Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 3 day weekend estimates 
Extraordinary

Post 3 day weekend estimates
$2.87m NEW MUTANTS (-59 %)
$1.67m UNHINGED (-36 %)
$0.36m COPPERFIELD (-24 %)
$0.35m SPONGEBOB (-19 %)

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: 3 day weekend estimates
Still no Tenet.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:12 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Variety is reporting $20.2 million over the weekend (4-day since it opened on Thursday?). No daily breakdown or how much came from early access showings or anything yet.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

5-Day of $20.2 million.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty disappointing considering the $20.2m also include a full week of Canada grosses three days of previews in the U.S. plus Thursday and Monday grosses....

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Truthfully feel this would have barely hit $50m opening weekend under normal summer conditions anyway. The marketing has been downright awful - both quality and quantity. Nolan made a movie so complex that it basically could not be advertised. 

We'll see how legs are. 

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:51 pm
The Kramer

$20M seems about right. Hopefully it doesn’t drop as hard as New Mutants over the next month.

Is this bad enough to delay Wonder Woman?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I feel like it's right on that "good enough" bubble. We'll have to see the second weekend gross, but since it did $20.2 million over five-days, and as mark66 mentioned, a figure that also includes a week's worth of earnings from Canada and three-days worth of previews in the U.S., I have a hard time seeing a good second weekend hold as a result of so many numbers being included in its "opening."

I'd like for Disney to release what Mulan earned in its premium access weekend for a comparison to this.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Ouch. Not good. Next weekend will probably dip to single digits.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 pm
Defeats all expectations

The Numbers and BOM listed $20.2m as Tenet's 3-day OW gross while it's supposed to be an estimate through Monday.

Assuming Tenet earned in early access $3m and $2m in the US and Canada respectively, a Thu-Mon 5-day gross of $15m was not very impressive. But at least it doubled The New Mutants' 3-day OW.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:52 pm
Extraordinary

With a very weak B cinemascore i think Tenet will drop fast.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Tenet did well overseas, grossing $130m internationally.

In Taiwan, it opened to $3m last weekend and held on to the top spot this week, beating Mulan's $1.2m OW.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:14 pm
Hold the door!

Hopefully NY and LA can open in time for WW1984. But I won’t hold my breath.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:31 pm
Forum General

With all that's going on it could have been worse honestly, but even with that in consideration these numbers still aren't all that great unfortunately. Hopefully, it does better on the home market and is able to make some kind of profit down the line, because I don't believe the movie deserves to be an outright flop, but as far as BO success goes Warner Bros might have to wright this one off for now unless it develops godly legs at some point.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:34 pm
Superfreak

I don't think this was blowing up anyway. The marketing sucked. Nolan made a film so fucking complex that it was not marketable.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'll say it because no one said it. For a movie that was supposed to save the industry from Covid19 this is a poor result specially when WB put all their might to fudge these numbers. That Cinemascore is weak, I saw somewhere that Mulan also got a B. I'll wait for next weekend but I feel a 45% drop next week is in order unless WB forces theaters to only show Tenet. Imagine if Mulan SAS releasing next weekend, we could be talking abigger nosedive at New Mutants level.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:23 pm
Superfreak

"Saving cinema" was not going to happen overnight, this was a painful step 1 in normalizing thing.

Someone had to do it. The first "big" movie to come out was always going to be a guinea pig and likely struggle. The lockdowns are nearly 6 months in at this point - everyone is used to theaters being closed and as has been noted, 2/3rd of the country did not know their theater was opened or that this was coming out. Part of the blame likes with WB for a terrible marketing campaign though on the other hand, very well may have been simply hedging their bets. Interestingly enough, even if the word spreads these next few days with "OMG TENET FLOPPED!" that actually may help it because by far the most common reaction will be "OMG THEATERS ARE OPEN!?!?"

Regardless, this is just step 1, it had to happen and initial struggles were inevitable. No matter what, WB deserve kudos for actually having the balls to take the plunge and start it up. Things will only improve from here, especially with rumors of a vaccine coming within the next 2 months. While I would say it looks to be extremely foolish to release Wonder Woman 1984 in just a few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if theaters are really ready to roll come Thanksgiving with Bond and are fairly normalized by December - assuming a vaccine.

Let's just hope for:
-Decent Tenet holds from here on out
-Continued "decline" in virus spread
-Continued development of effective vaccines

And theaters will really be able to stretch their legs soon. My guess is Bond will be the first movie to do any real money domestically & globally. Wonder Woman 1984 in mid December could be primed for a serious explosion, though.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:34 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

And yet it's still a poor number and you can read the posts before and the marketing push which all mentions the same fact "industry saviour" theme. I also mentioned let's wait for next weekend but I guess Nolan fans always get offended by the slightest of disagreement.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:15 pm
Veteran

With only 32% seating capacity in NA, Tenet’s domestic OW is roughly equivalent to ~$60m. It’s a good gross actually.

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:13 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah but it’s not selling out. So 60 million is what it could have made max, not an exact correlation

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:15 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

That $20m is essentially 6-day number. I do not think $60m for 6-day with the aid of holiday weekend is a great number.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:20 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah. It was not the event type of movie to bring people back out. I’m more interested to here how Mulan did.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:49 am
The Dark Knight

Excel wrote:
"Saving cinema" was not going to happen overnight, this was a painful step 1 in normalizing thing.

Someone had to do it. The first "big" movie to come out was always going to be a guinea pig and likely struggle. The lockdowns are nearly 6 months in at this point - everyone is used to theaters being closed and as has been noted, 2/3rd of the country did not know their theater was opened or that this was coming out. Part of the blame likes with WB for a terrible marketing campaign though on the other hand, very well may have been simply hedging their bets. Interestingly enough, even if the word spreads these next few days with "OMG TENET FLOPPED!" that actually may help it because by far the most common reaction will be "OMG THEATERS ARE OPEN!?!?"

Regardless, this is just step 1, it had to happen and initial struggles were inevitable. No matter what, WB deserve kudos for actually having the balls to take the plunge and start it up. Things will only improve from here, especially with rumors of a vaccine coming within the next 2 months. While I would say it looks to be extremely foolish to release Wonder Woman 1984 in just a few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if theaters are really ready to roll come Thanksgiving with Bond and are fairly normalized by December - assuming a vaccine.

Let's just hope for:

And theaters will really be able to stretch their legs soon. My guess is Bond will be the first movie to do any real money domestically & globally. Wonder Woman 1984 in mid December could be primed for a serious explosion, though.

Unfortunately the odds of having a vaccine within the next 2 months are very low. Early 2021 at best, and even that's pushing it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/03/heal ... index.html?

The WHO has said Spring 2021, which is more in line with reasonable expectations.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:51 am
Hold the door!

Cynosure wrote:
Excel wrote:

Let's just hope for:

Unfortunately the odds of having a vaccine within the next 2 months are very low. Early 2021 at best, and even that's pushing it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/03/heal ... index.html?

The WHO has said Spring 2021, which is more in line with reasonable expectations.

Excel is referring to an order from the surgeon general saying to be ready to begin distribution by No ember just in case. No one has said it will be ready in November. Most likely one will be approved this year for wide distribution by spring and distribution for healthcare workers and immunocompromised potentially earlier.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:03 am
The Kramer

Nobody is going to take the vaccine in November. Half the country won’t trust it, assuming that Trump is willing to sacrifice their health for political gain (which has been his MO in this pandemic). And his half still think covid is a hoax, and that Bill Gates is using the vaccine to implant microchips in them.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next