Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Taking of Pelham One Two Three 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Post The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Quote:
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, also known as The Taking of Pelham 123 is a 1974 American thriller film directed by Joseph Sargent, produced by Edgar J. Scherick and starring Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, Jerry Stiller, Julius Harris, and Martin Balsam. Peter Stone adapted the screenplay, from the novel of the same name by Morton Freedgood (under the pen name John Godey).

It was remade in 1998 as a TV movie and was again remade in 2009 as a film.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Post Re: The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
The Taking of Pelham 1:23: **** (A+)

Never heard of this movie until just recently. Glad I followed through on my friend's recommendation, cause this movie is top 100 material almost assuredly. I may even put it in my top 50. The movie is that good.

It's about 4 criminals who take a train car and its 18 civilians hostage for 1 million dollars. Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Mr. Green are their aliases (later borrowed by Tarantino for Reservoir Dogs). They ask for 1 million dollars in 1 hour or they will kill a hostage for each minute after the deadline.

A fantastic ending highlights an already fantastic movie going into that ending. The last 10 seconds may be a bit too corny for my tastes, but I prefer to remember the 20 minutes that came before it.

I may even like this movie more than Reservoir Dogs. Shockingly excellent.

:glare:

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Awesome Squee reccomendation.

Ill write more later, but ace movie.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:04 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

This is a terrific, tight and funny thriller and it never missteps.

Peter Stone's screenplay is just bursting with smart, authentic dialogue. The bickering in the transit office, the casual racism and sexism, the riotous scenes with Tony Roberts (what a pleasant surprise to see him!).

And that ending...just brilliant. Squee's too hard on the last 10 seconds. I was giddy for at least a half hour after the movie ended. I even rewound the DVD to see final moments again.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:14 pm
loyalfromlondon

I liked it. It's witty and entertaining. But I can't help but feel they could've done more with it. The plot goes in a totally conventional direction, and at no point are you unsure of where it'll end up; it never really seems to build to anything, and then it's over. The dialogue is sharp and crackling, but doesn't gets a chance to breathe; the radio conversations should've been a lot more. Shaw and Matthau are both unrelentingly dry, and the film needed a spark to play off them. The whole thing feels too slight.

Who was Tony Roberts, yosh?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:28 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Great movie, I wish they made more action movies like this, grounded in reality dealing with real people. Not every action movie has to have a national monuments being destroyed and about superheroes.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

What a great movie! Very intense throughout even though it shows a step by step response to the crisis rather than just focusing on the hero and the villain like the remake. That's not an easy balance to achieve, especially for an old movie. Yet the pace never falters and the movie is never not thrilling.

9.5/10

Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]