Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Knocked Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 42 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59

Knocked Up 
Devil's Advocate

I love Paul Rudd so much. He really needs to get the lead role in the next Apatow film, he just has to. IMO he's potentially one of the great comic actors of this generation, if not the.

The film itself is just... great . What seperates this from the 40 Year Old Virgin for me, is that while that film was good and obviously funny and all, the whole thing felt a bit surreal. Not only the concept, but the way the characters talked as well... The conversation was written as jokes. In Knocked Up, the entire thing is completley realistic and situations like this probably happen all the time, the characters feel like real people, the dialogue feels like real dialogue. The relationship between Ben and Alison, or Rudd and his wife, or Ben and his friends, just feels so much more earnest than something like the support group in the 40YOV. Real messages of responsibility and how much self-worth you have, and finding happiness in getting away for a night or weekend, or learning to like someone you didn't expect, are brought up here. It's just on a different level of depth, these feel like real people completley.

Oh, and the movie is hilarious too after all.

A/A-

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:26 am
Devil's Advocate

By the way, for those people saying it didn't have a strong story... Isn't it the point of the film that life is a tangled, awkward, overlapping mess that you can't control? That's how I took it anyways. The story was these people's lives over 9 months in its entirety, not a specific arc in general. It wanted to put these characters through a span where they mature, and capture on film all 9 months of them as people changing psychologically. I loved the way the plotlines and events were put together actually, it really is a fantasticly deep character and thematic piece for the R rated comedy it is. Reminds me of Groundhog Day actually, where the film is hilarious, but it has all that depth as well.

I have more appreciation for this film the more I think about it.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:00 am
Mod Team Leader

I have seen this three times now, and as cliched as this is, I have found something humourous each time in the film that I didn't pick up on before. This has catapulted itself into my top 100 films of all time now. I just love it. Yes ti is funny, but moreso, it delves into areas of relationships that no other film has gone before, at least none that i have seen. It is for young people, but believe it or not, a lot of the humour is aimed at 30 somethings.

Last edited by baumer72 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

By the way, for those people saying it didn't have a strong story... Isn't it the point of the film that life is a tangled, awkward, overlapping mess that you can't control?

That is a hilarious theory of screenwriting!

The story should be a "tangled, awkward, overlapping mess" to reflect the subject matter... :hahaha:

(I guess I should just count myself lucky that The Godfather had an "organized" story because it was about organized crime...)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:34 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Great film. still doesn't reach the greatness of the 40-YOV

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Optimus Prime wrote:

Knocked up btw, = best movie of the year.

It's the only film I've given an A+ to thus far.

The chick in it is good. She looks vaguely familiar.

I'm sure that will/has already change(d)

Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:31 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Good...but very uneven. Though, I must admit it was a vast improvement on the unfunny, boring, cliched and trite mess of a film that was The 40 Year Old Virgin. The strong points where when it tried to be funny, but it fell flat when it tried to get melo-dramatic ala The Break-Up.

Good cast, good script. Overall, entertaining, but not perfect. And yeah, I could have done without seeing the whole baby-popping-out-of-the-vagina thing.

B

Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:34 am
Teh Mexican

Post Re: Knocked Up
Hilarious indeed!. I really havent laughed that hard in a while. IMO way better than Wedding Crashers and 40YOV.

A-

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:42 pm
Begging Naked

I really don't have much to add, so I'll just post my favorite part of the movie:

Leslie Mann is so goddamn awesome. :yes:

***.5/****

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

As awesome as Leslie Mann was in this movie, I would have to say Kristen Wiig was even better. She has like six lines, but she was sooooo hilarious. I've been trying to find her clips online but have had no luck.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 am
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

This movie gets better and better with repeat viewings.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 am
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, it's my favorite Apatow

I think I said this in the Superbad thread, but it's interesting that while the movies are mostly there for the funny and I love them for it, the 3 films are also kind of this great trilogy about change. Just with people at different points in their lives: High school, young adult, and middle age.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:41 am
Kypade

I've been craving another viewing of this film, but I have way too much to do to go out and buy/rent it right now. : ( Just gotta get through one more week. :O

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:15 pm
Sbil

I've made a couple of subtle hints that I want this and Hairspray purchased for me for Christmas. Heh.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:37 pm
Squee

Libs wrote:
I've made a couple of subtle hints that I want this and Hairspray purchased for me for Christmas. Heh.

Hints like "Wow, I really loved Knocked Up and Hairspray. Such great movies. It would be pretty cool if I had them in my DVD collection some day. Preferably soon."

?

:glare:

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 am
Team Kris

Squee wrote:
Libs wrote:

Hints like "Wow, I really loved Knocked Up and Hairspray. Such great movies. It would be pretty cool if I had them in my DVD collection some day. Preferably soon."

?

Either that or Libs has been putting on a beehive hairdo while wearing maternity clothing.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:21 pm
He didn't look busy?!

definitely one of my favorite movies of the year, mainly due to being both downright hilarious and just as strongly effective emotionally. Apatow scored with The 40 Year Old Virgin, but this is his masterpiece to date, a film as perfect as romantic comedies can get. Not to mention, Rogan and Heigl were both fantastic. Both deserve at least Globe noms for their work. This really blew me away, which is even more surprising considering I've never been involved in a pregnancy and can't find it relatable on that level. Luckily, the film relates on so many levels that this didn't make a difference.

A+

#2 of 2007 so far

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

i saw it again recently hoping my grade would go up. it did not

B+

supebad is far superior.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:06 pm
Draughty

I'd give it around a B. Pleasant, amiable but not all that funny. It is basically a conservative Sunday school message wrapped up in pot, "fuck!" and mushrooms in order to seem hip and divert attention away from how conventional it is. Paul Rudd stole most of his scenes.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 am
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I took a long time getting around to seeing this one, so maybe I was expecting a little too much from all the hype. It was good, and had some very funny scenes, but it never knocked my socks off as much as I expected. And, it was a little on the long side for a movie of this flavor. I felt it ran out of a little steam by the end. Still, all in all it was an enjoyable movie that was easy to watch. I'll give it a B.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:16 pm
Another You

FinaLLy saw it. It's a hiLarious yet no mindLess comedy unLike 97% of the comedies around. IncredibLy funny from start to finish with hiLarious one-Liners Like "If any of us get laid tonight, it's because of Eric Bana in Munich." and "Now that's how you get pink eye.". Fantastic perfomances as weLL, with the supporting cast ecLipsing HeigL and Rogen combined IMO. What makes it so great is that it keeps the audiences Laugh for 2 hours without reLying on out of this worLd characters and situations.

A

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:59 pm
You must have big rats

I've seen it recently at last! It's really a great fun film. It's not the best comedy released in 2007, as I'd say Superbad and, to an extent Hot Fuzz were funnier, but I still had a blast watching this. While I gave this and The 40-Year Old Virgin the same grade, I must say that I liked Knocked Up a small tad more. What is really the stand-out thing about Knocked Up is its outstanding ensemble. It's really an ensemble work. Obviously Rogen and Heigl are the leads, but the movie wouldn't be nearly as good without their supporting cast.

Most of the laughs were due to Jonah Hill who's simply hilarious. One of the funniest lines:

"If I go in there and see fuckin' pubes sprinkled on the toilet seat, I'm gonna fuckin' lose my mind! Last time I went to the bathroom, Jay, I took a shit and my shit looked like a fuckin' stuffed animal!"

It's a great film to watch with many people, though. I'm not sure I would hjave enjoyed it as much watching it on my own. Rogen is a good leading men here, providing his fair share of laughs too. Heigl, while not funn, still did a good acting job here, providing one of the few rather serious performances in the movie.

The first hour of the film is really by far the funniest part of it. After that, it starts to drag a bit. I must say that having this last for a bit over two hours (I saw the Unrated version) was unnecessary and a bit of a stretch for a comedy to keep up the laughs for over two hours. In that aspect it didn't succeed, but as I said, the first hour was great.

Moreover, apart from being a comedy, the movie also does a pretty decent job depicting some more serious themes as well, like marriage, pregnancy and anxieties connected with these things. These things shine more through in the second, less funny half of the film. Had a movie been a bit more even, as far as the serious and the funny aspects go, I probably would have liked it even more, but it was still a lot of fun, showing that the Apatow team (3 for 3 now with Virgin, Superbad and this) is the new dream team when it comes to comedy, especially the R-rated ones.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Like Virgin, this one improves on DVD. Still, though - it's no comedy classic. I much prefer Superbad out of the Apatow lot.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:22 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

A fun little comedy yet 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad are better (I should be watching Walk Hard here in a few days).

B

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
...the Apatow team (3 for 3 now with Virgin, Superbad and this) is the new dream team when it comes to comedy, especially the R-rated ones.

Let's not forget the superb Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story...

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next