Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 69  Next
 The Dark Knight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 138 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 168

The Dark Knight 
Speed Racer

Post Re: The Dark Knight
2001 wrote:
Sad-man wrote:
It's so sad we won't see the Joker again.

Umm why?
Spoiler: show
If your taLking about Ledger as The Joker, yeah. But we'LL stiLL see his character in the next instaLLment as his character didn't die in the movie. Its just a question of who can repLace and match him.

Get any actor you like, it won't be the same. I don't think the Joker should appear with another actor playing him. It's too big of a role. We are not talking Katie Holmes here.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:49 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

MR. GREEN wrote:
Alright.. Right off the bat, I'm giving this movie a "C".. The Pro's: Heath Ledger for the simple fact that all the hype and brouhaha is more about him then the actual movie itself, and strangely enough, you really don't see enough of him in the 2.5 hours plus this movie runs at.. Alot of this movie has SPIDERMAN 3 written all over it with the inclusion of too many villains, even if the Scarecrow is only in it for like 2 minutes, and the same could apply for Harvey Dent himself who should've been set up for the next movie and isn't now based on his demise which was dumb.. Why do away with him if your not going to include him in the next movie?? But enough of that, it's about Ledger in the end and in my opinion, he does an equally good a job as Jack Nicholson did, but merely a different approach to the charcater than Nicholson did.. I look at it like this: Nicholson's JOKER was "The Clown Prince of Darkness" while Ledger was a "Pyschopathic Clown" if that makes any sense, even more twisted and demented..

The Con's of the movie: Too long of a running time that at the very least, 20 minutes could've been trimmed off of this, doing away with the Hong Kong scene and for that matter, the character of Harvey Dent which was a waste.. Almost like how VENOM was a waste in SM3.. It made no sense.. Also, it's Ok to make a movie DARK, but for crying out loud, it's also Ok to throw shreds of light in the movie to and this was so dark, that it was the equivalent of a tooth ache after awhile while staring at my watch wondering when this would end.. It should've ended with the JOKER'S demise and instead, Nolan felt that an extra 20 minutes of subplot had to be thrown in for extra measures.. All in all, this movie was made for the FANS of this particular franchise or trilogy and if that's your cup of tea, then good for you folks, but it wasn't for me.. The tagline was "Why So Serious".. This is what I'm asking Nolan: Why make the movie so serious??

Grade: "C" and if you don't like it, bite me.. Unlike the other critics, I'm not afraid to point out flaws in the movie like they are over the hypersensitivity of an actors death..

BKB, why so serious?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 am

Sad-man wrote:
2001 wrote:
Sad-man wrote:

Umm why?
If your taLking about Ledger as The Joker, yeah. But we'LL stiLL see his character in the next instaLLment as his character didn't die in the movie. Its just a question of who can repLace and match him.

Get any actor you like, it won't be the same. I don't think the Joker should appear with another actor playing him. It's too big of a role. We are not talking Katie Holmes here.

Since

he is permanently in Arkham or jail or whatever they will probably just not include his character at all. Maybe reference him, but nothing more. His storyline was finished anyway. More Joker chaos would be cool, but without Ledger....no one can replace him.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 am

Sam wrote:
Sad-man wrote:
Sam wrote:
um, how could people be writing reviews already?

It was released today here.

That explains your review. But the others'?

Peru - July 17th (saw it on midnight)

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:13 am
Another You

Sad-man wrote:
2001 wrote:
Sad-man wrote:

Umm why?

So you're taLking about Ledger as The Joker, not the character itseLf. And whiLe I do agree with your post and I personaLLy can't see The Joker pLayed by someone eLse too, it's stiLL a possibiLity.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 am
Extraordinary

Just so you guys know, the movie has leaked already, and a good copy going around.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

i swear to god i'm just stunned. this wasn't a comic book movie from anywhere. i'm shocked WB even greenlit this.

They got almost everything right. And the end was perfect .... i'm so so happy they're taking one of the best routes in the character story line.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

heath's performance was amazing but i think many people aren't realizing how absolutely amazing bale's performance was. he not only played 3 roles, he somehow managed to encompass so many batman traits all into one movie, something i thought would never be possible.

i loved how the entire movie, even with joker stealing the show was about batman.

i loved the joker schemes. every single one of them. was hpoing for more 2 face (in this or later sequel) but hey .. theres only so much you can ask for.

only 2 gripes and i'm really stretching to find these.
- editing issues during the first half here and there.
- ok .. i don't really have a second one.

my dream was that as lucious typed his name into the console and the surveillance went off, we could have seen a clip of a duplicate system coming on at the new bat cave. it would have completely covered batman's entire character, encompassing his paranoia and his resolution that hes the sole protector of gotham and that he needs to control all aspects of thec ity.

but i guess we can leave that for more character development in the next one.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

I guess people are still on their way home. I'm going to bed.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I'm to tired to write a full review, but here is my crowd report.. am seeing it again tomorrow so my grade will be definite by then.Mama's home and got a juicy crowd report,..

Epic. Epic and then some. Masterful and then some. Amazing and then even more, if you can imagine that. This isn't a comic book movie. This is a crime drama thriller, that just so happens to have a Batman, The Joker and Two Face and take place in Gotham with some really really, insane toys. The writing is flawless, the acting is Oscar worthy (not only from Ledger who made me forget he had passed, but from Oldman, Eckhart, Bale and the rest of the cast), the effects are top notch and the action is the best action I have seen in the longest time. My favorite scene: The scene with the tractor trailer flipping over the Bat Pod doing, well when you see it, make sure you bring kleenex. Ledger is unstoppable, a menace, true terror, hilarious and masterful at his Joker. This is not Nicholsons Joker, this is a man who was petrified from birth, from some cause, and embodies the word chaos and destruction, with a little disorder thrown in. He deserves a nom at the very least and I put my coin on a win as well. He left us on a high not. Bale is fantastic, my only complaint about him and for the movie is his Bat voice, your not Lucifer just, tone it down a notch or 10. I haven't given on of these in forever, but as cliched as this will seem by weekends end, A+. I left with chills and a smile like no other on my face.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 am
Superfreak

Lets see if this makes any sense...

Its easily a better film then Batman Begins....but I didnt really... ENJOY it as much. Its a 10/10 no doubt, hands down,

-Bale is absolutley superb. As is Gyllenhaal, but Eckhart NAILS Dent in a way I never thought he could. But of course, ledger totallty owns the show.

the magic track? the "you remind me of my father"...ledgers Joker is just such a goo nthat is frightening; he is capaible of anything. From the moment he barks at the fake batman in the video on the news after a series of giggles it goes from funny/scary to DISTURBING. Ledger fucking own, what is there to say?

That said...there are other things I think coulda been handled better:

To me anyways, Rachels death did not have near the impact I expected it to. Gyllenhaals acting made the character very charming and sympathetic; however I was expecting something like this:
-batman and gordon head to the two locations. We see Rachel/Dent talking.
-Gordon place blows up first, and we all assume dents deasd.
-we see bats dissarmed the bomb and now goes for the rescue, only to find HARVEY...then who was in the building thaty we just blew up? TEH SHOCKING TWIST!!!

Instead it was made painfully obvious Rachel was gonna die even before they did and though it was sad, it coulda been a bit more shocking and therefore effective.

as found the ending to be a bit anticlimatic...

Batman just appears outta nowhere and tackles two face off the thing...thats it? THATS IT for the character of TWO FACE????

but yeah, movie is sick.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Nolan's realist aesthetic and approach to the film really, really doesn't jive with the sheer silliness of the stunts and setpieces. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. No dice.

Heath Ledger's Joker is just wonderfully compelling. "I just want my phone call." Hah! But when he's not around, this is a bit of an endurance test.

Batman's decision at the end of the film is insulting and bogus. That's the solution to the problem? Uh-huh. Just seems to me like the guy has a bit of a martyr complex.

But hey, they got their third film set-up, and I guess that's what counts!

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:43 am
Indiana Jones IV

neo_wolf wrote:
Just so you guys know, the movie has leaked already, and a good copy going around.

how the fuck does that happen? :tears:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:45 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Lived up to the hype. So so epic. Let's make a pencil disappear. A+

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 am
Extraordinary

The movie was amazing A+ from me. I loved Ledger as the Joker. He turned in an incredible performance. I also agree Bale gets ignored for the great job he did, he was amazing too. One thing
I guessing Two Face is still alive right? I think he was breathing, I think they just made it look like he was dead and probably put him in Arkham as a John Doe. Not sure how Gordon covered that part up though.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Flava'd wrote:
Lived up to the hype. So so epic. Let's make a pencil disappear. A+

:hahaha:

That and the jokers "hi" to harvey in the hosptal were too much...i loved it!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

awesome awesome. You guys keep calling this a crime drama, but I really thought of it as a thriller! LOL I was on the edge of my seat like half the time! Crazy twists. And to be honest...

I'm still a little fuzzy on the details about the plan to get Rachel and Harvey to two separate locations at the same time forcing Batman to make a choice. Myabe somewhat can recap...

Heath was great. Ennis del Mar who?

I actually thought it wasn't too dark at times. There was some "cheese" thrown in there which I would have rather not been in the movie as it made it a little anticlimatic at points (aka ferry scene).

A big A for me. I think best movie I've seen since ROTK. Need to catch it on IMAX now....

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:11 am
Extraordinary

I avoided this thread all week to avoid spoiling myself and now that I've seen the midnight show I will talk about it in every way which involves spilling details. I'm sorry if I spoil anyone.

The Dark Knight

midnight - first since transformers for me

trailers:
mummy 3 - old trailer attached to this...boo, but i'll still watch it
deniro/pacino flick - again old trailer, iffy as to if i'll watch it
terminator salvation - not a fan of how it was put together but i was hyped and the crowd clapped
the watchman - just me or did they show way too much? I'll watch this and crowd clapped
body of lies - dicaprio and crowe...nuff said

I think it's safe for me to say that I was amazed and wowed by this film. It's practically non-stop action with very short cuts of dialogue interspersed throughout. Again, the action in the film and the stunt work and what appears to be demolishing a whole building was just superb! The kidnapping of Lau from hong kong was brilliantly executed and seeing the bat fly in that scene was intense. Again, there are lots more action sequences that were well thought out and executed to go over but this movie had amazing direction in that department and overall.

The story is in some ways simple but also very in depth. You have a lot of characters at play here but they all meld together and/or share fates with one another. Instead of listing everyone let me just say that I thought everyones acting performance was top notch for me. I have to admit that my mouth was wide open when Rachel wasn't the one who was saved and she ended up dying. I at least thought they'd both be saved in some way. Now, Gordon being dead I didn't buy completely but you never know in this new incantation. The Joker living was a surprise to me but probably not also since Batman never would have killed him intentionally. It's a shame that Fox has apparently resigned and now it seems that Batman is rogue in name only now.

Overall, I'm just completely satisfied that this film lived up to hype, expectation and didn't disappoint. It was perfectly executed in every way and is a film I'll definitely see again maybe three times.

Grade - Absolute A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Knight wrote:
who's the assclown that gave TDK a D? :mad:

It's baloney these days. Ds and Cs for this film? I don't get, but I don't care anymore either. I gave it my A and that's all the matters.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:20 am
Extraordinary

MR. GREEN wrote:
Folks, Monday morning was the critics screening along with the radio stations at RONNIES 20 CINE for the 10:30 AM showing and a screening was added last night as well and YES, I was fortunate enough to see it.. What's the big deal boys?? I said it was good and gave it a "C", not because of Ledgers performance which was damn good and even I have to admit that Heath Ledger deserves a special oscar for this, but this movie isn't for everyone either.. Christ, please tell me I'm not going to get blasted for giving this an average grade or that I didn't proclaim this to be a "Masterpiece"..

By the way, I still think The INCREDIBLE HULK had better action in it then TDK, even if it was only 4 action sequences..

You've lost your mind here. TIH had good action yes, but it PALES in comparison to all the stunt work and live action done in TDK without Question. Plz.

Plus, I've never seen a film I thought was "good" yet grade it C. C is average or even below average, but whatever. We all know you're biased against it for whatever reason and that's your prerogative.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:27 am
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
TDK has to get 68 As to match WALL-E.

Game on.

NEVER!!!

You'll change your mind.

The fatal flaw with WallE is the animated Humans are so 1995 level humans. C'mon Pixar! The film is still great though.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 am
I'm Batman

I think I'm just starting to realize after one hour how great this film is. It's filled with really, really great performances. There's a lot going on, but that means there's never a dull moment. It's great, but I definitley need to see it again. I really hope Two-Face wasn't killed off as I really like Aaron Eckhart. His scenes as Two-Face were some of my favorites. And I really liked the ending. The entire Batman giving himself up so Dent can be the hero the city needs is interesting. I can't wait to see what they do with the next film.

- A

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

The little trick that Batman does on the new batpod (or whatever the motorbike is called) during the scene when the truck flips over was awesome. Just wanted to throw that out there. :thumbsup:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 am
Veteran

Wow, just... wow. This was perfect in every way and easily earns the title of best superhero film ever. It was long, and I did glance down at my watch a couple times, but that was only because I didn't want it to end. The action was superb (loved, loved, loved the chase scene and stuff in the street like everyone else) and there wasn't a poor performance to be seen. Bale was fantastic and I still can't get over Heath's performance - absolutely incredible. He put everything into the character and truly deserves the Oscar nom and win. The ending was great too and I hope we get to see more of Two-Face in the next film.

A+

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

So, BKB hasn't answered the questions posed towards the story line which means he never saw the movie. What a pathetic loser. Plus: he can't even tell to three since in my calendar he hasn't been away for three months

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 69  Next