Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Gangs of New York 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Gangs of New York 
College Boy Z

Post Gangs of New York
Gangs of New York

Quote:
Gangs of New York is a 2002 American historical film set in the mid-19th century in the Five Points district of New York City. It was directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian, and Kenneth Lonergan. The film was inspired by Herbert Asbury's 1928 nonfiction book, The Gangs of New York. It was made in Cinecittà, Rome, distributed by Miramax Films and nominated for numerous awards, including the Academy Award for Best Picture.

The film begins in 1846 and quickly jumps to the early 1860s. The two principal issues of the era in New York were Irish immigration to the city and the Federal government's execution of the ongoing Civil War. The story follows gang leader Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Daniel Day-Lewis) in his roles as crime boss and political kingmaker under the helm of "Boss" Tweed (Jim Broadbent). The film culminates in a violent confrontation between Cutting and his mob with the protagonist Amsterdam Vallon (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his immigrant allies, which coincides with the New York Draft Riots of 1863.

Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:41 am
Extraordinary

Biggest dissapointment of 2002. Daniel Day Lewis is fantastic but he couldn't save this film, it's a mess. I didn't really feel anything for the characters, the end battle was mostly explosions here and there and a lot of scenes that dragged.

- C-/D+

Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:43 pm
College Boy Z

It's not quite a masterpiece, but it's excellent. The film is technically outstanding and brilliantly acted - especially Daniel Day-Lewis (who got robbed, I tell ya, but thankfully he makes a comeback in '08 with There Will Be Blood). Scorsese did not disappoint here.

A-

Last edited by zingy on Mon May 26, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:47 pm
Veteran

It's worth watching for Daniel Day Lewis's great performance, but it is a disappointment. I wanted to see more of some of the characters like Jim Broadbent and Brendon Gleeson. That would have made it a much longer movie though. Also, between this and Vanilla Sky, my opinion of Cameron Diaz has dropped quite a bit (not that it was ever that high). She really should stay away from period pieces.

I would rate it a B/B-.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

I loved it. But I think Day Lewis got way too much praise for his part. The ending could have used some work but it's not that bad. A-

Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This is a rare movie in which I could actually stand Leonardo DiCaprio. The production values are amazing. I loved the look of the movie. The whole flick is very well-made, Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is superb. The movie doesn't drag at any point, but unfortunately, there are also no real outstanding highlights throughout the movie.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
Golfaholic

I didn't get all the backlash against it. It's not a masterpiece, but it is a well-shot and brilliantly acted movie. Daniel Day-Lewis gave the best performance of anyone in the last ten years but was snubbes at Oscar night which was a shame. (B+)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:49 am
now we know

Truely remarkable film. I loved it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I thought it was alright. The first hour and a half or so was absolutely perfect, then it started going downhill. The performances were also pretty good, even though some of them had terrible accents (I'm talking to you Cameron Diaz!). I thought 2004's COLD MOUNTAIN was much better than this. I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

A

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:34 am

I didn't get all the backlash against it. It's not a masterpiece, but it is a well-shot and brilliantly acted movie. Daniel Day-Lewis gave the best performance of anyone in the last ten years but was snubbes at Oscar night which was a shame. (B+)

Marty and Miramix lobbied to hard for the Oscar.

I wouldn't give it as strong a grae as you, as I thought Leo and Cameron were woefully miscast and outacted by Day-Lweis, and I found Amsterdam a boring character anyway, but its not a horrible film just a highly medoicre one. Without the nice camerwork and Day-Lewis I would have fallen asleep.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:48 am

Post Re: Gangs of New York
It's pretty bad.

I just watched this for the first time tonight, and it's just not good. It's incredibly long, and more importantly, it has no need to be. It's miraculously overambitious and consequently fails in most of these ambitions. The climax is kind of intense, but horribly executed and is the finest example of how this entire film is essentially a giant pool of ideas that never come together at all. I don't know if they were focused on telling a story, deliver us interesting characters, point out the faults with society, give us a lesson in morals, or all of these at once, but since none get enough attention, which is shocking considering the aforementioned incredible length, all fail.

Daniel Day Lewis is remarkable and there are some beautiful production values here, but that doesn't really save it.

2/5.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 am
Extraordinary

{My original review from December 2002: }

Gangs of New York: A Bit 'o the Ol' Ultraviolence

Gangs of New York was pretty good. I especially liked the enlightening historical context of the early days of the Irish immigrants in America. Sadly, the main dramatic story was perhaps a little too ambitious and seemed to be drawn out by the end. The acting was quite good, but surely none of the principles' finest work. As to the direction - well it is Martin Scorcese - so the beginning segment was absolutely stunning with cool cinematic touches throughout. However, the whole enterprise did wane as it went on for nearly three hours...

3 out of 5.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Gangs of New York - A

Truely remarkable film. I loved it.

This.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

This is one of my favorite movies.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:02 pm
Cream of the Crop

scorsese's first movie is still one of his best.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 pm
Profile ICQ
loyalfromlondon

DDL steals the movie, of course; nothing else even comes close. Even Leo ain't that good.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:13 pm
Pure Phase

Such a grand, frustrating movie. At times the other busyness--especially the New York Draft Riots--threatens to overwhelm the core plot, but even the tangents are electrifying. Day-Lewis gets all the praise, which is fine, but I disagree with trixster. I thought DiCaprio was good, too. Also loved Jim Broadbent and Brendan Gleeson in their roles.

The editing and music during the first big battle always sends chills down my spine.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is actually one of my favorite movies, and I'd definitely rank it among Scorsese's best.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I randomly rewatched this tonight and this movie is still brilliant. May even be my favorite Scorsese film. The opening sequence and the ending are so powerful.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]