Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What if JAWS was released today? 

How much would JAWS make if released today?
More than 400 mill 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
300 mill + 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
250-299 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
200-249 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
100-200 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
less than 100 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17

What if JAWS was released today? 
Wall-E

Of course because Jaws set the standard for summer blockbusters, if we remove it from 1975 we can't be sure of what the box office standards would have been since.

Actually, the promotional approach building up to the release of Jaws is predated by similar handling of The Godfather. A book that was a best seller, articles and reports from the set during production and conflicts.
The only difference is that Godfather was released in November, 1971.

I personally wanted to see Jaws reissued to the theaters, but the studios gave us a DVD upgrade instead. Maybe there's still room for an IMAX release?

As for Bruce, I wouldn't mind adding a metallic hook reflection to the inner edge of the pupils, though that effect may only apply to the much smaller Lemon Shark, in which case never mind, and a inverse eyelid that closes upward from the bottom of the eye when the jaws clamp shut on a bite, and this feature would be factual to the Great White, hence the phrase, "the eyes of the shark went white (on the bite)". It refers to the shark's inverse eyelids and a concurrent rolling-up of the eyes due to the pressure of the bite.

But not more than a couple of slight upgrades to that button eye look, and no changes otherwise.
The main star of Jaws is still the camera putting the viewer in the place of the shark for most of the picture, as well as the realism of most of the characters, production, editing and cinematography. That is technique.
No candy-ass cinematography in this Spielberg gem, though I wish I could say the same about a few of his other films (Jurassic Park *cough*. The t.v. shot zooming in on the kid in the window still sticks in my mind).
I'm also hoping War of the Worlds will be a return to Spielberg (Jaws) basics.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:
Star Wars wrote:
jb007 wrote:
Nazgul9 wrote:
jb007 wrote:
Since this is the originator of the Summer Blockbuster and a trendsetter, besides being a fantastic movie, with similar conditions of 1975, it would make over 600M easily.

But obviously there aren't similar conditions today, so it would have been a hit (~200m), no doubt about that, but a far cry from a phenomenon.

The conditions that exist today is the result of Jaws and Star Wars. The landscape would be entirely different if they had not been made at all.

Let's say if they could compensate Jaws with just STAR WARS, and Jaws wasn't released. Think Jaws would be popular today?

Absolutely. Remember that Jurassic Park, 18 years after Jaws, was a mega blockbuster and was the number 1 movie worldwide till Titanic.

Yeah but Jurassic Park is a little different because it was more "new" and we've seen all these creature-features and Jaws wouldn't exactly be a phenomenom.

Creature features assumed A-list status only after Jaws. Till then they were B and C grade movies. Without Jaws changing the box ofiice and moviegoing habits forever, the creature features would never have been mainstream movies.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Star Wars wrote:
jb007 wrote:
Star Wars wrote:
jb007 wrote:
Nazgul9 wrote:
jb007 wrote:
Since this is the originator of the Summer Blockbuster and a trendsetter, besides being a fantastic movie, with similar conditions of 1975, it would make over 600M easily.

But obviously there aren't similar conditions today, so it would have been a hit (~200m), no doubt about that, but a far cry from a phenomenon.

The conditions that exist today is the result of Jaws and Star Wars. The landscape would be entirely different if they had not been made at all.

Let's say if they could compensate Jaws with just STAR WARS, and Jaws wasn't released. Think Jaws would be popular today?

Absolutely. Remember that Jurassic Park, 18 years after Jaws, was a mega blockbuster and was the number 1 movie worldwide till Titanic.

Yeah but Jurassic Park is a little different because it was more "new" and we've seen all these creature-features and Jaws wouldn't exactly be a phenomenom.

Creature features assumed A-list status only after Jaws. Till then they were B and C grade movies. Without Jaws changing the box ofiice and moviegoing habits forever, the creature features would never have been mainstream movies.

Well let's assume Jurassic Park did that. What do you think it would make now? I'd say around $245 million. Signs numbers.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Creature features assumed A-list status only after Jaws. Till then they were B and C grade movies. Without Jaws changing the box ofiice and moviegoing habits forever, the creature features would never have been mainstream movies.[/quote]

Well let's assume Jurassic Park did that. What do you think it would make now? I'd say around $245 million. Signs numbers.[/quote]

Use the MS-DOS analogy. If that were released today for the first time it would still have the same impact as it did in the 80's. The same with Jaws.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I think it would be quite big today. Maybe not Titanic big, but ID4 big for sure.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I think it would have resonated with audiences more than the overrated The Sixth Sense did, and I would definitely consider that to qualify as a phenom at the box office.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Mod Team Leader

I think Jaws would be a phenom at the box office. Not Titanic phenom, but big enough to justify about a 350-400 mill gross. I think it would resonate with today's audiences and I think it would shock everyone just like it did back then. I think the cast would help out. Clint Eastwood as Quint would be the casting coup of the century.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: What if JAWS was released today?
baumer72 wrote:
I know that this might be tough to answer today, knowing what we know about film, but just for a moment, imagine if JAWS was released today. Say that no other major shark attack film had been released and it was released as a summer tentpole picture for Universal and Spielberg directed it. Say the cast was as follows:

Brody: Geroge Clooney
Hooper: Paul Giammatti
Quint: Clint Eastwood

Now that is a pretty cool cast and the film would be launched in about 3600 theaters. With the subject matter being what it is, John Williams score what it is and the film climate the way it is today, do you still think it would do well?

I do, and I'll tell you why later, but I want to hear from some of you. How do you think it would do and why? How much would it make and so on? Put some thought into it.

To be honest, the internet world would tear this movie to shreds and dissect every frame of the movie and rip the FX apart and say how fake this is and how fake that it is and the dialogue is stilted and the acting is wooden.. We were a much kinder world and less cynical back in 1975...

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Acting being wooden? Good luck BKB. The acting is top notch in teh picture, and plus I am talking about it with the new cast.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I've never seen Jaws, so I'd probably see it if it was re-released. My sister absolutely hates the movie though.. she said it was really cheesy and boring.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:27 pm
You must have big rats

If released nowdays, it'd most likely get the R-rating....

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:59 pm
Profile WWW