Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Secret Life of Pets 2 Predictions 
Hold the door!

Post The Secret Life of Pets 2 Predictions
The first is okay, nothing great. The sequel many will probably skip.

65/200.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:23 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Secret Life of Pets 2 Predictions
This will do well. The first one is generally well liked even though I thought it was pretty mediocre. Hopefully they utilize the better characters.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:28 pm
now we know

It will most likely drop. But let's see how loved the first is in a year.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The original was pretty forgettable, but it's holding well and kids seemed to like it well enough. It'll drop but probably nothing crazy.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

lesterg wrote:
The original was pretty forgettable, but it's holding well and kids seemed to like it well enough. It'll drop but probably nothing crazy.

This. It's probably good for another $300 million.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am hoping it does not reach $300m and stalls at $250m but the original did fine at critical level and is holding well so I don' think that will happen. Prediction $100m/$295m

Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am hoping it does not reach $300m and stalls at $250m but it did fine at critical level and its holding well so I don' think that will happen. Prediction $100m/$295m

It's at $299m right now.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
It's at $299m right now.

This part relates to the sequel...

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am hoping it does not reach $300m and stalls at $250m. Prediction $100m/$295m

..and this relates to the first...

Jack Sparrow wrote:
did fine at critical level and its holding well so I don' think that will happen.

It's ok. I am a pretty good Spazzow translator after so many years of reading his bullshit.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:14 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jmart wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am hoping it does not reach $300m and stalls at $250m but the original did fine at critical level and is holding well so I don' think that will happen. Prediction $100m/$295m

It's at $299m right now.

:sweat: Edited

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 pm
Hold the door!

The original seems to have been huge simply due to the novelty the trailer conveyed. All novelty is gone. This will at least see a KFP or HTTYD level of decrease.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:29 pm

zwackerm wrote:
The original seems to have been huge simply due to the novelty the trailer conveyed. All novelty is gone. This will at least see a KFP or HTTYD level of decrease.

That would explain why it did very well opening weekend. The problem with your theory is that it's still making money. And not just limping along making money, but still holding well and making decent money.

And both of those films you mentioned, four years went in between the original and its sequel. As mentioned before, it'll be only two years in between, so the drop off shouldn't be anywhere near as drastic as those two.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

That would explain why it did very well opening weekend. The problem with your theory is that it's still making money. And not just limping along making money, but still holding well and making decent money.

Exactly, the film continues to do really, really freaking well. The general public (particularly kids) really seemed to dig it.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

lesterg wrote:
Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Exactly, the film continues to do really, really freaking well. The general public (particularly kids) really seemed to dig it.

HTTYD did a 5X multiple. Didn't mean people were as interested in a sequel. Pets will probably do about a 3.4.

The film ran out of clever ideas after its first ten minutes. Obviously it has decent word of mouth, but it's far from glowing. I don't think anyone walks out of it going "OMG I NEED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!"

As we've seen this year, people don't bother with sequels unless they really are wanted. I don't believe this one is.

Feel free to disagree. This is a lightning-in-a-bottle performance the sequel won't be able to replicate.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:50 pm

zwackerm wrote:
lesterg wrote:
Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

HTTYD did a 5X multiple. Didn't mean people were as interested in a sequel. Pets will probably do about a 3.4.

Again, because it was four years after the original. A lot of the kids who saw the original probably grew out of it and wanted nothing to do with those films.

Quote:
The film ran out of clever ideas after its first ten minutes. Obviously it has decent word of mouth, but it's far from glowing. I don't think anyone walks out of it going "OMG I NEED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!"

You're looking at it from your perspective. Do you think kids under the age of 12 give a crap about any of that?

Quote:
As we've seen this year, people don't bother with sequels unless they really are wanted. I don't believe this one is.

You'd probably have a better argument if the movie wasn't a month into its release, and wasn't still the number three movie in the country, and didn't just cross $300 million.

Quote:
Feel free to disagree. This is a lightning-in-a-bottle performance the sequel won't be able to replicate.

Fact! Or not, because what's objectivity?

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

KFP and HTTYD also had those TV shows that didn't help the movies. Pets is definitely not on the same level as those two. I don't believe the 4 year gap killed HTTYD and neither would a 2 year gap greatly help Pets.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:
KFP and HTTYD also had those TV shows that didn't help the movies. Pets is definitely not on the same level as those two.

No, it's bigger.

Quote:
I don't believe the 4 year gap killed HTTYD and neither would a 2 year gap greatly help Pets.

No one is arguing that the two year gap is going to greatly help Pets. That would indicate it's going to increase and that's very likely not going to happen. For it to have any chance of that, it'll have to be a significantly better film that attracts not only kids and parents, but everyone else. I don't think Dreamworks has it in them. What I'm arguing is the two year gap is going to prevent it from falling off the same cliff the other two films did. It's going to stay relevant.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jmart wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
KFP and HTTYD also had those TV shows that didn't help the movies. Pets is definitely not on the same level as those two.

No, it's bigger.

Was I not clear here? I was agreeing with you here but you don't seem to be happy about it (???)

Jmart wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I don't believe the 4 year gap killed HTTYD and neither would a 2 year gap greatly help Pets.

No one is arguing that the two year gap is going to greatly help Pets. That would indicate it's going to increase and that's very likely not going to happen. For it to have any chance of that, it'll have to be a significantly better film that attracts not only kids and parents, but everyone else. I don't think Dreamworks has it in them. What I'm arguing is the two year gap is going to prevent it from falling off the same cliff the other two films did. It's going to stay relevant.

I wasn't arguing??

What do you mean by DW doesn't have it? (the bold sentence).
Also I agree it won't fall that much. I guess my prediction sentence had some problems but honestly what is there not to get here????

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Ah, ok. I read everything the opposite way.

As for the bolded: I don't think Dreamworks has it in them to make a sequel to Pets that's better than the original. They're lazy, and the original shows that. They had a perfect concept and did very little with it.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Illumination and not DW. I haven't seen the original so I cannot say about the quality but I do agree it would be difficult to be second time pass from critics.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 pm
now we know

Having now seen The Secret Life of Pets, I believe a sequel will drop by a lot. I don't see how Illumination will keep it relevant. The two year gap is a good start, but none of the characters are particularly enjoyable or unique. But then I am not even sure that matters. Kids are surely the driving force behind the first's success, and they will be the driving force in 2018 as well. I want to predict between $200m and $299m, but I think it might just be one of those licences to print money (like the Ice Age franchise overseas), so probably another $300m grosser is on the cards.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I’m hopeful this will be the Illumination film where parents finally say no. But God are they a cancer on motivation to create quality animated films.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
I’m hopeful this will be the Illumination film where parents finally say no. But God are they a cancer on motivation to create quality animated films.

:funny:

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I still think Sing was great, but DM3 was awful and I won't see Grinch.

Illumination has everything perfected in terms of production, merchandising and marketing and having their finger on the pulse of kids. If they could just aim higher creatively, they'd be unstoppable.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:

Illumination is financially successful, and as a business, that's their primary objective. I'm afraid bolstering scripts is shelved until their bottom line is affected. Really, just a few good writers to keep adults engaged in their movies would go a long way. It's one of the strengths Shrek had, these were equally enjoyed by kids and adults - not subjecting parents to letdowns like The Grinch.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next