Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

Post Weekend Estimates
The Rise of Skywalker - 175.5m

WW at $373.5m.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm
Superfreak

Post Re: Weekend Estimates
The wrong type of Mother of God.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Extraordinary

With mediocre legs this could miss a billion. Eep. The holidays should prevent that from happening but jesus.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:01 pm
Extraordinary

It wont get to 500m imo, more like 450.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The opening day was mediocre and worrying. Not even hitting a 2x IM? That’s terrible. What a mess. Save us Baby Yoda!

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:03 pm
Forum General

It's funny because $175.5M is still a lot of money, but for a finale in something as hugely popular as Star Wars I definitely see it as underwhelming, especially when the third films in this franchise have increased in the past from their predecessors. People seemed so sure this would follow in the steps of both ROTJ and ROTS too, but unlike those films who at least had Vader as their major selling point this one just didn't have that much of a hook besides being another Star Wars movie.

The OS prospects aren't looking all that encouraging either and makes me wonder if it could actually go under $1B WW if the domestic numbers don't improve.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:06 pm
Forum General

I'm reserving judgement on this opening. It's OW is closer to Christmas and it has minimal competition in January. It could still make 500M.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Plus Christmas picks are slim pickings so yeah I guess let's see. Jumanji and maybe even Spies in Disguise will benefit.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:53 pm
Romosexual!

Absolutely a disappointing opening weekend for TRoS.
I highly doubt it now it beats TLJ Domestic or Worldwide

Oh wells it’ll still make a billion dollars for Disney historic year at the box office.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:26 pm
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
I wish Disney could have fucked up the MCU like this instead of SW.

Let’s be honest. It was on the way down in the quality department starting with Phantom Menace. Not surprised Disney continued this downward trend on quality. We got one last gasp of Star Wars power at the box office, but it’s gone now. They can never lean on nostalgia again, which means they’ll never see the demand that TFA created.

But I also think maybe we will get some better movies if they aren’t tied to the original trilogy. Give us new stories with new characters, preferably much better new characters than what we got from Abrams/Johnson.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Let’s be honest. It was on the way down in the quality department starting with Phantom Menace. Not surprised Disney continued this downward trend on quality. We got one last gasp of Star Wars power at the box office, but it’s gone now. They can never lean on nostalgia again, which means they’ll never see the demand that TFA created.

But I also think maybe we will get some better movies if they aren’t tied to the original trilogy. Give us new stories with new characters, preferably much better new characters than what we got from Abrams/Johnson.

ROTS was the biggest movie of its year. TFA was the biggest movie of its year. TLJ was the biggest movie of its year.

This is really the first time we’ve seen a pathetic SW performance since AOTC (Solo doesn’t exist in my mind). And that was more impressive than this.

Clones ran into a Marvel phenom with Spidey. Even if TLJ didn’t kill Luke and Episode 9 was hyped as Luke v Palpatine, I don’t think it would be able to match Avengers Endgame, certainly not worldwide.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Magnus wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Magnus wrote:

ROTS was the biggest movie of its year. TFA was the biggest movie of its year. TLJ was the biggest movie of its year.

This is really the first time we’ve seen a pathetic SW performance since AOTC (Solo doesn’t exist in my mind). And that was more impressive than this.

Clones ran into a Marvel phenom with Spidey. Even if TLJ didn’t kill Luke and Episode 9 was hyped as Luke v Palpatine, I don’t think it would be able to match Avengers Endgame, certainly not worldwide.

Though there are numerous reasons hurting it currently, I would argue that perhaps the biggest issue is the over saturation of Star Wars at the moment.

Many debated whether or not the Mandalorian would help or hurt TROS. I would argue at this point is almost certainly hurt - lots of casual fans (who do not care enough either way to be upset about THE LAST JEDI) likely got their Star Wars fix from the D+ show and weren't concerned with seeing TROS in theaters. The brand is really overexposed right now which really, really hurt the novelty and hurt the excitement of the Star Wars theatrical brand. Not saying they should retcon things. BUT:

Say Disney put the films away for a few years and then announces a new movie featuring peak Rey Skywalker in his her prime. Say they figure out some way to bring Kylo Ren back, Finn and Poe get recruited to join the new adventure, Luke Skywalker is ever present as a Force Ghost.

I can see hype being huge. How huge is tough to say but if its good, it would no doubt be bigger than TROS.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:59 pm
Homo Dperious

Those youtube views pointed in the right direction.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Quality is a great business plan

But it was retarded to kill Luke after one movie like they did with Han Solo. I can understand Ford not wanting to too many of these movies but they could have "disappeared" until finale or something. some of the best reaction I saw at theater included scenes with Solo/Luke. So have them have even a small role would have helped. Especially if they could have used them in marketing. Solo's appearance in SW7 trailer helped big time for sure.

I used to be shawman.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:37 am
Superfreak

Keyser Söze wrote:
But it was retarded to kill Luke after one movie like they did with Han Solo. I can understand Ford not wanting to too many of these movies but they could have "disappeared" until finale or something. some of the best reaction I saw at theater included scenes with Solo/Luke. So have them have even a small role would have helped. Especially if they could have used them in marketing. Solo's appearance in SW7 trailer helped big time for sure.

Its amazingly terrible they did not get the original trio together AT ALL in the first movie. Thats all on Abrams and its crazy

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:39 am
Extraordinary

Solo really shouldn't have happened. If anything I bet Solo would've done well as a Disney+ show. It actually would've been perfect as a Disney+ show with that Maul tease. Oh well.

A lot of franchises dip with their last entries, it's just unfortunate that this was more of the Mockingjay Part II of SW as opposed to Deathly Hallows Part II, or even Breaking Dawn Part II.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 am
Extraordinary

I am keen to see where it is after this weekend. Last Jedi got to $368m by end of 2nd weekend but that Sunday was Christmas eve.

Should be well over 300m but idk how higher.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 am
Keeping it Light

Magnus wrote:
WB screwed up DCU but in someways this feels like a bigger fuck up because DCU was never huge.

I actually think the DCEU and the SWST are a great comparison, in that they had loads of potential, but universe incoherence, rushed production, etc. delivered equally flawed results.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:00 am
Extraordinary

Trackers at BOT are seeing high 20s Monday, which would be 6th biggest ever so there's that lol

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:57 am
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
It’s still so mind boggling to me that two years ago, Last Jedi opened with the second biggest OW ever and we felt that SW was still at least the biggest franchise domestically as we all felt it would find a way close to 700m.

In the 24 months after its OW, we saw TLJ had medicore legs lead to 620m, Solo bomb, three MCU films all do sizably more than TLJ, and ROS open to potentially at #15 of all time and likely sub 500m total.

I would note that the position you describe is pretty much exactly where Attack of the Clones and Sith fell. In the mid 2000s, Spider-man, Pirates, Shrek, and Matrix all had decisively more anticipated films with many doing more in gross than Star Wars as well. The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 were a few years later and also handily beat Sith's inflated gross. Among the last 6 films, Phantom Menace and Force Awakens are the real anomalies as far as total goes. Sith and Last Jedi also did very well but not the insane heights of the previous films while Clones and ROTS were much below.

Overall the brand is huge but its definitely been oversaturated at the moment.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Extraordinary

Weekend actuals - 177.38m

x3 multiplier would be right around Rogue One. If this week is good I could see it getting there.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:56 pm
Superfreak

Folks w/ insider access @ Theory resales are rebust for the next 7 days. Maybe this will leg out a respectable gross after all

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:04 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
Excel wrote:
ROTS broke the midnight record by a mile and would have had the biggest OW ever if it was released on a Friday (it would have done in the high 130s IMO and POTC2 OW would have fallen short of it). From the six year stretch between SM1 to TDK, the only films that grossed more than ROTS was Shrek 2 and POTC2. SW was not lesser than any of those films.

Sith crushed midnights due to the sheer volume of screens that wasn't replicated until TDK. Even w. bonkers midnights, its opening day was still several million below Pirates 2. I don't think Sith on a Friday opens to Pirates 2 numbers but it would have been close. Obviously Spider-man 3 out opened Sith as did TDK, Transformers 2 would have had it opened on a Friday too.

Clones obviously is well behind numerous films in terms of opening significance.

SW is huge but PHANTOM MENACE and DA FORCE AWAKENS are anomalies.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:36 pm
Forum General

Magnus wrote:

Hear hear.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:36 pm
Homo Dperious

Magnus wrote:
Excel wrote:
I would note that the position you describe is pretty much exactly where Attack of the Clones and Sith fell. In the mid 2000s, Spider-man, Pirates, Shrek, and Matrix all had decisively more anticipated films with many doing more in gross than Star Wars as well

ROTS broke the midnight record by a mile and would have had the biggest OW ever if it was released on a Friday (it would have done in the high 130s IMO and POTC2 OW would have fallen short of it).

I had a formula I once used to calculate 141m.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next