Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 War of the Worlds (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 59 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 33 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 109

War of the Worlds (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post War of the Worlds (2005)
War of the Worlds

Quote:
War of the Worlds is a 2005 American science fiction film adaptation of H. G. Wells' novel of the same name, directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Josh Friedman and David Koepp. It is one of three film adaptations of War of the Worlds released that year, alongside The Asylum's version and Pendragon Pictures' version. It stars Tom Cruise as Ray Ferrier, a divorced dock worker estranged from his children and living separately from them. As his ex-wife drops their children off for him to look after for a few days, Earth is invaded by aliens (loosely based on H. G. Wells' Martians) driving Tripods and the earth's armies are defeated, and Ray tries to protect his children and flee to Boston to rejoin his ex-wife.

War of the Worlds marks Spielberg and Cruise's second collaboration, after the 2002 film Minority Report. The film was shot in 73 days, using five different sound stages as well as locations at Connecticut, Staten Island, California, Virginia, and New Jersey. The film was surrounded by a secrecy campaign so few details would be leaked before its release. Tie-in promotions were made with several companies, including Hitachi. The film was released in United States on 29 June and in United Kingdom on 1 July. The film generally received positive reviews, and attained a 73 percent "fresh" rating on the film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, based on 240 reviews. War of the Worlds was also a box office success, and was 2005's fourth most successful film both domestically, with $234 million in North America, and worldwide, with $591 million overall.

Last edited by zingy on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:35 am
Extraordinary

See my comments in the thread in Cinemania.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9981

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I would like to see the people who gave it an A nad the person who gave it an F give their opinion here.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

C.

See my comments in the thread in Cinemania.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9981

what page are they on

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I give that movie an B+. It's pretty much exactly to Independence day without an explanation of why the aliens came here or what is in their ships or i really don't know. I was hoping for an explanation. The F/X were great and the movie was going strong till the last 5 minutes. How the hell did Robbie survive? Maybe i'll just have to read the book to get an explanation but overall its a pretty good movie.

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder - BUY THE BOOK NOW!!! On New York Times Best Seller List 9 Weeks in a Row

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I screened this last night and its an amazing movie. I was very surprised at how dark this movie is. Many scenes come across as horror and the nice thing about that is the execution of those scenes. They are flawless. The screems/roars that the alien walkers give out runble through the theater and sent chills up my spine for many of the scenes. The action is non stop and the acting doesn't get much better than this. Cruise and Fanning have many wonderful scenes together especially towards the end when there relationship seems to change and Cruise seems more like a father and not some ass hole like he is in the beginning. Also, the action scenes/CGI shots are some of the best I have ever seen. I can't tell whats fake or whats real. The alien walkers are one of the scariest things done in movies up to this point, in my opinion. A+ from me.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:44 pm
Mod Team Leader

I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand it was about the best film I have seen in years for the first 2/3 of the film. Then Tim Robbins shows up and it just lost all of it's momentum and then the end just didn't quite do it for me. I realize this is the way that Wells wrote it, but there just wasn't enough explanation as to what brought them down. It's unfortunate that the film slows down near the end because the first 2/3 of the film is extraordinary. I have full respect for Spielberg as some of the images are indeed hauntinly indelible. But to have it end the way it did...like I said, it's unfortunate.

Spielberg and writer Koepp pull no punches here as people are killed and there is no discrimination in who is killed. Boys, men, women and children are all part of the slaughter and when the action starts, it doesn't let up for about an hour. I am giving this film a similar grade to what I gave Jurassic Park, that being a 7.5/10 or a B+. It could have been so much more but still, a great ride while it lasted.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

And if the aliens need humans to harvest their weird red plants, why were they vaporizing crowds when the tripods come to the surface? Further, the tripods rise out of the ground maybe ten minutes after the lightning strikes. Early in the movie Dakota Fanning watches a news report talking about lightning strikes in Europe and Asia, hours earlier. Did the press conveniently leave out the giant robots that were killing people?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:17 pm
Mod Team Leader

B-.

And if the aliens need humans to harvest their weird red plants, why were they vaporizing crowds when the tripods come to the surface? Further, the tripods rise out of the ground maybe ten minutes after the lightning strikes. Early in the movie Dakota Fanning watches a news report talking about lightning strikes in Europe and Asia, hours earlier. Did the press conveniently leave out the giant robots that were killing people?

Maybe they were coordinating their attacks. Or, as the newscaster says at Tim's house, after the attacks start, then there is no more footage of anything. I had no problem with that part, I think you are nitpicking things like that, but it does take a nosedive at the end.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Oh, I wasn't trying to nit-pick. It's stuff that just hit me. Doesn't make me like the movie any less.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It seem the movie is all about human relationships with some cuts to show alien stuff. However the human relationships are not well done, they didn't move me. I didn't care for any of the characters.

What WAS well done however was a rarely-discussed aspect in disaster films: the danger that represents a mass in panic.

I won't recommend it to anyone and I won't go see it again.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Not the classic it could and should have been, considering the talent involved, but still good. The ending hurt the overall movie for me.

B

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:40 pm
Mod Team Leader

The first hour blew me away. But then as soon as Tim Robbins shows up, it just lagged.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

hmm ... i'm reading these reviews and i'm getting some vibe. maybe you guys can help me out.

The grades you all are giving seem good ... B and above ... yet i'm detecting disappointment? Is it safe to say that most of you considered it a good movie but didn't live up to the expectations that one was lead to believe? Thanks.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

hmm ... i'm reading these reviews and i'm getting some vibe. maybe you guys can help me out.

The grades you all are giving seem good ... B and above ... yet i'm detecting disappointment? Is it safe to say that most of you considered it a good movie but didn't live up to the expectations that one was lead to believe? Thanks.

For me, the first hour of the film was so extraordinary, that it would be impossible to give it anything less than a B. The edning was disappointing but not to the point where it takes away all of the other good things about the film. It could have been longer, and maybe kept up the pace of the first hour, but it didn,'t and that is what takes it down from a 9/10 to a 7.5.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

The movie is dissapointing, that much is true.

The problem with this film ... lets see if I can put a finger on it.

It is very much a popcorn film, much like how in Jurrasic Park we feast our eyes on dinasours, here we get aliens. It is a summer blockbuster by every standard, but it is also a dark movie. We are really given no characters to care for.

The film centers around Cruise, but they essentially tell us he is to be hated. We are never told or shown what Cruise did to these kids, but we are made to assume it was something awful. His son hates him, and his daughter tolerates him. The relationships left me wondering where all the hatred and angst came from. He risks his life, does everything to save them, and they constantly disobey him, never really forgving him for whatever he did.

Because the film centers around this character (Cruise) who we can't understand. We go searching elsewhere for who we are supposed to care for. Certainly not the boy, who is just moronicly stupid and misguided. Dakota's character is simply to annoying to be cared for, and we are left with noone.

Now we are left to take in the effects, and wonder if the world will survive.

We see the aliens doing random things, that are vaguely explained, but never delved into the way they should be. To much of the story is just that ... vauge.

I understand speilbergs desire to focus the story on the family, and leave us feeling as they do ... confused ... but if your going to do that ... give us a freaking likeable character to pay attention to.

The movie was very underwhelming, and rather dissapointing.

People say the ending was the bad part of the movie, I was just happy to see it end.

C+

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

This is nowhere near as good as Independence Day. There is no sense of joy that the aliens are defeated, because it's too poorly executed to celebrate. I gave it a B because I love the subject matter, and there was good stuff throughout, but there was also bad stuff. For instance, it wasn't too bad that Cruise just happened to get lucky and find the only car in the world that wasn't a military vehicle that would still run, but it was dumb that he also found one that didn't require gasoline, no matter how far he traveled. What the hell was that about? Sloppy stuff like that isn't my bag, and Spielberg is better than that.

The ending was pretty lame and anticlimatic. I would say that my fears about this film being rushed so they could make the July 4th date were confirmed.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:42 pm
Site Owner

I agree on the gas part, was completly stupid.

Oh and someone else had to find the people getting zapped by those lasers to be as funny as I did. I was stiffiling a giggle the entire time, it was so freaking stupid.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I agree on the gas part, was completly stupid.

Oh and someone else had to find the people getting zapped by those lasers to be as funny as I did. I was stiffiling a giggle the entire time, it was so freaking stupid.

I was enjoying the people getting zapped, and I don't think I should have been. It should have been a thing of horror, but it was like something out of a 50's B movie, which may have been what Spielberg intended.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:52 pm
Site Owner

Exactly ... it was the corniest damn thing ... I was totally not ready for it.

If they had shown someone get zapped in the trailer ... oh man coulda saved me 6.50.

The more think about it, the more I despise this movie.

Ah well, turn my expectations to the 1-2-3 punch of HP, Narnia, and Kong. At least 1 of them should be good.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:00 pm
Site Owner

I may, but to be honest ... I tend to not enjoy the pure popcorn films as much. i enjoy depth which is why I loved Spiderman and adore Batman.

Fantastic 4 will do great at the BO I am sure (maybe not 60m great but good enough), it just doesn't really appeal to me.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I found the film to be very 50's Roger Corman camp, with massive SFX. The pods were something you would see McFly reading in Back to the Future. The zapping was very retro and I think that was intentional. At the point where they found the car and the gas issue, it didn't bother me because at that point I was into the film that I didn't pay attention to shit like that. But once things starting going downhill, everything began to bother me. It was rushed at the end and they could have used another 30 minutes to make it more intriguing.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

I just got back from seeing it, and what has been said above is pretty much the truth for me. It was a fun ride, but a disappointing one. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be about three months ago. The first hour was amazing, but then it just went progressively down hill from there.

Nothing new is displayed in this movie, and really, the plot is just "OH NOES, RUN!!!" I'm disappointed with you, Steven.

And damn did Dakota annoy me. First time I've ever been annoyed by her. :cry:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:27 pm
Award Winning Bastard

"OH NOES, RUN!!!"

Some of it was that, and some of it was "OH NO, WALK OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OPEN AREA WITH A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE SO WE ARE ALL EASY TARGETS!!"

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 299 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next