Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sideways 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 17 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Sideways 
College Boy Z

Post Sideways
Sideways

Quote:
Sideways is a 2004 American comedy-drama film written by Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne and directed by Payne. Adapted from Rex Pickett's 2004 novel, Sideways follows two forty-something year old men, portrayed by Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church, who take a week-long road trip to the wine country of Santa Barbara. Payne and Taylor won multiple awards for their screenplay. Giamatti and Church, as well as actresses Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh, playing local women who become romantically involved with the men, all received accolades for their performances.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:43 pm
Sbil

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:51 pm
College Boy Z

Bump for bABA to see, and more people to grade.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

That's my fault, because I told him it wasn't here. I looked too, but I'm sick with a high fever and am juiced up on meds right now, so my head is a little foggy. I swear, I didn't see a thread for this, and even looked a second time. :oops:

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:58 pm
College Boy Z

Mav, it's no big deal. Remember for the future, though, that if you want a thread, check the Thread Archive to see if it's there. The lovely Dolcevita updates it frequently for all the members ease. Also, if it's not in there either, go to the "Request A Movie" Thread, and I'll make it for you without a doubt. :-)

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:01 pm
Site Owner

http://www.worldofkj.com/KJ-Sideways.php

Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Where will you be?

Another bump for MovieDude.

Thanks man :)

I loved it. Thankfully I prepared myself to be somewhat let down from all the lavish praise as I didn't think it looked that amazing. I don't know if I'd say it's the year's best movie, I'd rank it at #7 on my favorites of the year, behind Eternal Sunshine, Before Sunset, Spider-Man 2, Garden State, The Motorcycle Diaries, and Man on Fire (really debating to move this ahead of that, I want to let it sink in though first). Thomas Haden Church and Virginia Madsen were both terrific, I won't mind at all when they win there Oscars (and I bet they do). Sandra Oh did well for a part that really wasn't that huge, but Paul Giamatti... well, maybe it was the fact that he was playing the same character I've seen from him so much before, but he didn't blow my mind. He was good, yes, maybe even very good, but I felt that Church and Madsen both left him in the dust. The thing that surprised me about the movie the most though had to be how hard I was laughing at times. The comedy did get pretty damn raunchy (The wallet scene had me literally laughing out loud, something only three other movies in 2004 did for me), but I don't think it hurt the movie. The ending was really great with just that tiny hint of hope (though the first thing that happened when the screen went black was someone loudly sighing "Oh c'mon!"), though the one thing that bothered me was that someone like Mia (Mya?) could fall for a schlub like Miles. Maybe she could see beyond his negativity and cynicism, but it was the only thing I didn't buy, and honestly I wasn't a big fan of that pseudo-message about how even the most self hating loser can find a good woman. It's probably trivializing it and I really did love the movie, that just bothered me a tad. Overall, with such great performances, I'd rate Sideways as a borderline A/A-, leaning toward that A.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:54 am
Sbil

Zingaling wrote:

I loved it. Thankfully I prepared myself to be somewhat let down from all the lavish praise as I didn't think it looked that amazing. I don't know if I'd say it's the year's best movie, I'd rank it at #7 on my favorites of the year, behind Eternal Sunshine, Before Sunset, Spider-Man 2, Garden State, The Motorcycle Diaries, and Man on Fire (really debating to move this ahead of that, I want to let it sink in though first). Thomas Haden Church and Virginia Madsen were both terrific, I won't mind at all when they win there Oscars (and I bet they do). Sandra Oh did well for a part that really wasn't that huge, but Paul Giamatti... well, maybe it was the fact that he was playing the same character I've seen from him so much before, but he didn't blow my mind. He was good, yes, maybe even very good, but I felt that Church and Madsen both left him in the dust. The thing that surprised me about the movie the most though had to be how hard I was laughing at times. The comedy did get pretty damn raunchy (The wallet scene had me literally laughing out loud, something only three other movies in 2004 did for me), but I don't think it hurt the movie. The ending was really great with just that tiny hint of hope (though the first thing that happened when the screen went black was someone loudly sighing "Oh c'mon!"), though the one thing that bothered me was that someone like Mia (Mya?) could fall for a schlub like Miles. Maybe she could see beyond his negativity and cynicism, but it was the only thing I didn't buy, and honestly I wasn't a big fan of that pseudo-message about how even the most self hating loser can find a good woman. It's probably trivializing it and I really did love the movie, that just bothered me a tad. Overall, with such great performances, I'd rate Sideways as a borderline A/A-, leaning toward that A.

Maya :wink:

Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:50 pm
New Server, Same X

MovieDude wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

:roll: Geez, way to be such a nitpicker. Gosh, Libs!! :mad:

:wink: Just kidding, Libs. I'm only teasing. I'm in a teasing kind of mood. Anyway, I hope to see this film soon, especially after a few Golden Globe wins last night. Oh, and note to anyone who likes Paul Giamatti: he hosts SNL this week.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:01 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

There ya go! :) And Libs, just to get a female perspective, do you think my thing with Maya falling for Miles seemed a bit... out there, or was it just me?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:30 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

It was a good movie, but like Shakespeare in Love, A Beautiful Mind, Mystic River and probably this year's Oscar winner, Million Dollar baby, a good script and great acting does not mean best picture of the year.

Sideways was not any better than other indie films out there. I'm not really sure why certain ones get the attention they do while others dont.

Now, remember, i thught the movie was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But the best picture buzz it's got going for it is totally out of left field. I'm with ebert this year. the blockbusters is where the best film of the year should be (this year anyways)

When I think best picture, I look for the following:

- can the movie be watched over and over?
- was the script good?
- was the acting good?
- did the film have a special vision?
- will be talking about this film years from now?

It was good, but not memorable.

:-#

Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:54 pm
Hot Fuss

I really, really liked it. I definetaly think it's worthy of an Oscar or two...

B+/A-

Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Oh, and totally unfair that Paul G. didn't get an Oscar nod for this. Blasphemy!

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

It's finally coming out here in a week or two. I am definitely seeing it as soon as possible.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I'll be seeing this film within the next week. I hope it's as good as people say it is.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:52 pm
Sbil

I'll be seeing this film within the next week. I hope it's as good as people say it is.

Being both the gender and age you are, it wouldn't surprise me if you relate to it.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:57 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:

Being both the gender and age you are, it wouldn't surprise me if you relate to it.

I just related to the story of an old man and a girl too. :razz:

Is this a really sad movie, and did you cry if it was? Did you cry at M$B? My mom and her husband went to see that on my recommendation today, and my mom cired. (she's such a girl :roll: :lol: )

Looking forward to Sideways, more than the other nomiated movies that I haven't seen yet.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:20 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:
Maverikk wrote:

I just related to the story of an old man and a girl too. :razz:

Is this a really sad movie, and did you cry if it was? Did you cry at M$B? My mom and her husband went to see that on my recommendation today, and my mom cired. (she's such a girl :roll: :lol: )

Looking forward to Sideways, more than the other nomiated movies that I haven't seen yet.

Sideways, to me, was somewhat bleak but not exactly sad.

I teared up at M$B but I didn't actually cry.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:27 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Why do you suppose that nobody is really talking about this one? It seems like it's kinda getting lost in the shuffle, at least online. Is it because it's more somber in tone, and not really thought provoking "good" as much as it is story and character "good"? Why is this your pick for the best picture this year. What makes it tip the scale to it's favor, considering how much you like M$B?

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:44 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

Why do you suppose that nobody is really talking about this one? It seems like it's kinda getting lost in the shuffle, at least online. Is it because it's more somber in tone, and not really thought provoking "good" as much as it is story and character "good"? Why is this your pick for the best picture this year. What makes it tip the scale to it's favor, considering how much you like M$B?

Well, when I said "bleak", I didn't really mean it was somber. By all respects, Sideways is a comedy. It's getting lost in the shuffle because it's a small movie driven by characters. The Aviator is an epic and Million Dollar Baby is an emotional knockout. I found Sideways quietly stunning. The film contains more genuine truth, vulnerability and emotional honesty than any other movie that I've seen in years.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:49 pm
I cried more in Sideways than I did in Million Dollar Baby.

Not that one is sadder than the other (doesn't get much sadder than Million Dollar Baby), just Sideways is more relatable and human, whereas Million Dollar Baby is more glossy.

What Miles was going through hit me harder than Frankie or Maggie because Miles' story is well, more likely. This is, to me anyway.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:56 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Well, when I said "bleak", I didn't really mean it was somber. By all respects, Sideways is a comedy. It's getting lost in the shuffle because it's a small movie driven by characters. The Aviator is an epic and Million Dollar Baby is an emotional knockout. I found Sideways quietly stunning. The film contains more genuine truth, vulnerability and emotional honesty than any other movie that I've seen in years.

It sounds like a worthy film for awards nominations, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, and you'll have at least one person that will try to get others here to see it if I like it a lot, but it's going to have to be something special for me to agree with you that it's better than M$B is. I kinda hope it is, just so I'd be in for a great surprise.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:03 am
Award Winning Bastard

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:52 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I got to see Sideways in an absolute perfect setting today, as I was the only one in the theater. I did get to see a movie once where it was me and my girlfriend, and nobody else (Godzilla), but this was the first time I've ever had the big screen to myself, and it was kinda cool. Almost felt like a private screening.

Sideways is a very enjoyable film, and I was actually surprised at how easily it took me to a comfort zone. I became very interested in the characters, and found myself rooting for Miles, even though Jack was far and away my favorite of the two. I didn't agree with Jack's cheating ways and cavalier attitude toward his commited relationship with his fiance, Christine (I think that was her name), but he was the most enjoyable character of the group, and the beating he took had me rolling. Great performances by Paul Giamatti and especially Thomas Hayden Church. (Who knew Lowell had it in him?)

Virginia Madsen was also very good. Does she remind anybody else a little bit (or a lot) of Sharon Stone in the looks department? I was very happy to hear the phone call from her, especially since Miles' ex decided to say hi to him at Jack's wedding, and rub a little salt in the wounds as she smiled while telling his broken heart that she was pregnant. That was just information that Miles really didn't need to know, so it was pretty cold of her to do that to him.

The direction had a couple of key moments that were well done, such as a few of the driving scenes, as well as the best use of split screen editing I've seen since the Hulk. I always enjoy those when well done. I also liked the out of focus camera tricks that were used to convey that Miles was drunk. Very effective!

To tell you the truth, I would have preferred Virginia Madsen to have been nude instead of the full frontal shots that we got of that waitress' husband as he chased Miles out of his house and to his car, but that was the funniest scene of the movie, and probably my favorite part.

Sideways isn't as good as Million Dollar Baby, few films are, but it is an enjoyable 2+ hours of engaging characters and performances, and I'm glad that I saw it.

A-

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next