Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Amityville Horror (1979) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

The Amityville Horror (1979) 
College Boy Z

Post The Amityville Horror (1979)
The Amityville Horror

Quote:
The Amityville Horror is a 1979 American horror film based on the bestselling 1977 novel of the same name by Jay Anson. It is the first movie in the Amityville Horror franchise.

The story is based on the alleged real-life experiences of the Lutz family who buy a new home on 112 Ocean Avenue, Long Island, a house where a mass murder had been committed the year before. After the family move into the house, they experience a series of frightening paranormal events. These events have been the subject of much controversy.

I've never seen it, but I heard it was absolutely terrible.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:22 pm
Teh Mexican

i saw it for the first time, like a month ago, and it was terribly slow and boring, i didnt like it that much

C

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:44 pm
Sbil

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:27 pm
Forum General

8/10 (B+) ... though I don't remember much about it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

When Haunted Houses are done right, they are down right scary. When they are special effects laden, the suck. Amityville Horror is done right. This film has lots of atmosphere and the dark hallways, creepy voices and strange happenings make it quite chilling. The camera work is very well done too. Although I have to admit that I would agree with Eddie Murphy when he did his standup routine about this film. I would have been out of there as soon as the blood came out of the taps. I have seen too many horror films by now and that would just be a dead give away.

Brolin and Kidder are good in their roles. Brolin slowly disintegrates into madness and it is his metamorphisis that is key to the film. We change along with him as he discovers all the nasty things about the house. The house has a personality of its own and it should be one the stars of the movie.

Amittyville Horror is very creepy and it should be seen again after all these years. From voices, to bugs, to "Judy" to madness, this film does an excellent job of spooking us all out.

One of the better 70's style horror films.

8.5/10

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:58 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

When Haunted Houses are done right, they are down right scary. When they are special effects laden, the suck. Amityville Horror is done right. This film has lots of atmosphere and the dark hallways, creepy voices and strange happenings make it quite chilling. The camera work is very well done too. Although I have to admit that I would agree with Eddie Murphy when he did his standup routine about this film. I would have been out of there as soon as the blood came out of the taps. I have seen too many horror films by now and that would just be a dead give away.

Brolin and Kidder are good in their roles. Brolin slowly disintegrates into madness and it is his metamorphisis that is key to the film. We change along with him as he discovers all the nasty things about the house. The house has a personality of its own and it should be one the stars of the movie.

Amittyville Horror is very creepy and it should be seen again after all these years. From voices, to bugs, to "Judy" to madness, this film does an excellent job of spooking us all out.

One of the better 70's style horror films.

8.5/10

I gave this a grade of "B+" and the thing of it is, is that back in the 70's, they didn't have to rely on an overabundance of gore to put it over, but like you said, it was the atmosphere and the things you didn't see plus your imagination that scared you.. In today's Gameboy Generation market, this would not be acceptable and I can see why the teens today found it boring.. Michael Bay made sure that the remake had it's damn fair share of gore, but also in a sense, he did jazz up the scare and excitement level over the original to appeal to the teen market.. I guess when all is said and done, there will be some things that are better in the original over the remake and some things better in the remake over the original.. They'll both cancel one another out, but the remake is the best I've seen in a really long time and it's really rare for me to see a movie more than once, much less a horror movie.. The only other movie I saw more than once was WHITE NOISE which I thought was excellent because of the subject matter..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I heard this was utter crap. That is why i am hesitating in seeing the remake especially after it plunged from 100% to 28% at RT.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:14 pm
College Boy Z

I heard this was utter crap. That is why i am hesitating in seeing the remake especially after it plunged from 100% to 28% at RT.

Um, just because it "plunged" from 100% to 28%, doesn't make it crap.

It just shows that the first reviews were very positive, but then the rest came, and most were negative. Nothing more.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:15 pm
Teenage Dream

Spider-Man wrote:

It just shows that the first reviews were very positive, but then the rest came, and most were negative. Nothing more.

I will give this a chance on DVD, but i meant to say i was hesitating on seeing it in theaters.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:18 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

I will give this a chance on DVD, but i meant to say i was hesitating on seeing it in theaters.

I don't see how reviews can discourage anyone. We're in the Scooby Doo thread, and that recieved a 26%.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:27 pm
Teenage Dream

Spider-Man wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

I don't see how reviews can discourage anyone. We're in the Scooby Doo thread, and that recieved a 26%.

I just want to wait for DVD for this movie.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:46 pm
Forum General

F

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:49 pm
College Boy T

Of all the original horror movies from the 70s and 80s that have somehow stayed in DVD rental shops, Amityville is the worst. It can't decide whether it wants to play up the possibility of the possesed house or whether it wants to act as a movie couples can cuddle up in terror to. The combination doesn't work. It's not scary and it didn't convince me that the house could've been haunted, either. Brolin was pretty bad, too.

If there were such thng as an F plus, I'd give it to this movie. But, alas, I'll go with the D-, even though there's nothing redeeming about it other than experiencing a bite of history.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:54 pm
Forum General

Watched it last night and my 8/10 (B+) rating stays!

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

...Why (I wanna say How, but I've gotta be tolerant, eh?) did you like it? A little reason would be nice, heh.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:03 pm
Forum General

movies35 wrote:

...Why (I wanna say How, but I've gotta be tolerant, eh?) did you like it? A little reason would be nice, heh.

Unlike the remake, the original AMITYVILLE wasn't a "fun" movie to watch. Yes, parts of it were slow but it was still a good movie. I'd compare it to THE SHINING in terms of style.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I blind bought this the other day but have yet to watch it. After seeing and loving the remake, my interest has definitely increased.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Spider-Man wrote:

The reviews for the remake suggest that you either love this movie or hate it and the one's that's hated it after reading their reviews suggest they wanted a 100% spot on accurate to the novel type of movie with no embellishments and when reality sets in, that's impossible to achieve.. Even the TCM remake was drastically different from the original movie, even The SHINING or The EXORCIST were far different than the novels.. Interestingly enough, I'd like to go back and take a look at the reviews for those movies and see if they were torn apart like the Purists for the Amityville story did this.. Hmmm.. :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:38 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Zingaling wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

The reviews for the remake suggest that you either love this movie or hate it and the one's that's hated it after reading their reviews suggest they wanted a 100% spot on accurate to the novel type of movie with no embellishments and when reality sets in, that's impossible to achieve.. Even the TCM remake was drastically different from the original movie, even The SHINING or The EXORCIST were far different than the novels.. Interestingly enough, I'd like to go back and take a look at the reviews for those movies and see if they were torn apart like the Purists for the Amityville story did this.. Hmmm.. :-k

I thought The Exorcist was a laughable movie (I haven't read the novel) and The Shining was okay, but I was very disappointed by its departure from the novel.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]