Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 World War Z 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

World War Z 
The Incredible Hulk

Post Re: World War Z

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:29 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I saw a guy watching this on his iPhone on the tube. Piracy infuriates me.

This film will definitely be coming out in China so there is absolutely no need to pirate it. Fucking Chinese!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:40 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

In light of the infamy surrounding its making, World War Z is a pleasant surprise. It's an adaptation of Max Brooks's book in name only, but such an approach is probably for the best given that the book reads much more like a Contagion-like miniseries than a summer blockbuster. As a straightforward action film that eschews virtually all political aspects of the book, it works because the pacing is so relentless through the first two acts of the film. The set pieces are impressive and visually striking, both of which are surprising given the more marginal quality of the set pieces in Marc Forster's previous big-budget action film, Quantum of Solace. The sequence set in Israel is a particular standout, as the swarms of zombies are impressively rendered and fit well within the landscape. The only problem that stands out with the action is the fact that this is a zombie movie with no bloodshed; there's something disingenuous about seeing inherently R-rated material sanitized for a PG-13, especially given that this movie has a darker tone than this year's other PG-13 zombie film, Warm Bodies. Some viewers might find the third act to be out of place when stacked against the much larger scale of the rest of the movie (I was surprised to find that it was, indeed, meant to be the end of the movie rather than a step toward a bigger finale), but I actually thought that that portion of the film was the strongest, as it generated a great deal of tension and made very good use of the small quarters at hand. Is this the adaptation the book deserved? No, but then again, the format of the book seems better suited for television than it does for the big screen. But as a piece of summer spectacle, World War Z does enough well to earn a passing mark.

B

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:45 am
Wallflower

Started good but quickly turned fairly uninteresting. At this time it was one of my least favorite movies of the year. Just didn't care too much about the characters or the happenings. But then it got really good for the last maybe 40 minutes. Overall it's a mixed bag but fairly decent.

They must have added a lot of the gore back in for the unrated version because it definitely wasn't dry like I had heard.

6/10 (B-)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:34 am
100% That Bitch

Do they show when Brad cuts the soldier's hand?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:08 pm
Forum General

I quite enjoyed this. I just want to know what disease he gave himself. I don't think they ever said.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It's OK. The visual spectacle is solid even if I didn't care about any of the characters. B-/C+ and the original ending sounds better.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:02 pm
Wallflower

Mau wrote:
Do they show when Brad cuts the soldier's hand?

Yes

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:21 pm
Forum General

Meh I'm with Mike on this one. It starts off solid enough, but the rest is pretty boring and I didnt care for any of the characters.

I also saw the unrated version and it still did nothing for me.

If anything the effects looked even worse IMO.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 pm
Ocarina of Time

Just bought this on blu, can't wait to see the unrated version this weekend :D

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 pm
We had our time together

Watched it a second time a few days ago and it surprisingly didn't held up that well.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 am
Profile WWW
---------

I wanted to see the toothless nation of North Korea.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

It's good in parts but otherwise a bit of a snooze. And snooze I did.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 am
Pure Phase

This is cute:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:09 pm
You must have big rats

I like that Matthew Fox gets a pretty high billing here...

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

So, James Badge Dale had Iron Man 3, Lone Ranger and World War Z this year. DiCaprio is such a loser compared to this guy.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

That was pretty fantastic. Not many movies get the whole Zombie thing right, but I feel this did. I mean, the entire Research Facility in Wales scenes were so remiscent of Resident Evil the games, that is just filled me with a sense of fear and suspense just like the games (much more than any of the totally different movies). The film is non-stop in its action and thrilling, and Brad Pitt, while not great, is a nice familiar face to have and support in the movie. By 'not great', I am referring to most scenes where he probably should have acted a little more. Like when he was faced with meeting the zombie after injecting himself. When that zombie entered the lab and thrusted himself towards Pitt, Pitt didn't flinch at all, no emotion or signs of fear, and I thought that was a little too cool and American. Pretty much everyone, in my opinion, would have been petrified. Some great shots were in this, and a lot of the action is ruined by shakey-cam, but you can still get the overall feel of action, suspense, fear and excitement. What I really liked is that the zombies were unrelenting and that Pitt and his family were not given any favours just becuase they are the "stars". Also like how none of the cast were stupid and did stupid things. People were quiet when they had to be quiet, didn't scream when they shouldn't have, and it all felt very much like a respectable zombie film. The aeroplane scene was fantastic, and the outcome of that was especially great.

I watched the unrated version and it felt like a PG-13 movie. But that didn't bother me at all. It's left open for a sequel too, and I cannot wait.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:thumbsup:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 am
Indiana Jones IV

Well, I waited a year to see this. Max Brooks' novel is one of my favorite books ever, in fact I believe I read it twice back-to-back -- a rarity. I feared that adapting such brilliant source material into a formulaic, Hollywood action movie was a bad idea.... Lo and behold. Forster's movie goes from action set to action set, failing to capture any of the socio/politico/economic/psychological commentary that made the book so delicious and thought-provoking. There's no sense of tension or stakes here, which is baffling.... the name of the movie is WORLD WAR Z!

Really disappointing. If it were a stand alone movie, maaaybe a B-. But they trashed one of my favorite books.

C

The novel's introduction alone (2 pages) trumps anything they came up with for this movie.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:58 pm
We had our time together

That post makes me want to read the novel.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is pretty good, I just rewatched it on tv, there's suspense and spectacle and for a film with zombies front and center there's hardly any better examples out there actually. But this also feels a bit shaky and unsatisfying as a whole as well, there's so much more in the story which they could have explored and delved into to possibly make this really great. They could have either made this a two-parter, or add a half an hour and it could have been a better product. As is it's got some great ingredients in Pitt, Forster, plot, action and score. In it's current package it's kind of just deduced to a cool zombie action film that has more potential. But having said that, it's still a very solid watch, fast paced and with plenty of interesting elements that it also simply succeeds from an entertainment perspective.

B+

Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:49 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
for a film with zombies front and center there's hardly any better examples out there actually.

Try Train to Busan.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3