to contact Tony Stark? I feel like that's high enough stakes to contact him.

This is what I kept thinking about in this film and especially the last Thor movie. I mean, in that movie the villain was threatening to LITERALLY DESTROY THE UNIVERSE but hey, I guess Thor alone can handle that. How much higher can they raise the stakes in Avengers 2?

I though that during Iron Man 3 actually.

But this is just what one has to accept, otherwise there would only be The Avengers films each year. There is no reason why they shouldn't be calling each other for help all the time, yet it simply won't happen in the films. I cann accept that.

However, where is Hawkeye?! He is actually a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. And would it have been so hard to at least have some of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cast members appear for a moment, just to make it feel like a more complete universe?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Jon wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I though that during Iron Man 3 actually.

Honestly, I've mostly forgotten the threat of that movie. I just remember Kingsley as the fake threat, Pearce as the real threat, and getting pretty bored during that final action sequence.

But yeah, the lack of any Hawkeye in these Phase 2 movies is weird. Maybe they worried that him showing up here would make it too much like Avengers 1.5 instead of Captain America 2? I'm happy Maria Hill showed up though - I don't know anything about her character as a person, but I love her presence.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Jon wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I thought that during Iron Man 3 actually.

Honestly, I've mostly forgotten the threat of that movie. I just remember Kingsley as the fake threat, Pearce as the real threat, and getting pretty bored during that final action sequence.

But yeah, the lack of any Hawkeye in these Phase 2 movies is weird. Maybe they worried that him showing up here would make it too much like Avengers 1.5 instead of Captain America 2? I'm happy Maria Hill showed up though - I don't know anything about her character as a person, but I love her presence.

I think Hawkeye not showing up may have more to do with the fact that Jeremy Renner isn't all that happy about his involvement with MCU at this point and less with them actually not eanting to have him. I could imagine them keeping hisappearances to the necessary minimum. Because otherwiese it is kind of ridiculpus that he is still by far the least-established character in MCU. Even Maria Hill is more established.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Fairly sure hawk eye is going to die in Avengers 2

Me too. I imagine Marvel had once bigger plans for the character (hence the hinted backstory of him and Black Widow in The Avengers), but not anymore.

BTW, after The Winter Soldier I definitely want a standalone Black Widow film.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

BK wrote:
I think Hemsworth has a lot more charisma than Evans.

Agree on this, but Evans was so good on Cap 2, that makes me appreciate him a bit more than before

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 pm
Superfreak

I would love a Black Widow movie. She could easily remain mysterious if given the James Bond treatment.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:17 pm
Pure Phase

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a competent, but unspectacular superhero action film, perfectly designed as a comfortable and safe franchise placeholder. There are agents of evil undermining S.H.I.E.L.D. from within. It falls to Captain America to save the day, even though the public and many of his colleagues briefly lose faith in his absolute sense of right and wrong (the fools!). Citywide destruction ensues, and there is a halfhearted bid to be topical by incorporating a heightened domestic spying program into the storyline. We know the drill. A mysterious (read: quietly dull) antagonist known as the Winter Soldier shows up a few times with his long hair and robotic arm, though it is never clear why the film itself is named after him because his presence is far from powerful. Overall, it is becoming harder and harder to anticipate new releases in the quote-unquote Marvel Cinematic Universe for a number of reasons, including a super-generic aesthetic (memorable shot compositions are as scarce here as they were in the most recent Thor film) and a general absence of, if you will, soul. The prior Captain America film, The First Avenger, is a notable exception; it is a period adventure with a playful spirit indebted to the Indiana Jones franchise. The follow-up is an inferior product and one far more routine. The best I can say for the film is it held my attention without inspiring my imagination or moving me.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 pm
I heet the canadian!

So

was the agent in Avengers playing Galaga hydra or shield?

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:27 am
Pure Phase

"His tax history and YouTube viewing habits indicate he is not a Nazi. Blow him up in the name of order! Hail, HYDRA!"

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

I hate the fake laugh the theater erupts in when Stan Lee appears. This occurs before he makes a lame quip.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This was just alright. The direction is great and the acting is fine but I found the story to be awfully mediocre. I did enjoy the mid-credit scene.

Just give me Guardians of the Galaxy already.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
I hate the fake laugh the theater erupts in when Stan Lee appears. This occurs before he makes a lame quip.

I think you are missing a soul

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:59 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

nghtvsn wrote:
Caius wrote:

I think you are missing a soul

It is a Pavolovian response on their part and he did not create Captain America.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Caius wrote:

+1

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I liked it. The Russos can, to my surprise, stage a killer action set piece. I was also pleased that, although there was too much place setting for other Marvel stuff/crap, it found time to be a proper sequel to Captain America.

However, they needed to spend more time establishing The Winter Solider if they expected anybody to get jacked about CA3 at this stage. And they could have easily cut at least 10 minutes of Robert Redford monologuing in large office rooms to do it.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:29 am
Pure Phase

The Winter Soldier reminded me of the Ryan Reynolds incarnation of Deadpool. Not a compliment.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next