Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Dunkirk 225m+ Club - THE DREAM IS DEAD 
Superfreak

Post Re: Dunkirk 225m+ Club
IDC if WB has to pay Nolan and Bale $50M a piece. They are fucking fools if we do not get another TDK film before the trilogy has totally faded from contemporary pop culture (2020ish).

I am almost hoping Dunkirk flops and Justice League sucks so the sides have little choice but to play their ace in the hole. Now that STAR WARS has claimed May of 2019, December would belong to WB.

Nobody will give a fuck about it supposedly "ending" in 2012. Plz god/Nolan. I miss having a TDK film to look forward to so much.

Nolan returning to Batman or bringing Harry Potter back to screen would break the internet no doubt

Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Didn't the world of Harry Potter return to big screen?

I don't think its guaranteed to open $50m it will come close for sure. I see it doing $45m with great legs to do $170m domestic. OS won't be as big since even Inception and Interstellar weren't huge so I see $200m-$250m, with the general growth of OS markets since those two movies.

Sun May 07, 2017 9:19 am
Forum General

As much as I liked the new trailer I still don't see this happening. Maybe $200M if it can open to $55M+ and has great WOM. It does come out at the tail end of summer with The Dark Tower being it's biggest competition as far as appeal towards adult audiences go. However, if that underperforms it would help it a lot since I don't see Atomic Blonde exploding, but Apes could be a threat if it breaks out similar to Dawn and has good WOM.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Excel wrote:
IDC if WB has to pay Nolan and Bale $50M a piece. They are fucking fools if we do not get another TDK film before the trilogy has totally faded from contemporary pop culture (2020ish).

I am almost hoping Dunkirk flops and Justice League sucks so the sides have little choice but to play their ace in the hole. Now that STAR WARS has claimed May of 2019, December would belong to WB.

Nobody will give a fuck about it supposedly "ending" in 2012. Plz god/Nolan. I miss having a TDK film to look forward to so much.

Nolan returning to Batman or bringing Harry Potter back to screen would break the internet no doubt

Holy fuck would you just shut the fuck up.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun May 07, 2017 2:24 pm
Wall-E

This will be huge internationally, but I think its English cast/subject and Nolan's tendency to shy away from sentiment could keep it from being a must see for the red meat crowd that usually shows up for war movies. (I mean, I think it'll make twice what Hacksaw did, but still.

Sun May 07, 2017 4:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Excel wrote:
INGLRIOUS BASTERDS, with a hard R rating and Imaxless, 2009 ticket prices opened to $39m.

Basterds had an advertising campaign featuring Brad Pitt with a hillbilly accent bragging about killing Nazis. Now who the hell wouldn't want to see that?

I think Dunkirk is a tough one to market to the American public. We'll see how it goes but I don't think it will be able to reach the type of opening of Interstellar and definitely not Inception.

Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

I am confident its breaking out. Its marketing has been top notch and already they are on TV commercials. It appears lot more action packed than interstellar and has a prime release date. Also Nolan brand is even stronger now than when inception opened. 60m+ OW for sure.

I used to be shawman.

Sun May 07, 2017 9:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

How exactly is Nolan brand stronger now than Inception? He only made Interstellar before this and Inception was following TDK with some amazing marketing that this movie thus far seems to lack.

I mean the only movie that I see potential of breaking out in summer is this but still its not guaranteed and the signs thus far don't point to a HUGE breakout. Plus $50m for a War Movie is still a big opening regardless of the director.

Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 pm
Superfreak

Interstellar was a hard sell of a movie, IMO. Had it opened in summer, it would have likely cleared $60m OW anywoo.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Excel wrote:
INGLRIOUS BASTERDS, with a hard R rating and Imaxless, 2009 ticket prices opened to $39m.

Basterds had an advertising campaign featuring Brad Pitt with a hillbilly accent bragging about killing Nazis. Now who the hell wouldn't want to see that? .

Anyone who wouldn't be admitted from the R rating? Or who isn't in to Tarantinos overly violent style?

If this gets 90%+ on RT, it is going to open yuuuuge

Sun May 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Jack Sparrow wrote:
How exactly is Nolan brand stronger now than Inception? He only made Interstellar before this and Inception was following TDK with some amazing marketing that this movie thus far seems to lack.

I mean the only movie that I see potential of breaking out in summer is this but still its not guaranteed and the signs thus far don't point to a HUGE breakout. Plus $50m for a War Movie is still a big opening regardless of the director.

There has been Inception, TDKR and interstellar. But its not just movies that release post inception but the fact that he has been among the most marketed and wanted director. Just any news about him or his movies explode in social media. So there have been folks who would have seen movies released prior to inception post inception release date.

He is probably the highest paid director in hollywood. You dont get that unless your brand is that big.

http://screenrant.com/christopher-nolan ... rk-salary/

I used to be shawman.

Sun May 07, 2017 11:25 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

There is no arguing that he is a big name and has been for some time. Still doesn't mean his brand is bigger than when Inception was released. Inception was a high concept movie with brilliant marketing following one of the best superhero movies of all time by a critically loved director. I don't think those factors can be replicated for Dunkirk.

Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 pm
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
Interstellar was a hard sell of a movie, IMO. Had it opened in summer, it would have likely cleared $60m OW anywoo.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Excel wrote:

Basterds had an advertising campaign featuring Brad Pitt with a hillbilly accent bragging about killing Nazis. Now who the hell wouldn't want to see that? .

Anyone who wouldn't be admitted from the R rating? Or who isn't in to Tarantinos overly violent style?

If this gets 90%+ on RT, it is going to open yuuuuge

Interstellar was the holiday season kickoff film. Hardly seems like a release date that would hinder its opening. People were predicting 80m+ OW for that film, and it didn't crack 50. I'm not sold Dunkirk has more appeal.

Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Also Interstellar didn't start off badly as well with the early reviews, it just settled with 71% in the end. Same for Inception with settled for a much higher 86% at RT. Dunkirk is after all not a blockbuster like those two so its mainstream appeal is limited and Interstellar showed that the supposed fans of Nolan do have a cap. Any movie that is great can breakout but saying that Dunkirk is guaranteed to be HUGE because of Nolan seems such a stupid argument.

Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 pm
Cream of the Crop

Keyser Söze wrote:
He is probably the highest paid director in hollywood. You dont get that unless your brand is that big.

His brand is huge with the lucrative teen audience, the problem is that his movies don't appeal to a more mature audience.

Mon May 08, 2017 2:39 am
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:

His brand is huge with the lucrative teen audience, the problem is that his movies don't appeal to a more mature audience.

Teenagers? Most of them are not even old enough to have a clue about Nolan's most popular movies. Interstellar definitely played to an older audience than teenagers. On opening weekend, 75% of the audience was over 25 and I'm betting that percentage increased in later weekends since old people tend to wait longer to see films.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3956&p=.htm

Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

^^^

Interstellar played great with older audience while his batman/inception played great with younger audience. Interstellar lacked action and that limited younger audience. Dunkirk is being marketed as a thriller. It will do much better with younger audience. Plus Nolan plays well with men and woman(most of his movies are evenly split). That is why I am confident of this out opening Interstellar comfortably.

I used to be shawman.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes this will out-open Interstellar because most women rush out for war movies.

Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 am
Hold the door!

I know a lot of young people who saw and LOVED interstellar in the theater.

Most war movies miss 20m OW. Unbroken did 30m OW. Even with Nolan, 50m seems like a stretch because I don't think the marketing has been THAT exciting.

Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 am
now we know

This isn't happening. No big star in there for the Yanks to root for. It will make around $100m.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 am
Profile WWW

Nolan is the star here. Its marketed as a thriller. it will open huge for sure. Its doing good in social media as well.

I used to be shawman.

Wed May 10, 2017 3:32 am
now we know

Keyser Söze wrote:
Nolan is the star here. Its marketed as a thriller. it will open huge for sure. Its doing good in social media as well.

In the middle of summer, it won't have such WOM. Nolan is only the star if it's a clever thriller. This is a war movie. People may see it, but not nearly as many as you think.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Also it just released a new trailer for a movie with huge fanbase. Its expected to do well on social media at this point. There is a definite interest among the internet crowd and Nolan's fanbase but will it translate to actual BO outside the Nolan fanbase that didn't come out in hoards for Interstellar is the question for this club. I just think for this subject matter it won't be the HUGE $200m+ blockbuster that everyone is expecting. There also isn't big star power here.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 am
Cream of the Crop

Keyser Söze wrote:

Problem is a lot of that social media chatter is due to One Direction fans. How many of them will actually put their money where their mouth is at the box office?

Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

There is a chatter on Dunkirk because of One Direction..ugh. I liked that group but not THAT and was never sure what the fuss was about, they were eventually going to break-up given how they came together as a group and they weren't even memorable like Backstreet Boys or other groups IMO.

Thu May 11, 2017 3:24 am
Extraordinary

hm... I wonder if the hype for this will pick up because right now I'm not really feeling a breakout for this. Guess we'll see how reviews go.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next