Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hancock 

What grade would you give this film?
A 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 27 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 48

Hancock 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Hancock
Yeah, I liked this more than I thought I would, too

I mean it's not art or anything, but it's an entertaining, well produced, well acted summer movie that puts a nice twist on the superhero genre.

Maybe it's because I already knew it was coming (courtesy of spoiling myself on AICN), but I also liked the film more when the Charlize backstory came in. I thought she played the mix of campy superwoman and real person pretty superbly, and it brought in a comic-style mythology to the character that I liked. It also sets it up perfectly for a sequel or franchise, which I wouldn't mind seeing.

(I also liked how they covered their tracks in the sense that the two superheros just happening to run into each other is explained as more than lazy chance, and Charlize's original revealing of herself, which I was skeptical of at the time, makes sense with the knowledge that she wanted him away from her as soon as possible.)

In any case, I much prefer them taking the route they did in the 3rd act than the alternative, which would be be the public misunderstanding Hancock as being involved in a crime and dumping on him again, while he gets involved with regular housewife Charlize and Batemen catching them leading to the couple's break-up, and then Hancock fixing everything by the end by getting them together Hitch-style while defeating the hand guy, now powered up somehow, which fixes his image... that would've been the safe root, I'm sure. :sleeping:

Peter Berg also doesn't hack it up as much as I expected. Again, it's not like he's David Lynch behind the camera here or anything, but he mixes it up a bit with moving close-ups, blurs and fades, and some of the action scenes are pretty well done, my favorite being the Hancock and Mary throwdown. He varys a little from the normal plant and shoot style, which surprises me because that's exactly what he used in The Kingdom and The Rundown (and the off-field stuff in Friday Night Lights, though that had great editing in the football scenes)

I wouldn't say it's a "great" movie, but it's still probably Smith's best since I dunno, The Legend of Baggar Vance or something. It's a lot better than the Hulk or Get Smart, among other films this summer.

3.5/5

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:54 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

It's not a bad movie. It's just a really uneventful one. I mean, things happen, but I never felt any connection to any of the characters or to the storyline.

Will Smith is the best thing in the movie. He brings his charisma and that cool factor few actors have. I can't wait to see him in Seven Pounds. Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman were good too.

The thing with Charlize was predictable. From her first meaningful glance at him I knew she was just like him and I actually expected her to become a villain. I didn't mind not having a supervillain, but I did mind that he starts to become mortal just when the "villains" escape the prison. I hate those convenient plots - I don't mind them if they are used to tie the smaller plots, but I don't like it when stuff like that is used in the main plot like to have a finale and a final fight out of nowhere, just because this is a superhero movie and it has to have that.

I liked the first part a lot, loser superhero that tries to change himself. I think they should've sticked with that to the end. And then play with Charlize's character in the second movie (and I really hope there is a second one, because under all this mess there seems to be a really good and fun movie).

And I hope the R version gets released on DVD.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:00 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

be.redy wrote:
5/10 -> C-

It's not a bad movie. It's just a really uneventful one. I mean, things happen, but I never felt any connection to any of the characters or to the storyline.

Will Smith is the best thing in the movie. He brings his charisma and that cool factor few actors have. I can't wait to see him in Seven Pounds. Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman were good too.

The thing with Charlize was predictable. From her first meaningful glance at him I knew she was just like him and I actually expected her to become a villain. I didn't mind not having a supervillain, but I did mind that he starts to become mortal just when the "villains" escape the prison. I hate those convenient plots - I don't mind them if they are used to tie the smaller plots, but I don't like it when stuff like that is used in the main plot like to have a finale and a final fight out of nowhere, just because this is a superhero movie and it has to have that.

I liked the first part a lot, loser superhero that tries to change himself. I think they should've sticked with that to the end. And then play with Charlize's character in the second movie (and I really hope there is a second one, because under all this mess there seems to be a really good and fun movie).

And I hope the R version gets released on DVD.

With a better writer and director, it can be really great...but this crew failed..

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 am
Another You

It started out fine, but I thought the pLot had no room for effective buiLd up. CGI was mediocre at best and the action scenes in the middLe feLt quite short. Not that the Last 30 mins. of drama didn't work out for me but, there REALLY shouLd have been a shit-bLowing-up huge action sequence instead Like in aLL superhero movies. The bits of humor, the entire scene with the bank robbery, and Theron made up for those weak points. I was satisfied enough to give it the grade beLow however, I was expecting a Transformers-type of entertainment of some sort so it wouLd have been perfect if there were more and better-executed action.

B

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:20 am
Christian's #1 Fan

roo wrote:
This won't make people happy.

But I liked this more than Iron Man.

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Me too!

I hated Iron Man. This, while I didn't love it, I enjoyed it immensely. Sure, it had its weak moments and it could have been a bit more explanatory, and I did feel that it was a set up for the eventual sequel in the near future, but at any rate I enjoyed it a lot.

B

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:08 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It had so much potential. It was still fun and great entertainment. But what the hell was with the constant "Charlize is gonna be a BIG part of this later!!!" shots?!? After they first met... after they first SHOWED her I knew. They didn't have to keep the akwardness going throughout. :disgust:

A solid B. About 8.4/10

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:45 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I do need to mention one thing though...

The camera work... SHITTY.

:disgust:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:27 pm
Squee

It was Ok.
]
**1/2

:glare:

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:30 pm
---------

Munk·E wrote:
I do need to mention one thing though...

The camera work... SHITTY.

:disgust:

Yep, it was. Except I did like that one shot with Jason Bateman and the train. The rest of the movie tried to do the documentary style way too much.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:08 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Well, I went done gone and fell for Hancock - - Wow!

I hadn't read anything about it, I'd see the trailer twice in the theatre, I hadn't even planned on going to see it tonight, and yet there I was, sitting agape at the gem that is the movie Hancock...

What a great deconstruction of the superhero genre.

What a freakin' great story - - I was surprised from beginning to end.

What a great job by Will Smith and Charlize Theron - - Yeah, I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but damn! - - they did an awesome job of playing their roles in this kabuki-esque timeless tale...

This movie is something really special, and I doubt there'll be a better superhero movie this year or next - - it is resonant glory incarnate.

Superb.

38 out of 5.

Bradford, I love you and all, but did you just do this so you can later put down The Dark Knight as being "not even close to best super hero movie of the month"...?

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:01 am
Extraordinary

snack wrote:
Bradford, I love you and all, but did you just do this so you can later put down The Dark Knight as being "not even close to best super hero movie of the month"...?

Haven't seen TDK yet...

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 am
invading your spaces

snack wrote:

A better question is ask yourself why are you Bat-fans so sensitive about anybody who would conflict (or potentially conflict) with anything but a "masterpiece" level grade for The Dark Knight.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

snack wrote:

:lol:

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeesh, I gave it a C on this poll but after reading the comments, fuck, this movie's an F.

What the hell is right in this movie? It never decides what it wants to be, it's incredibly sappy and stupid and had no fucking plot at all.
I don't want to think of it more because it'll make my head hurt. I just realized this has to be one of the worst movies of all time.
It'll fall like hell on a second viewing for all of you I'm sure.
Don't compare this to Iron Man that was classic this was a piece of turd shitting on another piece of turd.
Really, did the storyline make any sense? It seemed like it was slapped together in like 10 minutes.
Horrible introduction as Theron as a superhero too. Action sequences towards the end were C grade.
I can't believe this made 200 million. Shit.
The whole thing was so forgettable and disgusting I can't believe I wasted time and money on this shithole of a movie.
Will Smith should get the fuck out of shitty scripts that don't do him justice.
I Am legend was very average, shitty FX and lousy as shit ending. This had a lot of potential but fucked execution.
If you had watched the international trailer or even the one on Apple it never tells you anything about Theron storyline.
It was very badly developed in the movie and seemed like a completely different movie. Awful.
Fuck this movie. No grade to give. Worse than zero. I think I have to start grading extremes now since 10,000 BC can't get a C now, more like an F+. Still better than hancock.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Again this year we have another entertaining movie, HANCOCK. a typical summer pop-corn movie flick, clocking in only 90 minutes duration. for me i think Will Smith is the best choice to be picked to play John Hancock character, i don't think other actor can fill this character.

Smith's performance this time still good, but he plays better in his previous movie, I Am Legend. Hancock plot is very simple, and easy to be followed and understand, like their superpower background, etc. there are so many funny dialogue which makes the movie more funny and entertaining.

other than that we get to see the sizzling hot Charlize Theron, she's just so sexy in every scene that have her in it. :)

as for the director, Peter Berg. his shaky camera, zooming in and out style is almost in every scene of HANCOCK, just like he did in The Kingdom, and his others movie, but that doesn't bother me at all. He still did a great job. From the SFX side, Hancock doesn't giving anything new, most of the special FX we already seen it in others movie.

Anyway Hancock will still be this summer blockbuster, i can see at least doing US$200 Million business. overall of the points i give HANCOCK a B-

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:23 am
Profile ICQ WWW
The Original

well made entertaining fun

7/10

Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:59 pm
Teh Mexican

From the moment Charlize's character was revealed to be the same kind as Smith's, the movie fell apart. Overall it was rather entertaining.

Charlize Theran looked HOT! :wub2: :wub2:

B-

Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

I'm not really sure what to think of this.

On the one hand, it's blatantly atonal, forgoing normal plot developments and a consistent mood in favour of its bizarre third act turn. On the other, it's something totally unlike what's seen in superhero movies nowadays, and I really appreciated it for that reason.

I thought the third act was a lot better in execution than in concept, because this idea on paper is rather ridiculous. I thought they pulled it off nicely, though, segueing between light action comedy and heavy romantic drama pretty well, and it's mostly because of the strengths of the actors. It really is an atypical superhero movie, in every sense of the word.

I like Berg's directing style a lot (despite the obvious heavy influence of Michael Mann), and it worked well, for the most part. The only parts that seemed off were the excessive CGI stuff, which luckily there weren't a whole lot of.

It's definitely a deeply flawed movie, and I don't think including any number of chopped scenes or excised swearing can help that. But it's also a lot more interesting than the typical summer blockbuster, if only because of its faults.

I think I liked this more than Iron Man.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:01 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

One hell of a movie until the final half hour when we find out Theron's the same as Smith and they were actually married and a bunch of other shit that just ruined it. I'd grade the first hour an A and the last half hour a D+. So overall I give it a very generous

B

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Fun overall. Simple execution with a movie that wants to tell 2 movies, both very interesting takes on the Superhero mythos. Overall, just a solid B but I want to know what else was there.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:33 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

the extra scene and fucks and asshols did not alleviate the mess that this movie is. Still a D.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 pm
Forum General

If Will Smith was not in this film, this would have been a D film.

However its passable for a C-

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

My thoughts still stand where they did when I saw it back in July (B). It's a fun popcorn flick, but has its share of flaws. I'd really like to see this potential franchise continue, because it has quite a bit of potential if the filmmakers nail down a good focus (which they didn't have the best success with here).

The unrated version adds nothing of value. Remember the "super-cum" scene in the AICN report? It's inserted, and as expected, it doesn't work at all.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 pm
ha ha, charade you are

Finally watched this on DVD. Having distanced myself from any reviews (besides overall Rotten Tomatoes score) and spoilers, I really didn't have too much of an idea about the movie. I had seen the trailer ages ago, but didn't remember too much about the plot of the movie.

I found myself laughing out loud during the 1st half of the movie in multiple scenes. It certainly seemed that Hancock was the antithesis of a normal superhero and didn't take himself seriously. I liked the background music they had that seemed to accompany very well what he was feeling. I was hoping for better cgi during some of the scenes, especially when he was flying, but it turned out to be rather poor. Theron was good and it was clear there was also something special about her. Though the "crazy" scene wasn't nearly as good as the "a**hole" scene.

Although the transition to the more dramatic part may have been somewhat sudden, I thought it went fairly smoothly. One thing that I noticed is when Theron says that she and Hancock end up finding each other, which would explain why her husband happens to be saved by Hancock. Also, the fact that they don't explain persay the origins of Hancock and Theron and leave it open to who/what they are goes directly against what many other superhero movies tend to do (at least for the heroes, the villians are a completly different story).

The one aspect of the ending that I didn't like was when Theron supposedly dies (or at least is clinically dead) for quite some time and then is brought back to life when Hancock finally distances himself from her. If she had become mortal, I figured that she would have stayed dead. That wouldn't be a happy ending though...

Overall I would give it a B-.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:07 pm
Extraordinary

Just saw this on DVD, not knowing much about the film other than the basics. Haven't read this thread.

I enjoyed it; I liked the not completely happy ending (they had to separate). The coincidence that the other supergod person thingie was amazingly married to the very same person who wanted to help Hancock bothered me a bit but I justified it in my mind as the way the gods work and how the two would be attracted to each other and so on.

A solid B.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next