Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 117  Next
 China Box Office 
now we know

Post Re: China Box Office
Wolf Warriors 2 is enough of a smash-hit success for them to think their plan worked, and sadly it actually did, so expect more import blackouts.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:33 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ugh. I just hope the foreign movies breaks some records but yeah it's true the WW2 is big enough for them to not consider changing their plans.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:32 am
now we know

Wolf Warriors 2 had an almost-$50m Sunday pushing its 4-day gross to $142m. This is just insane.
Despicable Me 3, after 24 days, has $146m.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Damn it!!

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 am
Speed Racer

China will save Dunkirk as well :roll:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:12 am
now we know

Its 4-day gross has been adjusted to $151m, adding $9m from the estimate! Does the craziness never end!!?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have never seen this kind of under-estimation before from China. So WW2 will end up the highest movie of the year thus far? SHITE..

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 am
now we know

It is currently sixth behind Dangal, Transformers: The Last Knight, Journey to the West: Demon Strikes Back, Kung Fu Yoga, and Fast & Furious 8. It will definitely become the 2nd highest-grossing film of 2017, but not sure about beating Fast & Furious 8 just yet.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

If nothing else breaks out I think Wolf Warrior will make more than F8 as well.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:59 am
now we know

Well, just the sheer amount of releases flooding the market will hinder it, some of which are anticipated such as Once Upon A Time, Guilty of Mind, The Adventures, Paradox, Peace Breaker etc., but Wolf Warriors 2 is lucky to have no foreign competition.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 am
Profile WWW
now we know

In other news, Valerian is still not on the schedule, which is not a good sign if it indeed is released on 25th August. It seems to be one those dumped films that nobody knows about until very late and thus nobody sees, which would be very strange considering the film's Chinese involvement.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Iseedasky wrote:

It looks like it, yes. It is more than a month away but has more interest than any other film on the schedule. Just how well it will do is anybody's guess.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Algren wrote:
Iseedasky wrote:

It looks like it, yes. It is more than a month away but has more interest than any other film on the schedule. Just how well it will do is anybody's guess.

Yes, but why it is releasing so late? The quota for foreign films coming to an end or they want to give their local films more exposure? Wolf warriors 2 is doing wonders, also it's the 15th film to cross $100 M in China this year, only 3 films behind US :D :zonks:

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 pm
Extraordinary

Wow, $226m in 6 days...

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

mark66 wrote:
Wow, $226m in 6 days...

That's amazing. Is there a holiday going on right now in China or is it just really strong WOM?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its first week and there are no options. The movies do big numbers in first week. I think its looking highly likely that Wolf Warrior 2 does more than Fate.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 pm
now we know

redfirebird2008 wrote:
mark66 wrote:
Wow, $226m in 6 days...

That's amazing. Is there a holiday going on right now in China or is it just really strong WOM?

No holiday, but a foreign movie blackout, and the film does have great WOM and an in-built fan base since the first is well liked. It is an action movie that ties itself to real events, and the Chinese love this type of film.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Iseedasky wrote:
Algren wrote:
Iseedasky wrote:

Yes, but why it is releasing so late?

There is a blackout on foreign films. The government will not allow any to be released until 25th August, and Dunkirk is releasing on 1st September.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, it still has some way to go before beating Fast & Furious 8. I wasn't sure what its weekday numbers would be like because last Thursday it wasn't huge, but with a Monday of $40m and a Tuesday of $38m, it should take down FF8 by the end of the coming weekend.

Though again, the Chinese market is very frontloaded, and nobody can really tell what effect new films released into the marketplace will have on existing films.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:

No holiday, but a foreign movie blackout, and the film does have great WOM and an in-built fan base since the first is well liked. It is an action movie that ties itself to real events, and the Chinese love this type of film.

Thanks. How big do you think it could finish?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't think it will continue the same pace but I think a multiplier less than 2 from first week should be enough for it do get past Fate, even with big drops from here it seems doable.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:07 pm
Keeping it Light

I was and would be skeptical of that, but then I found out; this franchise is based on a popular preceding tv-series, the first film made $87m with a release date not as good (April 2015), it's a film with a heavy military (serving in the army) undertone and China, just last week celebrated the 90 year anniversary of the founding of it's current army, the star and director Wu Jing is being considered the new Jackie Chan (doing his own stunts and stuff).
I suddenly have little doubt it could become the highest grossing film of the year.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 pm
now we know

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Algren wrote:

Thanks. How big do you think it could finish?

Even conservative projections will have to have it over $400m, which means it will definitely become the 2nd highest-grossing film in China behind The Mermaid's $526m. It won't reach that. I'll say $425m. What the hell.

Its Tuesday estimate just got increased to $42m (from $38m). It is doing extremely well, but there is a glimmer of doubt that it's doing THAT well - I would not be surprised if the Chinese are artificially bumping its numbers to prove their blackout a success. But that's just a theory. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

stuffp wrote:
I was and would be skeptical of that, but then I found out; this franchise is based on a popular preceding tv-series, the first film made $87m with a release date not as good (April 2015), it's a film with a heavy military (serving in the army) undertone and China, just last week celebrated the 90 year anniversary of the founding of it's current army, the star and director Wu Jing is being considered the new Jackie Chan (doing his own stunts and stuff).
I suddenly have little doubt it could become the highest grossing film of the year.

The new Jet Li is more appropriate since Wu Jing is a real-life martial artist, and the anniversary has little to do with its success because if that were a factor then The Founding of an Army would be doing better than its measly $39m in 6 days.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I just thought of it as Jackie Chan, but Jet Li might be just as or a better comparison, however Wu Jing also directs and I feel that's more like JC than JL.

And right TFoaA should be doing better if that army anniversary were to have any effect.

Other than that, WW2 is having great WOM among Chinese it seems, but maybe a lot of that could be out of patriotism too. FYI, nobody in my office has seen the film yet (or plans to go see it seems). FYI2, I checked showtimes at my "local" cinema for tonight and most showings are already pretty fully booked.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 117  Next