Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sahara Predictions 
Superman: The Movie

BO Total: $40.3

It'll finish either third or fourth next weekend. I'm not sure what Beautyshop will do on it's second weekend.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Let me remind you guys this movie was originally scheduled for Summer 2003, Summer 2004, and March 25th before setting on the date of April 8th. It has also gone through many reshoots and recasts to get to this point.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:51 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

A run like most people are saying. People will want to see this because what are older people who do not want to see SIn City going to see....??

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

Killuminati510 wrote:
Jeez, BOM has its budget at 130mil.

Who actually greenlit this film with a budget like that? Does someone just flip a coin, tales yes, heads no?

What the hell are the odds that it could possibly break-even let alone profit after this kind of budget and all the marketing they have to pump into it and the cut for exhibitors? Fucking spastics are in charge of the studios, I tell ye. Think of all the good movies that could have been made with this money...4 Million Dollar Babys, 3 Sin Citys, 2 Hellboys or a War Of The Worlds.

Yes because Hellboy was such a great movie.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Total: $29.5

Bombs away! No-name cast, desert background (which is box office poison), and ads that don't make sense. In National Treasure, you knew what it was about. Sahara just has a montage of clips and a few "We must find the clues!".

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:47 pm

A run like most people are saying. People will want to see this because what are older people who do not want to see SIn City going to see....??

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who
The Upside of Anger

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Opening: $11.9
Total: $29.5

Bombs away! No-name cast, desert background (which is box office poison), and ads that don't make sense. In National Treasure, you knew what it was about. Sahara just has a montage of clips and a few "We must find the clues!".

Well The Mummy flicks had desert background as well and did quite well, at the box-office.

But I agree, this ain't no The Mummy or National Treasure.

Then again, Hidalgo also had a desert background...

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Domestic Total: $53.0 million
Worldwide Total: $105 million

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:10 am
Where will you be?

Guys, this movie was independently made from a large number of sources, it's not all Paramount. I guarantee you they paid less then 50 million to get this domestically released, they're not gonna lose anything.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:11 am

Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who
The Upside of Anger

I would see the Upside of Anger instead, but after that competion is pretty bad.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15 am
Profile WWW

jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who
The Upside of Anger

I would see the Upside of Anger instead, but after that competion is pretty bad.

Compared to Sahara, all 5 look like gold (With The Upside of Anger being a great movie). However, if we are talking about older people here, why would they want to see Sahara anyways? It's an action movie, which is why I am assuming they would be avoiding Sin City in the first place.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Let me remind you guys this movie was originally scheduled for Summer 2003, Summer 2004, and March 25th before setting on the date of April 8th. It has also gone through many reshoots and recasts to get to this point.

Sorry, where did your find that info? Cause It seems like bogus to me... According to Imdb, the shooting was from February-May 2004... and I haven´t heard anything about reshoots, re-casts, etc... Where have you?

I´m not saying this a reason why the movie will do good... but definitely It is not a reason why it´ll bomb, cause none of it seems to actually be true

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who

The Upside of Anger

Compared to Sahara, all 5 look like gold (With The Upside of Anger being a great movie). However, if we are talking about older people here, why would they want to see Sahara anyways? It's an action movie, which is why I am assuming they would be avoiding Sin City in the first place.

You got to be kidding me, right. I mean Upside of Anger is above Sahara, but what puts Miss Congeniality 2 or Fever Pitch above Sahara, nothing...if anything they are on the same level.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who

The Upside of Anger

You got to be kidding me, right. I mean Upside of Anger is above Sahara, but what puts Miss Congeniality 2 or Fever Pitch above Sahara, nothing...if anything they are on the same level.

For all I know, Sahara might be a better movie in terms of quality over MC2 and Fever Pitch. When it comes to the box office though, what advantage does it have over the other films? Besides, the fact it's new, not much.

The reason why I said all five look like gold is because Sahara just looks like another version of the new Flight of the Phoenix and National Treasure all rolled into one. Actually, now that I look at it, I don't know why I said MC2 is gold compared to Sahara. I definetly think that Sahara will beat out MC2 this upcoming weekend, simply because it's a new movie and people have seen MC2 before, same for Guess Who, but that's not what you were originally asking. You were asking what the alternative is for older people who do not want to see Sin City is.

As for Fever Pitch though I think Fever Pitch will do better for a few reasons. The first reason being Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymoore. It might not be the strongest one two combination in the world, but compared to Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz and Steve Zahn? The second reason is the Farrelly Brothers. The third is who has more of a following? Fans of the book that Sahara is based on, or Red Sox fans? And then seeing as it's a romantic comedy, you will most likely see a much stronger femal audience for Fever Pitch, than Sahara. That's why I don't think Sahara will do well, and apparently looking through the thread, i'm not alone.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think Fever Pitch will get better reviews than Sahara. Last weekend, Ebert and Reoper gave Fever Pitch two big thumbs up. Sahara does remind me The Flight of Phoenix; however, it bounds to get more screens per theater and is facing much less competition. I said at the time about The Flight of Phoenix that given it only getting 1 screen, it would be squeezed with more interests else where and end with $2000 PTA. Sahara will certainly do better than that, but I don't see it doing much more than 12M.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I think Fever Pitch will get better reviews than Sahara. Last weekend, Ebert and Reoper gave Fever Pitch two big thumbs up. Sahara does remind me The Flight of Phoenix; however, it bounds to get more screens per theater and is facing much less competition. I said at the time about The Flight of Phoenix that given it only getting 1 screen, it would be squeezed with more interests else where and end with $2000 PTA. Sahara will certainly do better than that, but I don't see it doing much more than 12M.

I still believe Phoenix could have done well if it wasn't so under the radar from a last minute move up a week and being thrown along with so much competition. The DVD sales beat out it's TOTAL in the first week, I think that shows the interest was there but many people had other priority movies to see with this on the sideline. It woud've been a much better Spring release.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:28 am

Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who

The Upside of Anger

For all I know, Sahara might be a better movie in terms of quality over MC2 and Fever Pitch. When it comes to the box office though, what advantage does it have over the other films? Besides, the fact it's new, not much.

The reason why I said all five look like gold is because Sahara just looks like another version of the new Flight of the Phoenix and National Treasure all rolled into one. Actually, now that I look at it, I don't know why I said MC2 is gold compared to Sahara. I definetly think that Sahara will beat out MC2 this upcoming weekend, simply because it's a new movie and people have seen MC2 before, same for Guess Who, but that's not what you were originally asking. You were asking what the alternative is for older people who do not want to see Sin City is.

As for Fever Pitch though I think Fever Pitch will do better for a few reasons. The first reason being Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymoore. It might not be the strongest one two combination in the world, but compared to Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz and Steve Zahn? The second reason is the Farrelly Brothers. The third is who has more of a following? Fans of the book that Sahara is based on, or Red Sox fans? And then seeing as it's a romantic comedy, you will most likely see a much stronger femal audience for Fever Pitch, than Sahara. That's why I don't think Sahara will do well, and apparently looking through the thread, i'm not alone.

Okay, I am going to give you Fever Pitch, but thats it. I want to see Fever Pitch, fail. Yankees fan who thinks Jimmy Fallon is extremly unfunny.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:39 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

$12/35

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 am
Extraordinary

There are lots of older folks out there that love this author's books and will likely go see it regardless of WOM. I believe everyone's going low on this one and will predict $28mil/112mil...

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:29 pm
Draughty

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I'm raising mine a bit. I got this series confused with Jack Ryan for some reason. This is the first Dirk Pitt movie, correct?

Opening: $14.0
Total: $40.0

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Sahara will flop. there won't be any Dirk Pitt adaptation anymore in the next 10 years.

12/35

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:04 am
Profile ICQ WWW

jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:
jmart007 wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

20-25 mil opening
60-65 mil

Fever Pitch
Miss Congeniality 2
Beautyshop
Guess Who

The Upside of Anger

As for Fever Pitch though I think Fever Pitch will do better for a few reasons. The first reason being Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. It might not be the strongest one two combination in the world, but compared to Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz and Steve Zahn? The second reason is the Farrelly Brothers. The third is who has more of a following? Fans of the book that Sahara is based on, or Red Sox fans? And then seeing as it's a romantic comedy, you will most likely see a much stronger female audience for Fever Pitch, than Sahara. That's why I don't think Sahara will do well, and apparently looking through the thread, i'm not alone.

Okay, I am going to give you Fever Pitch, but thats it. I want to see Fever Pitch, fail. Yankees fan who thinks Jimmy Fallon is extremly unfunny.

Then that's like the ultimate doube whammy for you. However, I have seen the movie (And this might be very easy for me to say since I am a Sox fan) but I don't think you need to be a Sox fan to appreciate this movie. Even though the Sox are a big part of the story, they are almost in the background. The movie isn't really about the Sox, but more about the psyche of an obsessed fan and the romantic aspect.

And even though I like Jimmy Fallon, and enjoyed him in Taxi, I know a lot of people don't. But this is very easily his best acting performance to date (Including SNL). He is very good here.

Now I know I can't push you one way or another to see the film, but it's worth a look.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next