Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Any Given Sunday 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Any Given Sunday 
College Boy Z

Post Any Given Sunday
Any Given Sunday

Quote:
Any Given Sunday is a 1999 American drama film directed by Oliver Stone depicting a fictional professional American football team. The film features an ensemble cast, consisting of Al Pacino, Cameron Diaz, Dennis Quaid, Jamie Foxx, James Woods, LL Cool J, Matthew Modine, John C. McGinley, Charlton Heston, Ann-Margret, Lauren Holly, Bill Bellamy, Lela Rochon, Aaron Eckhart, Elizabeth Berkley, Marty Wright, and legendary NFL players Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor.

The film also featured many American football players including Dick Butkus, Y.A. Tittle, Pat Toomay, Warren Moon, Johnny Unitas, Ricky Watters, Emmitt Smith and Terrell Owens as well as coach Barry Switzer.

Decent football flick, though nowhere close to what I expected. B-

Last edited by zingy on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:07 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Great movie, Jaime Foxx and Al Pacino turned in great roles and Stone once again showed how he is one of the finest directors....ever. However, I did not like the end that turned into a happy go luck ending where everyone held hands and had smiles at the end, shoul d have been some what sad, make it more realistic.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

I totally hate this flick. I was bored to hell with those flashy camera work. It seemed to me that Stone used all camera gimmicks to destract the viewer from the non-existent story. And by god, those tv insert screens and team logos were just awful, they looked like a fifth-grader made them. Stone just wanted to piss the NFL at their legs, but he never manages to get the impact like North Dallas 40 does. (D)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:18 pm
life begins now

It's a good movie, that does go a little over the top in places. They could've taken out a few scenes, but all invovled gave great performances.

B

Last edited by Chris on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:51 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I agree with the consensus. It's a decent footbal flick, but never rises above its "decency". The football scenes themseleves are well-staged, but the message the movie sends out (or at least tries to), has little impact and honestly, I never really cared for any of the characters.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Over-the-top and way too long. Cameron Diaz is great here, sinking her teeth into her role and actually managing to outperform Pacino, though. C+

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Any Given Sunday
Basically what everyone else has been saying. Overly flashy, overly melodramatic, and overly long. There's an interesting idea to be had in portraying a professional sports team from all angles, without any of those overdone sports movie cliches, but the film never really follows through on its promise. The football scenes themselves are riddled with those very same cliches (last-second comeback... c'mon!) and the behind-the-scenes stuff is never very interesting or intriguing. Well-acted, though, and it's more entertaining than most of the stuff you see in the NFL nowadays anyway, but still.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm
The Kramer

Good: Some of the best football scenes I’ve ever scene. Really captured an in-the-game feeling rather than just watching the game. It also has mostly compelling characters. And despite being 20 years old, its still relevant since the NFL suffers from the same issues to this day.

Bad: It starts to feel long at 90 minutes then goes on for another hour.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 am
Keeping it Light

I haven't seen this for ages, but agree with Optimus_Prime, pretty great. It's part of what got me really interested in the nfl in the early 2000's.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 am
now we know

I've had this and been meaning to watch this for months. Never seem to have enough time to watch it, but I really want to.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]