Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
B 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke] 

Post Re: Princess Mononoke
I'm sure no one here is surprisd to hear you say that at all.
Not that my writing was really expressing film theory anyway.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm
Pure Phase

It was expressing the notion there's more to Miyazaki films than meets the eye.

Deep.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Gunslinger wrote:

Deep.

I did not claim it was anything special, simply my analysis of the film, for better or worse. Although it was certainly not less insightful than the paragraphs you drone on and on in your "film reviews."

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 am
Pure Phase

Michael A wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Deep.

I did not claim it was anything special, simply my analysis of the film, for better or worse. Although it was certainly not less insightful than the paragraphs you drone on and on in your "film reviews."

Ouch. :(

I was simply paying you a compliment, praising the depth of your analysis, and you respond rudely.

You're a mean, mean boy, Michael A!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mononoke-hime [Princess Mononoke]
Michael A wrote:
...infinitely better than the overrated spirited away.
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Maybe I should clarify. We studied all the Japanese conventions, symbolism, sub-texts and such included in spirited away and I find all of it fascinating. Miyazaki is throwing around messages, satire, and themes galore in that movie and there's a lot to take from it. Aside from which the animation is gorgeous and polished and the characters likeable. I can certainly see how it attained the status of his pinnacle of film-making, even by his prospective it probably was. However Monoke registers on more levels than simply a thematic compilation for me. The manipulation of action-adventure conventions via the singular note desperate scream for pacifism is so blatantly obvious within the movie it's almost blinding. And yet the sub-text of this thing! Primarily its amazing that while satirizing these conventions Miyazaki produces them so damn well. Furthermore the integration of just as excellently constructed characters and themes into this fantasy/war/adventure story is a much more challenging and fascinating setting than the changing tapestry that is essentially a blank canvas to project themes that is Spirited Away.

Film theory is a curse.
Michael A wrote:
I'm sure no one here is surprisd to hear you say that at all.

Thank-you for the unexpected compliment! I pride myself on watching movies for the pure joy of the experience and I always try do so untainted by others' theories and opinions.

Michael A wrote:
Not that my writing was really expressing film theory anyway.

On closer reading, I have to admit that you're right on this point.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:28 am

We're talking about the Muramachi Period in Japanese history class right now. Apparently the Emishi tribe was a real tribe.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

hate it

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Johnny Dollar wrote:
hate it

someday yoshue may learn that a movie does not require "real people" to be of quality.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:21 am
The Lubitsch Touch

like toy story 3, my favorite movie of the year?

okay

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 am
You must have big rats

lol

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm
Profile WWW

Why do you hate it yoshue?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Johnny Dollar wrote:
like toy story 3, my favorite movie of the year?

okay

I was merely teasing yoshue, I know you are a pixar lover and don't hate animation indiscriminately. You have said before that you hate anime though.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:31 pm
Forum General

All time Anime Film..

A

I watched the film 10 years ago when I was 14 and it was on the kids network (you know back in the days when they played good stuff).

I was blown away by the film as the only Anime stuff I saw was Dragon Ball Z or Sailor Moon.

I was just amazed at the epic nature of the story, the interesting characters and it was a film I could not understand at the age of 14.

This is a film for adults as when I re watched this film 2-3 times recently did I realize how well made this film really was.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:30 pm
Profile WWW

I stand by this as the best animated film ever made.

Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:48 pm

Feels like in today’s world this movie is becoming more and more relevant. So many people only see this as an eco-fable, but labeling it as such does such a disservice to the multi-faceted nature of the movie. Hatred is a major theme in this movie and right now this movie perfectly captures how the world (particularly the US) is constantly pushing people to one side or the other and wants you to hate your enemy when finding peace is becoming increasingly difficult, but not impossible. In fact finding a peace between opposing sides is vital to our survival.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2