Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Underworld: Evolution 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

Underworld: Evolution 
Vagina Qwertyuiop

This film finally confirmed what I'd suspected for a long time. Bill Nighy is a terrible actor.

Overall, it was quite pants. I don't remember being bored, but I certainly won't watch it again. And yeah, to echo other posters thoughts, where was Speedman's penis in that sex scene?

D+

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:23 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

This film finally confirmed what I'd suspected for a long time. Bill Nighy is a terrible actor.

Overall, it was quite pants. I don't remember being bored, but I certainly won't watch it again. And yeah, to echo other posters thoughts, where was Speedman's penis in that sex scene?

D+

All I know is that whenever Snrub likes a movie I know I'll hate it (ie, LOTR)... and whenever he hates one, I'll like it (ie. UE). He's my polar opposite (I'm sexy, he's not)... it's like that movie Twins with Danny Devito (Snrub) and Arnie Shwarzenegger (me).

As for UE, I finally got around to seeing it yesterday. I found it to be an enjoyable movie that only a pompous baffoon would hate!

The first Underworld is one of my all time favorites, so I had high hopes for UE. I will say that while I enjoyed it, I did like the first one better - I enjoyed the storyline of the first one (the switching of bad guys to good, or blurring the lines) and for a villian, I prefer Bill Nighy's Victor to Marcus from UE. However, the sequel definitely had better action and special effects. But, it just didn't bring enough fresh stuff to the table to surpass the first one, IMO.

I give UE an A- (8.5 out of 10)

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:56 am
Teenage Dream

I'm seeing this tonight (finally).

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:59 pm
Teenage Dream

'Twas okay. It was better than the first, but that doesn't take much. I'll start with the negative... the direction is incredibly stale and uninspired. I mean, hasn't every "dark" action film since The Matrix looked EXACTLY like this? The action sequences are pretty boring for the most part. The acting is borderline terrible by almost the entire cast except Beckinsale. The plot is ridiculously complex and convoluted, espically for a film like this. On the plus side, the monsters are always fun when they're on screen (Marcus in Vampire form was great), the entire truck sequence is pretty cool, it's got plenty of gore to go around (loved the constant snapping heads in two thing Michael did), and... Beckinsale.

I'll give it a C. It's passable fluff for a month like January/February.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:50 pm
Teh Mexican

It is far better than the original, which I thought it was just OK (C+)

This one is great, very fun movie and the action near the end was fantastic!! :D

Kate Beckinsale couldnt look more beautiful

B+

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

B. Loved the first movie, but feel indifferent about the sequel. Entertaining fluff.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:53 am
Indiana Jones IV

great movie of 2006, i guess. excellent action, very gory of course. the plot was good enough for me. and yes the sex scene was pretty interesting. i was expecting to see some tits. but it didn't. well it still a great movie after all. i enjoy it pretty much. this will be the first movie i give an A in 2006.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:16 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lord of filth

I actually thought it was okay. Speedman (that's his name right?) didn't annoy me in this film and of course the reason why the Underworld movies exist is for the various fashions, and this film didn't disappoint. The werewolves weren't incredibly well realized (weren't last time either), but the film lost a little bit of the Romeo + Juliet angle from the last one. It didn't really delve more into his character though.

Scott dying then coming back for the finale was expected, and they hint to it the whole time so it doesn't so out of place, just entirely convienient.

Still, good action, better set pieces, excellent costumes, better cinematography (the truck fight was really well staged, lit and shot, in my opinion).

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I liked it well enough, but I had some problems with it. First off, the movie had way too much focus on the blood, and though I expected this, there were times where I thought they were more focused on earning every inch of the R-rating than they were on the story. Also, like the first one, it didn't really get its story acorss in the clearest way.

But on the other hand, I liked how they gave Selene more to do than just walk around killing everyone. On top of that, Markus was cool, and his death was one of the cooler parts of the movie.

Though I was a bit underwhelmed, I'm still looking forward to the third film. I thought the whole Selene being able to walk in the light thing was a good place to start when it comes to setting up what is supposed to be the franchise finale.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:29 pm
Homo Dperious

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:02 am
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

A disappointment and step down from the original, unfortunately.

The one word that strikes me as correct when thinking to describe this film, is tardy. In the first movie, there was a great job done of setting up the appropriately titled underworld, the relations and war between the vampires and werewolfs and the inner treachory that occured in the storyline. In the sequel, the Underworld universe plays second fiddle to what the directors must feel is a more important cause, Beckinsale and Speedman's characters having the urges to have bumpin' vampire sex. Other than the fact that this plot device is completley forced, it also comes off as meaningless to the story. If Beckinsale got pregnant with a hybrid baby, the whole thing would be a bad plot device, but at least it would have meant something.

Aside from that storyline which takes up about half the plot, the movie is also littered with plenty of other striking problems. A screenplay that is way too complex for it's own good, to the point where many things don't make sense and the script doesn't even try to explain them. If Marcus and William were the first vampires and werewolf, then who bit them? Or, did they become the first vampire and werewolf because they were twins born from Alexander, but if that's true, what was Alexander and his powers born from? The entire movie trys to set up how Marcus wants to release William, but it fails to tell us why, brotherly love? If William was that dangerous that he had to be that caged up, getting immediatley killed by a young hybrid's hands doesn't fit. At the end, Beckinsale steps out into the sun, meaning that the death of Marcus and William eliminated all vampire and werewolf genes. Yep, that's pretty much the dumbest plot device I've ever heard too. And the entire movie is hinged on that!

But the biggest problem remains how they disregard what is going on the underworld universe, they never show any of it. Everything they set up in the original movie, like the vampire vs werewolf war, the vampire community, the weapons, the reactions over the elders waking up, or the werewolfs themselves, don't even appear. Instead, they opt to focus on the two vampires and their humping, and the elder wanting his brother. The focus of the film is primarily on the two leads, and what takes up most of their time is the relationship between them, which is again just so forced and unnecessary. And for that reason, the movie is tardy.

Last edited by Shack on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:34 pm
The Original

A dissapointment. I thought the first one was ok. Not great but ok. Also when you think of the small budget. So I was hoping for big improvment in part 2. Well there wasnt one. You have some ok story a bit blood Kate in latex and some ok action. Just mediocre.

You know the whole story background is very interesting when you think about it but it hurts when you see what of it is finally (and especially how) in the movie. This could have been much more epic. To bad it isnt.
What I also do not understand is why to have a slow-motion every 2 minutes? WTF. Useless.
You watch the movie and then you forget it.
I still wait for a truly well made Vampire Triology.

6/10

BTW: Where was the penis of that guy in the sex scene.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

Definitely a disappointment in comparison to the first. What I loved about the original was the mythology of the story - the ongoing feud between the two species. While this one delved into the history of the mythology a lot, it forgot to incorporate it into the plot. There's absolutely nothing on the war that was the centrepoint of the first one - it's simply focused on the two leads and the villain. Not to mention that it moves far too quickly from one action scene to the next, without stopping to take a breath and let the characters interact in a way not using guns or blood. While that may make for an entertaining ride, it definitely doesn't have the great story that the first one had, nor the style, for that matter. A decent action flick, but that's it.

The action in this film is quite impressive, but it's not as stylish as in the first one. It's far too generic, although there are some cool sequences (the truck scene comes to mind, if only because Marcus flying alongside the truck looks really cool). The special effects I thought were actually a step down from the first one - the werewolves looked much more fake, and they seemed to go from human state to goblin (?) state before becoming full-blown wolves. It was kinda weird. Oh, and the gore. I usually don't have a problem with it, but it was way over-the-top in this film. It was like every death had to be as bloody as possible. It didn't bother me, I just found it unnecessary. And that sex scene - WTF was up with that? I won't even get started on that.

The story was kinda intriguing, with the twin brothers who started the war, but it didn't carry through into the present of the film - just remained in the past. I'm not sure why Marcus wanted to release his brother from the prison, if they were on opposite sides of the war. Nor why Selene's human father was commissioned to build the prison - just seemed like a cheap way to tie her character into the story more. There were many problems I had with the plot, and it just felt like lazy writing this time around. And I guess that ending means no more sequels? Can't say I'm disappointed, though a prequel exploring the history more could be cool - that Amelia chick needs to have more screentime. Overall, a decent action thriller but a disappointing sequel.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:44 am
Golfaholic

Utter Crap and even more confusing told than the first one. D- only because Beckinsal is nice to look at ;)

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:04 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Underworld: Evolution
Just saw it last night! Its not bad actually, but I hadn't seen the original so I was missing some details. I was informed in a rather poor fashion what they were orally, but I am sure had I recognized the characters I would have enjoyed it more. I say this because the characters and setting actually seemed to matter. This already made it a more complex movie than most action/fantasy series, and I was happy to get the verbal background. I enjoyed it none the less and am happy to see that a decent sense of space (and some really hot outfits!) were established.

It was a bit jumpy, however I am not sure if that was a consequence of not knowing the first installation at all. I would have like to see a little more smoothness and information about some of the characters, but it was a series.

Acting was quite decent and I got squeemish the first bloof-nurturing scene. It reminded me of nursing. This is vampire maternalism and inculcation, right? I really wondered what mothers feel when their babies suckle them. Probabaly hurts about that bad.

Anyways, I know everyone wanted to hear that, but that is what I thought. The fact I could even have this thought already elevated the movie above any action flick from recent years. My disclaimer is I haven't seen many of them, but the Narnia stuff certainly comes to mind.

Nice, and I stand on the border of recommending it with the belief I would be even more enthusiastic had I seen the first installation of the flick.

Oh yes, and hot outfits! I want!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2