Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Wendy and Lucy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Wendy and Lucy 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Wendy and Lucy
Wendy and Lucy

Quote:
Wendy and Lucy is a 2008 American drama film directed by Kelly Reichardt. Reichardt and Jonathan Raymond adapted the screenplay from his short story "Train Choir". The film had its world première at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival and was screened at several additional film festivals before receiving a limited theatrical release in the United States on December 10, 2008.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Wendy and Lucy
It's such a simple story, but told so effectively that it's hard not to be drawn in. This film reminded me a lot of Sherrybaby based on the fact that the central performance in this really elevates it to a whole new level. Michelle Williams is probably better than she's ever been before here, and cements herself as one of the industry's brightest talents. She successfully conveys the character's strong-willed attitude and makes her eventual breakdown feel so realistic - it's really powerful stuff. There's a particular scene in the film where Williams's character Wendy, forced to sleep in the woods due to her lack of funds, is approached by a crazed individual who torments her for a few terrifying minutes before moving along. This scene and the sequence afterwards were the ones that really stuck in my head - mainly because this is where Williams's performance really moves into brilliance. The direction by Kelly Reichardt is very naturalistic and effective, and the fact that this brisk 80-minute film packs the emotional punch of films twice its length really says something. It's amazing that a plot device such as a lost dog could really be enough to create such a great character piece, but it certainly does with Wendy and Lucy - definitely one of the year's strongest efforts. A-

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:46 am
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

Everything tells me I'm gonna love this film!!

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:41 pm
Wallflower

JURiNG wrote:
Everything tells me I'm gonna love this film!!

Ditto. I'm dying to see it. I'm a big fan of Michelle Williams, and an animal lover. Plus, reviews are really great.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:52 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

thompsoncory pretty much nailed it.

Except for me, the relationship between Wendy and Lucy wasn't as prominant. Wendy and herself, her decisions, etc. was the main interest I had in the film. And Michelle Williams is great, but I'd like to note how effective I thought the Security Guard was in the film too. He was an outstanding supporting character I thought.

9/10

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I want to seeeeeeeeeeee. but it has the most horrible expansion plans. ever.

hopefully it'll still be playing when I get to new york because it sure ain't playing anytime soon in this small town called miami.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:12 pm
Wallflower

You could always download it.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36 pm
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
You could always download it.

...and I did.

This is a very special, unpretentious film that is certainly one of the year's most relevant and definitely has the most perfectly composed visuals(director Reichardt is fantastic with composition, among other things). At 80 minutes, every shot serves a purpose and asks a question. The first real recession film of the current era, it resists blaming circumstance entire, making quite clear some of its protagonist's mistakes, and similarly hovers ambivalently between the transitory nature of life in the road movie, and the need for support beneath one's self-reliance.

We don't know much about Wendy. Each of the descriptive labels we most strongly stick to her isn't consistently met, but we still believe she is of these qualities: good, prudent and "maverick-y" (hey....she was off to Alaska). Unfortunately for her, a trait that results from (or possibly motivates, we don't know enough to tell) her independence, that she is unnecessary, is the trait most brought about in the desolation of poverty. There are plenty of very valid comparisons to be made here to Italian Neo-Realism, and the film seems to draw directly at times from The Bicycle Thief, but it brings about a more modern crisis: if even the rogue, who has no real dependents, has nothing any longer to live for, is the romanticized American free spirit, epitomized by the "road trip" lifestyle, still worth dreaming of?

Last edited by snack on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 am
ef star star kay

I had the 'I've been there' feeling in this film more than I did in any other film this year (or last year for that matter). It's easy to love a film when you're directly related with it. Lots easier with a well-craft film as Wendy and Lucy. THAT scene is heart-breaking. Michelle Williams performance has been written as my most favorite of the year. I just loved it. A

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:39 pm
Wallflower

WENDY & LUCY - 9/10 (A-)

Definitelty one of my favorite films of the year. It's absolutely heartbreaking. Michelle Williams is amazing and gives the best female performance I've seen all year. In a perfect world she'd be getting an Oscar, or at least a nomination. This is such a powerful little film. I had tears in my eyes.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:15 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

B-

Apart from Michelle Williams' performance the film itself goes nowhere and is incredibly bland. I think it relied too heavily on it's "independent" nature, and ultimately came across incredibly cliched. I guess not liking dogs doesn't help, but i think this film could of been more incredible if it didn't force me to feel sorry for her. because i felt sorry for her before the opening credits had finished.

How many setbacks did she have? honestly. and did the security guard only give her 2 bucks? wtf?

But I think this film should be seen anyway. Michelle Williams performance is worth the price of a ticket anyway.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 am
Wallflower

I counted $6. I was expecting at least a $20 ;).

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:58 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

I think it was $7. :P

It was a really great scene for me. I don't know what else he could have done. He didn't exactly strike me as the type of man who has thousands upon thousands of dollars in his bank account. But it showed how when you've reached almost rock-bottom, as Lucy has, every bit counts and that sometimes people who have the least are the first to offer a lending hand to those in need.

It is a wonderful film featuring the year's best performance. The film itself would not be entirely out of place next to a movie from the Italian neo-realist movement. It's really touching in small ways, in the details of the scenes. In how it shows how a nation has let so many of its citizens fall so hard. It's amazing how we have not seen more films like this but I have a feeling it will not be the last. And if they're half as good as this one, that will not be a bad thing.

A

Best Actress 2008

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

So glad you loved it! And I love your signature ;).

An online friend of mine made an awesome FYC ad for it, which I'd have for my signature but it's way too big.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 pm
He didn't look busy?!

it's the kind of movie that could never get made in Hollywood, a movie that portrays real life in such a way that it seems as though this stuff really happened and somebody just had a camera nearby (I last felt like this about a movie when I saw "4 Months, 3 Weeks, & 2 Days"). Michelle Williams is remarkable, giving a performance with the same subtlety-drawn power that made her ex-husband's performance in "Brokeback Mountain" so wonderful. Her facial expressions are often more than enough to convey how her character feels, and thus she doesn't speak all that much throughout the movie. So little seems to happen, but there's so much going on here, I just loved it. And the ending had me tearing up, despite not having any music/obvious dialogue/melodramatic acting telling me to do so. One of the year's best.

A

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Out of loss and frustration, headed for a new beginning, the interstation we witness persuades her to lose even more in what could be considered a holistic catharsis. 7 out of 10 points.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I can see where some of the praise is coming from... it paints a vivid picture of the American freerider image that in truth now looks more like the lost soul or dog that is Williams here... broken and with drained spirit, and focusing on a future endeavour (in this case Alaska) that will likely be more of the same. I found it interesting that the older people in the town were likely part of the that original freeriding dream, except now it's all gone and they're settled in a town with nothing to do.

But to tell the truth the movie bored me... a lot. I'd like to call myself a fan of artistically relevant art but at a certain point when the entirety of your movie is "girl goes to town, loses dog, looks for dog, talks to old people, finds dog, leaves dog, the end", you have to be really on your game and aware of your audience or patience will wear thin to the bone. Needless to say I feel Reichardt really misses the boat there.

So yea... since I consider enjoyment by far the most important part of a movie experience... I'm not a fan. Actually to be blunt I hated this... I felt like walking out halfway through.

1.5/5

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 am
Devil's Advocate

Oh and I didn't like how the entire film relies on Wendy being incredibly non-chalent about her dog being tied up when she gets pulled away... you couldn't get the cops to pick up your dog, really? She didn't even notice until she turned around in the car 50 feet away. Yeah, whatever.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:22 am

Okay, here it is, I may have a chance to see this film when I visit LA in a few days, and it will never get to my town, so this would be my best chance. Everyone: SHOULD I WATCH IT? As you answer keep in mind that I am not at all a dog lover, so could I still enjoy this?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 am
Wallflower

Yes. I know other people who aren't animals lovers who loved the film. You don't have to be one in order to love it. It may help if you are though, but it's not the only thing going on in the movie, even if it may seem like it on the surface.

Anyway, go and support it.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 am

Mike wrote:
Yes. I know other people who aren't animals lovers who loved the film. You don't have to be one in order to love it. It may help if you are though, but it's not the only thing going on in the movie, even if it may seem like it on the surface.

Anyway, go and support it.

well be honest, does it get boring? I've heard so many things, but it looks boring to me.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:42 am
He didn't look busy?!

if the trailer didn't spark interest in you, i doubt the movie itself will. it's certainly not a swift-paced film.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]