Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 An Inconvenient Truth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

An Inconvenient Truth 
Extraordinary

Excellent presentation with persuasive facts, and Gore is charming. Very happy such a documentary is made. On the weak side, while I understand they don't want to just show one big Gore presentation, I do feel some of those diversions, such as showing 2000 election again, are not necessary. Similarly, I like a lot of the jokes, but not all fit into the topic at hand. Since the issue is presented in a straight-forward, scientific way and should be something everybody gets involved with, I'd have included less of the politically charged stuff.

B+

Do you really believe this movie would be an objectively better portrayal of the human impact on Earth if it were to be depersonalized?

Just askin'...

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:43 am
invading your spaces

I think what xiayun is trying to say is that people could potentially knee jerk against the film less if some of the current political stabs were removed from the movie. The less closed off to a Republican mindset, the more powerful it's could potentially be to them.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think what xiayun is trying to say is that people could potentially knee jerk against the film less if some of the current political stabs were removed from the movie. The less closed off to a Republican mindset, the more powerful it's could potentially be to them.

Yep, couldn't have said better myself. The pieces on Gore's personal life were great, for example, since it's relevant on how they shaped his current campaign.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Very enlightening documentary, presenting an effective argument, but the film itself isn't really that good. The presentation itself seems very well done, but the film falls short of it, attempting to interweave Gore's presentation with clips of his daily life. It never really accomplishes anything, and takes away from the power of the presentation. Because the film never really decides whether it wants to be a portrayal of Gore's crusade or a cinematic representation of his presentation, it ultimately falls short at both ends. It's disappointing, because the message is so important.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Extraordinary

I'm in agreement with xiayun on this one.

The segments on Gore's life felt very genuine, which, if you think about it, is very hard to do with regards to a politician (it reminds me of how the Edwards campaign recently deftly handled his wife's recurring cancer). More importantly, Gore's lecture is superb, and the presentation is fantastic.

But I wish the film would stick more closely to its message that ALL people, including Bush and his cronies, need to be talked to. I'm too realistic to realize that such scum will ever do the right thing. BUT, we're talking about this as a movie; well, as a movie, it would have been better and more true to its message if some of the jabs and commentary was disposed of.

Having said that, there are few films I would recommend as ardently as this one. It is so important to see this.

There were several moments were I felt I just wanted to cry. It's all so scary and sad.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Very good documentary. I thought it would be one big bore, not reading the reviews beforehand, but it turned out to be rather interesting. I liked how the movie as a whole was not preachy, it just stated the truth.

A-

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:18 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:53 pm
Commander and Chef

Post Re: An Inconvenient Truth
I saw about 30 minutes of this film.

I've heard a lot about the rest of the film ... but the need to sleep due to exhaustion and something that bored me to death was compelling enough to switch it off.

Wait a minute! Bored me to death!!!! Yes

Then how is it that watching less than a third of a film could still make an impact.

heres the thing. I know a lot more was discussed in the film later, including what people can do to rectify the situation. But Gore did not need convincing. he did a great job is using facts and figures of convincing me of his arguments. So the content itself was great.

But .... to judge it as a film ... is another thing. To me, this film is like a lot of other stuff out there. The message is clear, great (and in this case, because its non-fiction, has a greater impact). But the film itself fails to deliver as a 'film'. Does that make sense? To me, it was like sitting down and watching my course lecture online more than anything else.

Can't grade it ofcourse as I have to sit down and watch the whole thing one day.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BTW - - this week's Newsweek features a story on the global warming denial industry, called Global Warming is a Hoax* - - quite well done as far as mainstream media goes...

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:30 pm
Commander and Chef

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
BTW - - this week's Newsweek features a story on the global warming denial industry, called Global Warming is a Hoax* - - quite well done as far as mainstream media goes...

Interestng article.

I wanted you guys to go to this site started by a friend of mine who watched the film, did research using avaialble stats and built a calculator to measure your exact impact of indirect gas emmissions. It is quite a compelling site and hes still in the process of building and finishing it.

http://whatsyourimpact.co.nr/

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bABA wrote:
I wanted you guys to go to this site started by a friend of mine who watched the film, did research using avaialble stats and built a calculator to measure your exact impact of indirect gas emmissions. It is quite a compelling site and hes still in the process of building and finishing it.

http://whatsyourimpact.co.nr/" target="_blank

Aiiieee!!!

I made one small mistake and it cleared everything! As it was I had to make some wild-ass guesses without unfiling all my paperwork - - and especially odd was the first page with how many items you bought from China, etc. last year - - that's a difficult question for most people to answer, but it is surely way more than the max. of 10!

An admirable idea, but definitely needs some more work as you noted...

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:58 pm
Forum General

Re-watched this today with the sequel coming out soon. Still an incredibly powerful documentary, if not among the top tier in the actual film quality, the message and passion make up for it. A-

As for people wishing this was the Al Gore that ran for President in 2000, this is exactly what I saw in 2000 and why I voted for him. The only difference is the humor thrown in to keep the audience interested. When I look at candidates for President, I don't look for humor. What I saw was an intelligent, driven, passionate person who wanted to make a difference. And that's also what I see in this film. I can't help but wonder what our country would be like right now if from 2000-2008 Gore had been President instead of Bush.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3