Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Apocalypse Now 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Apocalypse Now 
College Boy Z

Post Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now

Quote:
Apocalypse Now is a 1979 American epic film set during the Vietnam War. The plot revolves around two US Army special operations officers, one of whom, Captain Benjamin L. Willard (Martin Sheen) of MACV-SOG, is sent into the jungle to assassinate the other, the rogue and presumably insane Colonel Walter E. Kurtz (Marlon Brando) of Special Forces.

The film was produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from a script by Coppola and John Milius. The script is based on Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness, and also draws elements from Michael Herr's Dispatches, the film version of Conrad's Lord Jim (which shares the same character of Marlow with Heart of Darkness), and Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972).

The film became notorious in the entertainment press due to its lengthy and troubled production, as documented in Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. Marlon Brando showed up to the set overweight and Martin Sheen suffered a heart attack. The production was also beset by extreme weather that destroyed several expensive sets. In addition, the release date of the film was delayed several times as Coppola struggled to come up with an ending and to edit the thousands of feet of footage that he had shot.

The film won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture and the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama. The film was also deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and selected for preservation by the National Film Registry in 2000.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:26 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Absolutely brilliant in it's direction. A fantastic piece of filmmaking, with symbolism galore and each scene is a touch on human nature and the psychology of the human mind. I am completely enthralled when I watch this film. The Redux version is a masterpiece. Cinematography is absolutely superb, with light and dark imagery a major force in this film. Acting is mighty impressive. People mention how a lot of the scenes are not realistic regarding a war/military standpoint, but that is the point. Most scenes are allegories, not meant to be taken and seen in a strictly realistic manner.

This all sounds like hyperbole, but I consider this one of the best film's ever created. It's probably in my top 10, top 5, films ever.

A+

PEACE, Mike.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:45 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

I actually prefer the original version to the Redux due to the latter dragging a lot during the Playboy bunnies scene. I very much enjoyed the scene at the French plantation.

The film has some of the most haunting and original music/sound that I have ever heard. The cinematography is also top notch. I recognize the brilliance that went into creating this film, but I'm not sure its as great as many people believe.

A-.

How they got away with the animal sacrifice scene, I might never know, but it was particulaly disturbing.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Maybe one of the best war movies ever. I dont know another war movie which show so many aspects of war (fighting, politic, emotion, destiny personal problems etc....)
My only problem with the movie is that it is sometimes maybe a bit too "artistic" and the end has a bit a "give Brando another big role" feeling to it.....but whatever when you see it the first time you nearly explode its so exciting.

BTW:Did you know that that badass named Kilgore is Robert Duvall????Well I was pretty mch surprised.

9/10

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:17 pm
Mod Team Leader

First of all let's get my beef out of the way. I know this is a really stupid reason to give a movie only 9.5 out of ten instead of the 10 that it deserves, but Marlon Brando bugs me. In this movie, he was on screen for no more than fifteen minutes. He was paid an exhorbitant amount of money and he was nothing but a problem on the set. He was constantly too high to do his lines by heart, he was so fat and out of shape that Coppola had to do his scenes in a different shade of light just to make him look plausible as a soldier. His attitude alone put the film over-budget and behind schedule and that bothers me. When one person thinks he is bigger than the collective whole, it takes away from the experience of watching the film. It was impossible for me to watch Brando on screen and not cringe. He was a disgrace to acting and to his profession and I am glad that he is no longer around Hollywood. Having said all that, I will now get to what is good about Apocalypse Now. And that is everything else.

This is certainly one of the best films ever made and it is so because of how dark it is and how realistic it feels. Martin Sheen is so brilliant that it is scary. And of course who can forget Robert Duval's performance. But what makes this film over the top and the classic that it is, is Coppola's attention to detail. The helicopters flying in the background, the explosions over the horizon, the unseen enemy lurking imminently in the darkness. This is the first war movie that I had seen that made me think I knew what the horrors of war were really about. With everything this movie stands for, it is a shame that it lost best director that year and it is really a tragedy that Kramer vs. Kramer beat it out for best picture. What a terrific film.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Wow, after Brando has already caused Coppola so much trouble, baumer punishes Francis Ford even more by refusing to give "Apocalypse Now" the perfect score, despite the tremendous amount of work and problems that the director had to do and deal with.

I give it an A.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:28 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Apocalypse Now
Greatest war film ever? You bet. Not just a harsh reflection on Vietnam, but also a dark descent into madness. It is both about Vietnam and not. The entire mission can be thought of as a journey into the deepest recesses of the human psyche. It gradually grows more and more nightmarish, as the boat passes the horrors of Vietnam, until it finally culminates in Kurtz - as wild and insane as humans can go. It's an allegorical masterpiece.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:02 pm
Sbil

Magnus wrote:
I highly recommend for everyone to read Heart of Darkness and then watch this movie. I mean, to me, this is what adapating screenplay is all about. Not a word-for-word translation, but taking the spirit and certain key moments in a book and translating into fim.

Agreed. I actually read Heart of Darkness last year for the first time.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:43 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Now they don't make movies like this anymore. No wonder Coppola has never made a good film ever again. You can tell he had a nervous breakdown during the film. But the end product is something truly magnificent. The acting is superb all around, and all the actors fall into their respected characters masterfully. Yes Brando is somewhat ridiculous, but at this point Brando new he was the greatest thing ever and knew how to deliver a fantastic performance. But the real standouts of course are Sheen and Duvall. I had never really seen such an old war movie that had brilliant visuals and realistic violence, and the score is really chilling. Theres not really much I can say, other than I though this was a fantastic film, and Im so pissed it took me so long to watch it. I'll be checking out the Redux version as soon as I have an afternoon.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 am
Devil's Advocate

Iiiiiiincredible. One of the best

Coppola is in god mode here, even moreso than in the Godfather films. The editing, lighting, cinematography, sound etc. is totally insane. I don't normally like using directing as a per-se individual attribute, but I think I can safely say Apocalypse Now is one of the "finest directed" films ever

It's also deep as shit thematically and on an intellectual scale, naturally. I agree with Magnus that it captures all of HOD's themes, despite the setting, plot, etc. being rather different.

probably the best war film or films ever

5/5

Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:11 am
Extraordinary

What can I say?

It's all that and more - - Apocalypse Now is a toweringly great film that should only be seen in the theatre.

(Though my vote for best war movie goes to The Deer Hunter.)

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am
Extraordinary

Heart of Darkness is the most fun book ever to read. Everyone should read it again and again.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
The film - 'Hearts of Darkness' - is fun, too.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:48 am
Profile WWW