Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Incredible Hulk 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 17 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 22 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 56

The Incredible Hulk 
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: The Incredible Hulk
The Incredible BKB wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Liked it a lot at the beginning, got kind of bored towards the end. And the CGI was awful -- everything until the Hulk/Abomination fight (which does look quite good) has this ridiculous plasticness and sheen to it. It looks exactly like Grand Theft Auto IV on the big screen, and I mean that with no hyperbole.

Downey Jr. got the biggest pop of the night, unsurprisingly.

B

All this whining about the CGI proves 1 thing: That no matter how good it is, people will still find a reason to bitch about it.. The CGI in this movie was as real as it's going to get folks.. This has to be probably one of the more difficult characters to bring to life in a real world environment and I think they pulled that off as convincingly as your going to get..

No.

Davey Jones is the best CGI character ever.

Both close-ups in daylight. No comparison.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:36 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Waker of Winds wrote:
No.

Davey Jones is the best CGI character ever.

Both close-ups in daylight. No comparison.

I disagree. Davey Jones doesn't look real at all. No emotions displayed like with the Hulk.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:03 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Seriously Mav?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about if you think Hulk looks 50% as great as Davey Jones.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:09 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Ripper wrote:
I really think everyone is so damn picky about some of the stuff like the CGI, sure it wasn't bloody perfect,, but I judge the CGI on how distracting it is while watching the movie. I wasn't noticing it that much in this film.

Actually, i though everyone made a to big deal out of the CGI in HUlk (2003).

The opening chase between Banner and the military was quite fun, and the campus fight as well, that's what a sumer movie is about fun, it doesn't have to be all cerebral.

I am sure the longer cut will have more character development.

As for the Liv Tyler sucked comments, I thought she was way worse in TTT, with her pointless scenes in that movie.

Iron Man was better, especially since it held up on a second viewing, but the Hulk was fun, in the summer popcorn movie way.

Glad you liked it. I adored it, and have watched it several times now. Still noticing new easter eggs, as I just 5 minutes ago, as I was watching it again, I noticed that in the opening credits scene, Rick Jones is listed as a "known associate" of Bruce Banners!

They need to get him into the sequel. His ommision as a major character is something I wouldn't have done. They got away with it, but I'd prefer him to be introduced in the sequel.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Munk-E, please stop following me around with the shitty fucking comments. One more time, I take care of it myself, okay mods and admins?

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm reading and replying to almost every active post today. Just because you keep making ridiculous comments doesn't mean I'm "following" you.

You are the one who can't stop with the personal attacks. I've reported MANY of your posts.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:15 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Munk·E wrote:
I'm reading and replying to almost every active post today. Just because you keep making ridiculous comments doesn't mean I'm "following" you.

You are the one who can't stop with the personal attacks. I've reported MANY of your posts.

I'm sure anybody with intelligence realizes that you follow me around being a dick, so don't whine when I call you one. In fact, ignore me. I haven't used that feature on anybody, but I'm going to have to look into that with you. Do the same with me.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Then how will I be able to report any of your personal attacks against almost every member of the forum?!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm
Stanley Cup

how about you both shut the fuck up

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:23 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jim, which CGI is better:

The Incredible Hulk

or

Davey Jones?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 pm
Stanley Cup

Munk·E wrote:

The Incredible Hulk

or

Davey Jones?

davey

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:26 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Now I will shut up :thumbsup:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Pulpy and lean where Ang Lee's picture was dreary and ponderous. The Incredible Hulk works because of it's sheer lack of ambition; I, for one, am tired of comic book flicks with delusions of grandeur and running times to match. TIH's single minded devotion to action and forward motion is admirable, as is the under 2-hour runtime. Leterrier shows a real skill for handling the action sequences; holy shit, I could tell what was happening and to whom!

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:15 pm
He didn't look busy?!

yoshue wrote:
Leterrier shows a real skill for handling the action sequences; holy shit, I could tell what was happening and to whom!
when you've got a large green monster fighting against people, that doesn't come as much of a surprise :P

and even in that last fight, they simply looked very different, so yeah.

Still, it wasn't like Transformers, where they all looked the same to begin with, and then Michael Bay decided to make the fights really closeup so that it was impossible to tell what was happening to who.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Jim Halpert wrote:
Munk·E wrote:

The Incredible Hulk

or

Davey Jones?

davey

Davey Jones wasn't on as large of a grand scale as a 10 foot tall 1500 LB Green monster Man was charging around the environment the way he was displayed.... Bringing a character like the HULK to life is proibably one of the harder tasks than a character like Davey Jones or even Gollum..

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
Munk·E wrote:

The Incredible Hulk

or

Davey Jones?

davey

Davey Jones wasn't on as large of a grand scale as a 10 foot tall 1500 LB Green monster Man was charging around the environment the way he was displayed.... Bringing a character like the HULK to life is proibably one of the harder tasks than a character like Davey Jones or even Gollum..

...and even harder were the Oscar winning polar bears in The Golden Compass...

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
Munk·E wrote:

The Incredible Hulk

or

Davey Jones?

davey

Davy Jones and Gollum have character. They express things through their eyes, like real characters. Hulk looks angry and hits things.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:52 pm
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
Pulpy and lean where Ang Lee's picture was dreary and ponderous. The Incredible Hulk works because of it's sheer lack of ambition; I, for one, am tired of comic book flicks with delusions of grandeur and running times to match. TIH's single minded devotion to action and forward motion is admirable, as is the under 2-hour runtime. Leterrier shows a real skill for handling the action sequences; holy shit, I could tell what was happening and to whom!

You're a sell-out.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

The Dark Shape wrote:
Davy Jones and Gollum have character. They express things through their eyes, like real characters. Hulk looks angry and hits things.

That's just a joke. Neither of those character's had the expressions that the Hulk had. His eyes, mouth, body language, etc... It's ridiculous to even try to debate that.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:59 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

There is more expression in Hulk '03's little finger than in the ENTIRE new Hulk movie.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:08 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Maverikk wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

That's just a joke. Neither of those character's had the expressions that the Hulk had. His eyes, mouth, body language, etc... It's ridiculous to even try to debate that.

I thought Gollum in particular was very very impressive. I mean, considering ROTK came out 5 years before TIH, he still looks miles better IMO. Hulk looked awful in some shots in this movie. Such as the one you have in your avatar.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's a mirror of Iron Man. That movie worked so well because of everything but the action... The chemistry between Stark and Pepper, testing the machine, the script, it just had a wonderful charm and vibrance throughout. The action was the weakest part of Iron Man.

Hulk on the other hand, has decent action scenes (I'd like to call them great, but they aren't really, they're just better than everything else), but falls completley dead everywhere else. I felt nothing for these characters or their story, and none of the Hulk angst Bruce should be portraying. Particularly in any scenes with Liv Tyler and William Hurt. It's really hard to take the Bruce and Betty relationship seriously when every line feels like it'd be turned down in an audition. Also trying to picture this bumbling airhead as a doctor brought on shades of Denise Richards in The World Is Not Enough.

Roth is ok. I don't think he was given enough. Norton was pretty good, but again, he wasn't chewing on the most material here.

I also agree it's hard to treat it as the "balls to the wall action" version of Hulk and judge it just on that, when it probably has less action scenes than the original.

Oh, and there was one moment that really bugged me, when the helicopter crashed full-on and everyone dies but Tyler and Hurt... in fact they walk out unscathed. Like, if you're going to be that blatantly lazy, just don't have the helicopter crash. This isn't Lost rules. I also could've done without the Abomination lines and the Hulk breath/clap thing. And I wasn't all that impressed by the CGI.

Anyways, it's watchable and certainly not the worst of the comic book movies, but there's certainly not much about it I'll call "great". It's just kind of there.

2/5

Last edited by Shack on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:21 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

BKB/ Mav first off the CGI in the original Jurassic Park looks a thousands times better than the CGI in this, and that was released 15yrs ago. Davey Jones and Gollum blow the doors off this as well.

The CGI was very hit and miss in this. Most of the distant to medium shots looked amateurish to cartoony. The whole scene with Hulk and Betty in the rain hiding in the cave just had me laughing my ass off in terms of how bad the CGI was. When she tried to hold his hand and they were nowhere close to each other. The stuff that did work were the close ups of Hulks face or when the focus was just on Hulk or Abonination. I also thought the scene in Mr. Blues lab was ok. Maybe if they used one established CGI/effex firm (Digital Domain,ILM) instead of farming it to by my count four different shops then maybe the quality would've been better.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 pm

The Mr Pink wrote:
BKB/ Mav first off the CGI in the original Jurassic Park looks a thousands times better than the CGI in this, and that was released 15yrs ago. Davey Jones and Gollum blow the doors off this as well.

The CGI was very hit and miss in this. Most of the distant to medium shots looked amateurish to cartoony. The whole scene with Hulk and Betty in the rain hiding in the cave just had me laughing my ass off in terms of how bad the CGI was. When she tried to hold his hand and they were nowhere close to each other. The stuff that did work were the close ups of Hulks face or when the focus was just on Hulk or Abonination. I also thought the scene in Mr. Blues lab was ok. Maybe if they used one established CGI/effex firm (Digital Domain,ILM) instead of farming it to by my count four different shops then maybe the quality would've been better.

If you really think the CGI in the rain scene and the cave look bad, then there's simply no pleasing you cause the closeup shot of his arm while sitting next to her looked as real as it's going to get, right down to the veins bulging and the skin texture.. In the end, they couyld make the most so called photo realisitic shot known to God and you'd all still know it's CGI.. Too much nitpicking here...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:21 am
Profile WWW

Waker of Winds wrote:
Maverikk wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

I thought Gollum in particular was very very impressive. I mean, considering ROTK came out 5 years before TIH, he still looks miles better IMO. Hulk looked awful in some shots in this movie. Such as the one you have in your avatar.

Gollum is surrounded by darkness in 95% of the shots he's in so naturally, it's easier to render him, but when it comes to a 10 foot tall, 1500 LB Green monster constantly on the go, both in day shots and night, he looks damn impressive and one can clearly tell the FX in this were head and shoulders above anything we saw in the 2003 movie and if you say otherwise, then your an Ang Lee whore who feels the guy can simply do no wrong from the getgo.. The HULK in his movie looked more like a Mongoloid Baby throwiing a hissy tantrum, especially in the dog fight than the new and much improved HULK which would make 1 crap their pants encountering him...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next