Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What would it take for WOTW to bomb? 
Extraordinary

WOTW will not bomb,and it will not dissapoint either.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

To be considered a bomb, WOTW would have to debut on Wednesday with a sub $12 million gross.
Open its first weekend with less than $45 million and any total under $125-135 would be an uber disappointment.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:42 pm
Full Fledged Member

Tom to keep opening his mouth and inserting both feet in, like he did this morning on the today show. CNN did a 15 min peice on it tonight. Tom got lambasted. He came off looking like an idiot. They also had a guy who said the film was $230 mil with marketing, as well the movie was not being screened to critics due to word being that it dissappoints.

Still the more Tom shows his true idiotic side the more people will be scared of Scientology and hopefully that cult dies a quick death. He has the nerve to say Psychiatry is about controlling people, read about scientology and see that it is about nothing but control. Read "Bare Faced Messiah" if you want the truth about Scientology. Speilberg must be laying awake at night wondering what he did to deserve this.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:43 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:04 pm
Extraordinary

CNN did a 15 min peice on it tonight. Tom got lambasted. He came off looking like an idiot. They also had a guy who said the film was $230 mil with marketing, as well the movie was not being screened to critics due to word being that it dissappoints.

Yeah, my jaw dropped when that critic mentioned that the film is not being well received by critics.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Btw, if anyone knows that ending, please spoil me completly. :)

Just put it in white font.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:07 pm
Extraordinary

I think [spoil] they die. It's apparently an unhappy ending [/spoil]

If anyone knows more than that, plz tell us. :)

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Nebs wrote:

Not according to http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/men-are ... click=true

Highlight

Wells preferred the term "scientific romance" to science fiction, despite being anything but romantic himself. Spielberg's version of his book is certainly romantic, though not about its science: Wells's characters are strikingly isolated, concerned less about the fate of family or friends than the scientific conundrum before them, but Spielberg manages to turn it into perhaps his most sentimental film yet.

Buildings fall and the ground opens, but nobody is crushed; everyone gets away just in time. On the run from the aliens, Cruise learns to sing lullabies to his daughter, learns to calm her when she is overtaken by claustrophobia, learns about her food allergies and the prizes she has won at school, all the things he has missed over the years.

"Why did the film have to be so wretchedly happy?" asks one of the Berlin press.

Very, very long laugh from Cruise.

"Because we wanted it that way!" he says.

Perhaps he could have said more, but mirth prevented him.

And the aliens

Highlight

Spielberg and Cruise's aliens are bit like a cross between cats and dinosaurs. They leap about abandoned houses on little fingered paws, using their superior brains to hack mischievously into laptops.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:30 pm
Extraordinary

What? That is horrible. That's even worse than the fake ending I just posted.

Oh well.

MadGez wrote:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
What? That is horrible. That's even worse than the fake ending I just posted.

Oh well.

I'm going to loot if this movie stinks.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

Well, to be fair, it's all speculation now.

It's very hard for me to imagine how this film could turn out bad. What Spielberg and Cruise did in Minority Report was amazing. It just doesn't make sense how a director like Spielberg could tackle something like this and end with a turd.

I mean, I've been skeptical about the film's potential, but never its quality.

Hm :-k

MadGez wrote:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Well, to be fair, it's all speculation now.

It's very hard for me to imagine how this film could turn out bad. What Spielberg and Cruise did in Minority Report was amazing. It just doesn't make sense how a director like Spielberg could tackle something like this and end with a turd.

I mean, I've been skeptical about the film's potential, but never its quality.

Hm :-k

Catdinos that type though. :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:52 pm
Draughty

Box wrote:
Nebs wrote:

Not according to http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/men-are ... click=true

Highlight

Wells preferred the term "scientific romance" to science fiction, despite being anything but romantic himself. Spielberg's version of his book is certainly romantic, though not about its science: Wells's characters are strikingly isolated, concerned less about the fate of family or friends than the scientific conundrum before them, but Spielberg manages to turn it into perhaps his most sentimental film yet.

Buildings fall and the ground opens, but nobody is crushed; everyone gets away just in time. On the run from the aliens, Cruise learns to sing lullabies to his daughter, learns to calm her when she is overtaken by claustrophobia, learns about her food allergies and the prizes she has won at school, all the things he has missed over the years.

"Why did the film have to be so wretchedly happy?" asks one of the Berlin press.

Very, very long laugh from Cruise.

"Because we wanted it that way!" he says.

Perhaps he could have said more, but mirth prevented him.

And the aliens

Highlight

Spielberg and Cruise's aliens are bit like a cross between cats and dinosaurs. They leap about abandoned houses on little fingered paws, using their superior brains to hack mischievously into laptops.

The bit about learnign to cure his child's claustrophobia sounds like Gibson calming down his ill son (asthmatic if i recall) in Signs. Sometimes as we get closer to release this movie seems like Independence Signs.

Last edited by A. G. on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Archie Gates- Independence Signs- brilliant.

I wonder if I should change my $70m/250m prediction. :-k

MadGez wrote:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

And that's a brill title.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:57 pm

If Ebert does the review tomorrow and pans it, I'll need to rethink what's really going on with the embargo.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:59 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah, I value Ebert's opinion highly on this matter because we almost always agree on matters relating to science fiction and fantasy (LOTR being a big exception; I loved it, he merely liked it).

The film, btw, might just be "ok", which would not be on par with what the critics want or have come to expect. I suppose having MR as your previous collaboration does raise the bar quite high.

MadGez wrote:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

the fact that Paramount is not allowing midnight shows and the fact that they did not have the US premire until yesterday...and the fact Cruise is tryin everything to get attention....its bad yes but hes in the spotlight...all makes me beleive this movie is gonna suck ass and pull a Village and drop a hard 65% in its 2nd week regarless of what it makes in its first

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

the fact that Paramount is not allowing midnight shows and the fact that they did not have the US premire until yesterday...and the fact Cruise is tryin everything to get attention....its bad yes but hes in the spotlight...all makes me beleive this movie is gonna suck ass and pull a Village and drop a hard 65% in its 2nd week regarless of what it makes in its first

I would think it would be hard to pull a Village since M Nights movie was all about suspense and twist, I think the FX could prevent it from being another Village despite the fact if the aliens isnt on par with anyones expectations

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I would love for this movie to pull a Village and be the best movie of the year :wink: . Advanced word on that film was that the ending was "horrible", not to mention that there were quite a few that thought the ending of Signs was ridiculous and yet, those are some of the most memorable conclusions in recent years. It's troubling to see some people here so easily losing faith in War of the Worlds and more importantly, losing faith in "The Berg". I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Box wrote:

If Ebert does the review tomorrow and pans it, I'll need to rethink what's really going on with the embargo.

Ebert didn't review it this week, gotta wait til next week....

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

That's weird about midnight screenings in the US, because we do have them over here. I might even attend one of them.

My faith in this movie has been dropping lately. Not sure what this can be attributed to, but really, slowly, but gradually I start believing that the reason why there aren't any huge money shots in the trailers/TV spots is not only because Spielberg wants to keep up the mystery, but because there are simply almost none in the movie. There are probably so few of them that if Spielberg had shown even a couple in the trailers that'd already be everything that is in the movie (similar to The Day After Tomorrow which has amazing eye candy that was all shown in the trailers however).

I do see this one open big, really really big. I am speaking over $120 million in 5 days here and probably over $150 million by Thursday. But then it will drop, big time, I'm afraid. I don't really see this one breaking $300 million anymore, but man, do I hope I am wrong.

With my expectations for this one droping and expectations for King Kong raising, I am almost inclined to believe that King Kong will be the year's 2nd biggest movie (unless Harry Potter 4 somehow really surprises).

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Disappointment - <$180m: If it makes less then Day After Tomorrow I will be disappointed.

Dud - <$130m - I think something less then $130m domestic would be considered a disaster. With numbers this low WOTW would make Hulk, Matrix Revolutions, and Godzilla look good.

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Hopefully it'll take only around 7 days for it to pass Hulk...

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

That's weird about midnight screenings in the US, because we do have them over here. I might even attend one of them.

My faith in this movie has been dropping lately. Not sure what this can be attributed to, but really, slowly, but gradually I start believing that the reason why there aren't any huge money shots in the trailers/TV spots is not only because Spielberg wants to keep up the mystery, but because there are simply almost none in the movie. There are probably so few of them that if Spielberg had shown even a couple in the trailers that'd already be everything that is in the movie (similar to The Day After Tomorrow which has amazing eye candy that was all shown in the trailers however).

I do see this one open big, really really big. I am speaking over $120 million in 5 days here and probably over $150 million by Thursday. But then it will drop, big time, I'm afraid. I don't really see this one breaking $300 million anymore, but man, do I hope I am wrong.

With my expectations for this one droping and expectations for King Kong raising, I am almost inclined to believe that King Kong will be the year's 2nd biggest movie (unless Harry Potter 4 somehow really surprises).

Actually I'm starting to think that this year might start catching up to last year during the fall and holiday seasons. 2004 had a pretty weak fall season due to the Olympics (down 18.4% from 2003), and an ok holiday season (down 5.5% from 2003). This years slate looks pretty decent specially during the holiday season with Chicken Little and HP4 looking to dominate November, and Narnia, and King Kong dominating in December. Plus there is no Olympics this fall to draw people away from theaters.

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW