Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Saturday Numbers from SBD 
You must have big rats

All three of you right (Libs, roid & Dr. L)

Ferrell is a good and reliable box office performer. But he is no Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler and Mike Myers.

Mike Myers, as roid mentioned is underappreciated. He has 2-100M and 2-200M live action movies. If you include Shrek movies, he would be the number one comedic actor.

Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler he is not, I agree.

But Mike Myers is not a good comparison. Wayne's World was the first movie in his career, so you can't really tell his drawing power from that.

As for Shrek, I doubt people went to see the movies because of him.

As for Austin Powers, it's like saying that Pierce Brosnan is a huge draw because he plays James Bond. Yes, Myers is successful with the Austin Powers character, but that doesn't tell us about how big he is.

Cat in the Hat...that would be the only really reliable movie to tell if he's a draw or not...but unfortunately, you can't even see his face during the entire flick and it is based on a novel by Dr. Suess (which was How The Grinch Stole Christmas) as well and that broke $260 million) and was therefore, considering the release date and all, a certified hit beforehand and even then it turned out to be a disappointment.

Ergo, it's hard to tell if Myers is a draw or not. He needs to make a movie like Kicking and Screaming or Anchorman, where he completely carries the mvie by himself, not relying on some popular character.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

For what it's worth, I see Farrell as more like a Bill Murray career arc. Murray had a smattering of middling hits in the early 80s, one big hit later with Ghostbusters, then a long dry spell, resurfacing now and then like with Groundhog Day. He's considered a legend now so don't think I'm relegating Farrell to obscurity if he goes that direction.

Last edited by A. G. on Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

While that's true, Lecter, Myers is the one who made Austin Powers popular. I think he can be considered a draw for that.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:24 pm
You must have big rats

While that's true, Lecter, Myers is the one who made Austin Powers popular. I think he can be considered a draw for that.

Well, Austin Powers movies wouldn't be successful with another actor starring in them, that is true. But what I am talking about is the power to be able to draw people to all kinds of movies he's in. I don't say he can't do that. I am just saying that there is no proof yet for that. He needs some completely stand-alone flick.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Zingaling wrote:

Well, Austin Powers movies wouldn't be successful with another actor starring in them, that is true. But what I am talking about is the power to be able to draw people to all kinds of movies he's in. I don't say he can't do that. I am just saying that there is no proof yet for that. He needs some completely stand-alone flick.

Myers could be since he was the one who created the Austin Power and Wayne & Garth characters. I think he has a good knack for creating characters and I do believe that he has that Dieter character Sprockets that he usede to do in his SNL skits in work. The Dieter character is based on you germans, Dr Lector :wink:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:32 pm
Wallflower

Mike wrote:
Poor Bewitched. I hope the numbers are wrong.

You liked it?

I actually haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping it would do better than it did. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. It looks cute and Nicole looks adorable in it.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:38 pm
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:

You liked it?

I actually haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping it would do better than it did. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. It looks cute and Nicole looks adorable in it.

Interesting. :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:39 pm
Wallflower

Mike wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:

You liked it?

What's interesting about that? It did disappointing, I was predicting 30 Million, so I don't see why I can't find it disappointing.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:47 pm
Sbil

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:

You liked it?

What's interesting about that? It did disappointing, I was predicting 30 Million, so I don't see why I can't find it disappointing.

I think he's just trying to brace you for the fact that it wasn't that good.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:48 pm
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:

You liked it?

No, not that.

I found it interesting that you're sure you'll enjoy it. I'm rarely that convinced. I'll want to see a film like Magnolia because I loved Boogie Nights. But I wouldn't make the call that I'd enjoy it before hand.

EDIT: What Libs said too. :wink:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:51 pm
Wallflower

Oh ok. But still, you must get some idea of what you'll think of something before seeing it? I usually have a good idea from trailers and TV spots. I don't think I could not have an idea of whether or not I'd like something before seeing it. I don't think I'll love it, I just think I'll enjoy it though. I see it being somewhere in the 7/10 (B- or B) range.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:12 pm
Oh ok. But still, you must get some idea of what you'll think of something before seeing it? I usually have a good idea from trailers and TV spots. I don't think I could not have an idea of whether or not I'd like something before seeing it. I don't think I'll love it, I just think I'll enjoy it though. I see it being somewhere in the 7/10 (B- or B) range.

I have a basic idea. Just can't call it. I had no reason to think I'd like Spider-Man 2 any more than the first one (which I disliked). The trailers weren't really cut any differently. But I loved it.

Good luck with that B/B- :shock: :wink:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:22 pm
Angels & Demons

El_Masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:

Well, with Bewitched it will have his 4th $20+ million opner in a row (5th, if you count Starsky & Hutch), so that's not really bad...

Uh no, Farrell's movie before Kicking and Screaming made a little over 3 million total.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Well, with Bewitched it will have his 4th $20+ million opner in a row (5th, if you count Starsky & Hutch), so that's not really bad...

Uh no, Farrell's movie before Kicking and Screaming made a little over 3 million total.

You can't count Melinda and Melinda, really. When was the last time a Woody Allen movie made over $25M? Hannah and Her Sisters?

Also, it wasn't billed as being a Will Ferrell film, and was never released wide.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:26 pm
Forum General

Chuckster wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

You can't count Melinda and Melinda, really. When was the last time a Woody Allen movie made over $25M? Hannah and Her Sisters?

Also, it wasn't billed as being a Will Ferrell film, and was never released wide.

Definetely agree with you there. If you wanted to count it then you'd need to have all of his films released wide for it to actually count.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW