Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
i break the rules, so i don't care

well. I will plug my myspace now. http://www.myspace.com/getluv . The more friends i have the more u have.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:03 pm
htm

zennier wrote:
i don't like this thread anymore.

if i post more jaye, will it go away?

this thread is forever

can't i buy you off with a lovely glamour shot of our man?

leave dino out of this. :nonono:

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:09 pm
New Server, Same X

If Zing watches this and gives it a "C", I'm going to shoot him. I swear.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:23 pm
Extraordinary

I just finished seeing it in perfect dvd quality.I thought it was a good flick, especially the action, its some of the best directed action i have seen, especially the uprising part towards the end, unfortunally the story keeps this movie from being a masterpiece, i just didnt care much for the story, but the action is so good and so well directed that i have to recommend it for that alone.

***/****

B

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I was wrong...

Yes, I realize this takes up the whole screen. Enjoy the Jaye, people.

It's actually Dil??? :ohmy:

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:14 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

If Zing watches this and gives it a "C", I'm going to shoot him. I swear.

Screw that, i'll castrate him.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 am
htm

Our dil. :blush:

I have more. Luckily, he did lots of modeling before he went off the radar.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:40 am
Extraordinary

One thing i would like to add, even though i thought the story was not all that i still think Cuaron should get a best director nod because the film is so well directed.It was also visually great, i wouldnt mind if this beat apocalypto for best cinematagraphy, those 2 are the best shot films IMO of 2006, though the cgi baby was awful.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

One thing i would like to add, even though i thought the story was not all that i still think Cuaron should get a best director nod because the film is so well directed.It was also visually great, i wouldnt mind if this beat apocalypto for best cinematagraphy, those 2 are the best shot films IMO of 2006, though the cgi baby was awful.

I don't see you making any CGI babies!

The CGI baby had its moments of shoddiness, but for the most part I thought it was sound. I was particularly surprised to see it actually come out of her vagina. First time I saw it, I remember being genuinely astonished - thinking they'd filmed an actual birth. It was only afterwards the thought occurred that it might be cgi. Still it floored me.

Glad you enjoyed it neo_wolf. Perhaps, over time, you'll come to love it.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This year’s best Oscar winner will not deserve its win. A big claim you might say, but after watching Alfonso Caurons masterpiece of filmmaking Children of Men I have no hesitation in saying it, because when this film finally gets overlooked in the Oscar shakedown mainly due to inept release scheduling and tepid marketing the final five going for the gold statue will know they’re in a field bereft of the best movie of 2006.

From the start this film has the deck stacked against it. It lays in the genre of Dystopian Sci-Fi a section of cinema that’s the ultimate anaemia to an Oscar voter. And it doesn’t feature any blatant Oscar baiting characters to worm into the hearts of the Oscar judges an essential ingredient to convincing the academy for a vote. Instead what you get is a movie built on stunning cinematography, understated but pitch perfect acting, seriously engaging issues and a generally all round aura of every piece fitting perfectly into place.

The world given to use by Alfonso Cauron is a painstakingly constructed vision of near tomorrow where women have become infertile and the world has slowly descended into chaos with only the battered but still standing Island of Britain left to live out the last days of civilisation. The detail of this work is at a level that has never been achieved before in film. London is a smog ridden shadow of its former self as people move about in old battered cars and litter lays in large quantities on the streets, while the little glimpses of technology that could be conceivable be in use in the year 2027 (the films setting) are woven into the film seamlessly, never looking like a crude superimposed extra. Clive Owen, Michael Caine

But it isn’t just the visuals that stand out as we get a number of truly memorable scenes throughout the movie. One of Theo (Clive Owen) visiting his cousin Nigel (Danny Huston) in citadel-like “Ark of Art” is at turns haunting and touching as they stand in the remains of humanity’s visual expression. Then there is a scene in a farmhouse which is one of the tensest sequences ever put to screen, but the main set piece is the battle sequence near the end of the movie which is played out in one incredibly constructed single shoot which no cuts at any stage. It is a compellingly realistic snapshot of urban warfare which no other film has ever come close to matching and is perfect showcase for the director’s visual flair.

Even men like Michael Caine an actor who has of late descended into predictable roles doesn’t disappoint, his Pot smoking yet gentle hearted Jasper is a highly enjoyable play against type while elsewhere people like Chiwetel Ejiofor as one of the figureheads of the “Fishes” an anti-government group and Julianne Moore as Julian the Fishes leader give performances at par with the best of their careers.

Mention should also be made of the films interweaving into the plot of current hot button issues like terrorism, immigration and racial tolerance all of which fits seamlessly into the film. Even the soundtrack is without fault with each song fitting its scene in an apt manner.

It’s a film that in the coming years will be looked on as a true classic if only this reviewer was proven wrong on Oscar night and it became a current classic as well. Here’s hoping.

A+

Last edited by Gulli on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:49 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:53 am
Extraordinary

My second favorite movie of 2006. I was in complete awe as Theo and Kee move through stunned immigrants and soldiers.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:46 am
College Boy T

I watched a downloaded copy (DVD quality, though), and I've gotta say, it *did not* live up to my expectations at all. Like, maybe if you guys hadn't said anything, but...

Okay, so, the first hour is crap. Unless you know what this movie's about before walking in, or pay attention to every little detail, you're gonna be lost. What was with the whole Julianne Moore "deafing" Clive Owen thing? Did that make ANY sense?

Butttttttt the last thirty minutes are good. It has a thrilling battle sequence (102829x better than Downfall, which sucked, for the record), and the ending's kinda cute.

B-

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:27 am
Draughty

I was wrong...

Yes, I realize this takes up the whole screen. Enjoy the Jaye, people.

Up till now I'd thought your avatar was the teen in 3rd Rock from the Sun.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

What was with the whole Julianne Moore "deafing" Clive Owen thing? Did that make ANY sense?

If you mean the bit where she tells Owen the ringing in his ears is the sound of the ear cells dying, she's referring to the explosion he was near at the beginning of the film.

In other news, I hate you.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:03 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Okay, so, the first hour is crap. Unless you know what this movie's about before walking in, or pay attention to every little detail, you're gonna be lost.

Ummm perhaps if your hammered drunk or braindead. The whole thing is laid out in the opening 15 minutes with first the death of Diego and then Michael Caine's character basically laying the rest of the main story point out when he's talking to Theo in the woods.

Drinking before watching Torri! For Shame. :disgust:

Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:24 am
College Boy Z

Not that I didn't like it, though. I did. The story's intriguing and the direction is Oscar-worthy (the scene where Theo runs through the battlefield with the camera following him = brilliant camerawork), but the film, overall, is not A-quality. Clive Owen gave a solid performance, although I wasn't overly impressed with anyone in the cast. And I can see torri's point about getting a little confused on what's going on occasionally (I had to backtrack once or twice), but I understood it. It was just... unfulfilling. I can understand the praise for Alfonso Cuaron's direction (#2 to Scorcese on my list of Best Director's this year), but I don't get why it's so praised overall. Perhaps if it was a little longer and went into more detail on things, or maybe it just requires a second viewing to work better. I had a feeling that I'd be slightly disappointed after reading all the A+++ comments, but it's still one of the better films of the year. It just doesn't shoot itself onto my top 10 of this year, let alone of all-time.

B

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:55 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:19 pm
ef star star kay

Shouldn't it be Children of Women????

this movie is dumb

F-

Is this real?

Snrub, as the head of the club.. what would you say if I'm gonna watch this movie on my PC.. I don't know when will it be released here and I can't wait.. but I promise if it gets released here I'll see it again in theater (whether I like it or not)..

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:52 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

loyalfromlondon wrote:

this movie is dumb

F-

Is this real?

Snrub, as the head of the club.. what would you say if I'm gonna watch this movie on my PC.. I don't know when will it be released here and I can't wait.. but I promise if it gets released here I'll see it again in theater (whether I like it or not)..

Don't worry thats just bizarro-Loyal, Loyals evil twin who loves Clint movies, Paul Haggis and everything non dreamgirls.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:19 pm
Extraordinary

Ok, this is the worst place to ask a question like this, but which copy did you guys download? The 792MB or the 1.41GB one? If the film opens in Toronto in January, there is no way I will be able to watch it; until April, it's all school school school.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I downloaded the 698MB version from torrentspy, but I think it was taken off. It was DVD quality. I know the 792MB version is also DVD quality, though, so go with that.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:23 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

loyalfromlondon wrote:

this movie is dumb

F-

Is this real?

Well, ultimately it's up to you. But I quite like the power you're giving me, so...

Watch it on your PC. But do it naked. And eat a single spoonful of Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream every five minutes throughout. No more, no less. And transfer £1000 to my bank account.

Last edited by Snrub on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:00 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

From the poll above it seems a certain someone has no plans to see this film.

Following a careful elimination process, I have determined this person to be Archie Gates. Explain yourself Archie!!!

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:02 pm
ef star star kay

JURiNG wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

this movie is dumb

F-

Is this real?

Well, ultimately it's up to you. But I quite like the power you're giving me, so...

Watch it on your PC. But do it naked. And eat a single spoonful of Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream every five minutes throughout. No more, no less. And transfer £1000 to my bank account.

:lol:

Well, when I watch movie on my PC (in my room).. I was -usually- naked..

even if I wasn't, my b/f would help me out..

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next