Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Incredible Hulk 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 17 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 22 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 56

The Incredible Hulk 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Incredible Hulk
Admittedly, the Hulk's cgi "Tom Cruise" hairdo, sways around in the breeze real nice...

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 am
He didn't look busy?!

Maverikk wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Davy Jones and Gollum have character. They express things through their eyes, like real characters. Hulk looks angry and hits things.

That's just a joke. Neither of those character's had the expressions that the Hulk had. His eyes, mouth, body language, etc... It's ridiculous to even try to debate that.
You can't really believe what you're saying, can you?

I don't think it's as good as CGI gets, but each freakin' tentacle has its own personality and his face covers every emotion throughout the two movies.

He's big. He's green. He's angry. He's nothing else.

The 2008 Hulk is good CGI-work, but I can guarantee that it won't pick up an Oscar nomination for VFX, and I can tell you that it won't just be because "everyone is being a bitch because they didn't like Ang Lee's Hulk and can't move on"

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

The Hulk was big, green, and angry, and nothing else?

billybob, how about watching the film before trying to discuss it. If you claim that you did, then I can only wonder how bad your attention span is.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:35 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

stfu Maverick. You're too blinded by your fanboyism.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Waker of Winds wrote:

When you display the intelligence to spell, I'll start worrying about the little tough guy sitting behind the safety of his computer. :funny:

You obviously haven't seen it, either.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:18 pm
why so serious?

I have seen it (my review is in the crowd reports thread), and though the CGI is good, it's definitely not as good as the Davy Jones work. Davy Jones was a bigger achievement in facial and bodily expressions, and looked more like a part of his world than Hulk does.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:28 pm
why so serious?

And here's said review, from Saturday's crowd report thread:

Right off the bat, I did not like this one as much as its 2003 predecessor. I felt that film had a better story, the actors had better handles on their roles, and it managed to have me more intellectually involved in the proceedings. But that being said, The Incredible Hulk is very solid summer entertainment, and taken in such a different direction that it's tough to draw direct piece-by-piece comparisons with Ang Lee's film. Edward Norton proves to be an excellent choice for the role of Bruce Banner, giving us a hero to cheer for. But apart from his role and Tim Blake Nelson's brief role as "Mr. Blue," this isn't an actor's movie. (Though Tim Roth, Liv Tyler, and William Hurt are adequate in their roles.) Instead, it's all about moving the story forward and filling the screen with action; both of which are done very well. The film accomplishes a lot of storytelling in the course of 114 minutes, as it moves at a breakneck pace. The big action pieces (chase through the Brazilian city, the university attack, and the climactic Hulk/Abomination showdown) impress as much as any big effects-driven showdowns in recent superhero films. Could it have been better? Definitely. (I imagine Norton's ideas for the film may have encompassed clearer explanations of how a few things happen, not to mention more development and backstory of the rocky father-daughter relationship between General Ross and Betty.) But as it is, Incredible Hulk is pretty solid summer entertainment, and the door is left wide open for a sequel that will hopefully improve upon this already solid offering.

Grade: B+

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Webslinger wrote:
I have seen it (my review is in the crowd reports thread), and though the CGI is good, it's definitely not as good as the Davy Jones work. Davy Jones was a bigger achievement in facial and bodily expressions, and looked more like a part of his world than Hulk does.

I've seen Incredible Hulk 5 times. I'll go with that. ;)

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm
Award Winning Bastard

These two critics get it.

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenav ... ubsec=5776

Richard Roeper does get on the studio for giving away the Tony Stark cameo. "Why do that?" he says... d'uh.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:58 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

MR. GREEN wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
BKB/ Mav first off the CGI in the original Jurassic Park looks a thousands times better than the CGI in this, and that was released 15yrs ago. Davey Jones and Gollum blow the doors off this as well.

The CGI was very hit and miss in this. Most of the distant to medium shots looked amateurish to cartoony. The whole scene with Hulk and Betty in the rain hiding in the cave just had me laughing my ass off in terms of how bad the CGI was. When she tried to hold his hand and they were nowhere close to each other. The stuff that did work were the close ups of Hulks face or when the focus was just on Hulk or Abonination. I also thought the scene in Mr. Blues lab was ok. Maybe if they used one established CGI/effex firm (Digital Domain,ILM) instead of farming it to by my count four different shops then maybe the quality would've been better.

If you really think the CGI in the rain scene and the cave look bad, then there's simply no pleasing you cause the closeup shot of his arm while sitting next to her looked as real as it's going to get, right down to the veins bulging and the skin texture.. In the end, they couyld make the most so called photo realisitic shot known to God and you'd all still know it's CGI.. Too much nitpicking here...

If your going to hang your hat on that sequence as being the most realistic CGI work ever done then your version of quality CGI and the rest of the worlds are very far apart. In that scene Betty looked as if SHE didn't belong in the shot. She looked like the weatherman on the local news just a whole lot worse. If you read my entire response I did credit the scenes/shots where I felt the CGI was good. But you like Mav are so blinded by your love for all things big and green, you have become unable to accept valid critiques of the film. It's not nitpicking to expect the same quality of CGI work throughout the same movie. Hulk's CGI was so hit and miss it was bordering on pathetic.

Mav
Thanks for supporting your local theatre, just make sure you spend lots of money at the snackbar while you're there.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:13 pm
ef star star kay

On par with Iron Man. A good fun.

B+

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 am
Cream of the Crop

I voted a B, with my grade for it being A-/B+. After watching the '03 Hulk last night for the first time since it came out, I'm inclined to drop the B+ and stick with just an A-.

Having seen the two movies one night after another, it was easy to compare and contrast. I didn't like the origin story in the '03 movie; too hokey for me. The whole daddy issue thing was just, yech. I also didn't like the weird boxes they used to try and make it look like a comic book; it was incredibly annoying... This is a MOVIE, not a comic book! The only thing I really liked about the '03 movie upon my re-watching was Jennifer Connelly's portrayal of Betty and ILM's work on the Hulk.

I liked everything about TIH, with a few exceptions. Ed Norton was awesome as Bruce. The action was great; far more exciting than the '03 film (and speaking of, I HATED that whole leaping thing in the '03 movie--he looked like a freaking giant toad; way too unbelievable). I will agree that there needed to be a bit more angst, and I look forward to the director's cut. But I really didn't get much more angst out of the '03 film than this one....

The exceptions I have with TIH are few. I liked the chase scenes in Brazil (I *adore* Brazil's architecture!), but for me, it suffered a bit from shaky-cam syndrome; it had me a bit dizzy. Jennifer Connelly definitely was the better Betty. Liv Tyler's a good actress, but sometimes I just can't see her as whatever character she's playing more than just her being Liv Tyler.

And I have to say that while the physics of the CGI in TIH were better, ILM's work on the skin textures of the '03 Hulk were definitely better.

So, for me, my ultimate Hulk film would be to take the '08 film, add whatever scenes were deleted, change out Liv Tyler for Jennifer Connelly, and hire ILM for the graphics.

So, I liked this film, but it just didn't quite reach Iron Man for me, though it was far better storywise and action-wise than the '03 movie. I have to admit that I was almost more excited about the Tony Stark cameo than anything else in this film. LOL I found myself on the edge of my seat waiting for him to show up (and of course, it had to be at the very end!).

I know nothing about comic books. I view comic-based films from the viewpoint of it being simply a movie with no background besides what I'm seeing and hearing on-screen. And thus far, Iron Man is my absolutely favorite of all the comic-based films I've seen. I think I'd put the '08 Hulk as my second favorite. I liked the Fantastic Four movies, as well as the X-Men films. I haven't seen Batman Begins, but plan to watch it tonight (gotta see it before Dark Knight comes out, which I'm really wanting to see). I personally liked Daredevil, and I really want to see the Director's Cut (which I've heard is pretty good). I didn't like Spider-Man, and therefore have not seen the second or third films. I liked the '03 Hulk when I first saw it, but didn't have anything much to compare it to; now that I have many more to compare, it's probably my second-least favorite (with Spidey being my least). I haven't seen Superman Returns and I'm not sure if I'll ever be bored enough to watch it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. So, in conclusion, Stan Lee rocks, and Iron Man is the best comic-based movie I've ever seen, with this new Hulk in a fairly close second.

Bring on the sequels!

Joy

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Tina, after that review, your stock as coolest chick at the KJ forums is rising! :D

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Maverikk wrote:
Tina, after that review, your stock as coolest chick at the KJ forums is rising! :D

Let's not get to crazy here ;)

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Maverikk wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:

When you display the intelligence to spell, I'll start worrying about the little tough guy sitting behind the safety of his computer. :funny:

You obviously haven't seen it, either.

Think what you want. No one cares.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The comic look for the '03 Hulk was one of the most innovative things done in a film.

It was WONDERFUL.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 pm
Killing With Kindness

I liked Hulk 03 more.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Waker of Winds wrote:
...and you're not?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

billybobwashere wrote:
Waker of Winds wrote:
...and you're not?

^Misattributed quote (Waker of Winds wouldn't say that)...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I dont see too big of a problem here between people debating here. Waker's STFU comment was uncalled for here and make sure you watch your tone next time. You can argue and debate with him but not in that context. Other than that carry on like fanboys

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:56 pm

^ I don't like your attitude either.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Waker of Winds wrote:

you gone and done did it now.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

All you people should STFU and eat some apple pie.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Waker of Winds wrote:

Saying that to an admin is never a good idea.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I don't like roid's attitude!!!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next