Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 WAR OF THE WORLDS: RT- 33 Fresh/ 3 Negative 
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Not sure where this goes, but here it is...

Wednesday - $25,200,000
Thursday - $15,120,000 (-40%)
Friday - $20,865,000 (+38%)
Saturday - $25,038,700 (+20%)
Sunday - $20,030,900 (-20%)
Monday - $14,021,683 (-30%)
Tuesday - $15,424,851 (+10%)

1-Week Total - $135,698,000

I'm actually not sure how this will turn out because 4th of July is on a Monday this year, so do people have off on Tuesday? :-k

And, the only movie in the top 10 opening week's that didn't gross over $300 million was The Matrix Reloaded.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weeks.htm

No the holiday falls on a monday..so that is the day you get off. Although Many I am sure will take the day after off..since fireworks are late at night.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

As i said in another thread,Fat disgusting looking head of AICN Harry Knowles says its the best film of the year.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20580

Im suprised he thinks that,he's been critical of spielberg since the lost world.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

As i said in another thread,Fat disgusting looking head of AICN Harry Knowles says its the best film of the year.

Im suprised he thinks that,he's been critical of spielberg since the lost world.

The review seems strange, he likes it but he says things about it that will not get people hopeful. For example he says it is like early speilberg, but doesn't have the sense of fun that Jaws had. It's more like Duel. That is not a good sign at all for a movie that hopes to be a giant blockbuster.

And what to make of this line "And it’s tougher than SCHINDLER’S… it’s more along the lines of THE PIANIST." Knowles may like the movie, but he's sure not selling it, his review might be a sign of mixed word of mouth to come.

:-k

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

The review seems strange, he likes it but he says things about it that will not get people hopeful. For example he says it is like early speilberg, but doesn't have the sense of fun that Jaws had. It's more like Duel. That is not a good sign at all for a movie that hopes to be a giant blockbuster.

And what to make of this line "And it’s tougher than SCHINDLER’S… it’s more along the lines of THE PIANIST." Knowles may like the movie, but he's sure not selling it, his review might be a sign of mixed word of mouth to come.

:-k

I think Harry means that this is a very seriouse film and not a dumb down sci-fi action film.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'll be watching it tonight, so let's see whether Knowles is right or not (though, I usually don't buy AICN's stuff most of the time anyways).

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
I know what's going on with AICN and War, I think.

AICN had already set itself up as pro-WOTW with Quint and his sappy set visits. Maybe Harry expects once the embargo is lifted the WOM to be mixed, so he's already put himself out there before hand saying how its more like Duel and not more popular fare.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:45 pm
Draughty

I know what's going on with AICN and War, I think.

AICN had already set itself up as pro-WOTW with Quint and his sappy set visits. Maybe Harry expects once the embargo is lifted the WOM to be mixed, so he's already put himself out there before hand saying how its more like Duel and not more popular fare.

I agree. He's setting it up for a "I respect it, i didn't say it was a lot of fun" approach.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I read the first little bit of Knowles' review and the comparisons he was making to Duel and Schindler's List really brought a smile to my face. It's this kind of tone that will separate War of the Worlds from the usual summer blockbuster fare. It might suffer at the box-office because of it's lack of "fun", but it will be a more rewarding experience for myself and others who expect a little more.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/ ... eview.html

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This film will have 50%+ drops. Just wait and see.

What a terrible ending.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

The positive reviews are total BS.

This film will have 50%+ drops. Just wait and see.

What a terrible ending.

If that's true, and since the ending is the thing that stays with a moviegoer, it would bode well for Fantastic Four's opening.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:06 am
Teh Mexican

i dont know if these were already posted, here are some good reviews from RT

9.2/10 "War of the Worlds is, hands down, the best big budget film of the summer. Maybe the year. Spielberg has crafted a real classic." CHUD

4/5 "the most adult film to come out during the summer season in years."Hero Realm

4/5 "if you like heart attacks with your movie-nights out, then sign yourself up for the war" Peterborough This Week

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:50 am
Extraordinary

Its already got a tomatometer.Its at 100%
6 fresh and 0 rotten so far.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/war_of_ ... /?show=all

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Update,another review in and its positive.

7 fresh and 0 rotten.

From Joblo
everything you’d look for in a summer blockbuster and more!" ["movie review] JoBlo's Movie Emporium

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:43 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

One of those reviews is a soundtrack review.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:52 am
Extraordinary

One of those reviews is a soundtrack review.

I see.

well,another review up and its positive. 7 fresh and 0 rotten.

It seems that the reviews will be coming in from today on.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

No offense box, but you know how I feel you have a tendency to... well, "slightly overstate things" ;), and in this case, I'm not convinced the crowds will scream and hiss and throw the popcorn at the screen. Signs had amazing legs despite a LOT of people online having similar feelings about the ending, and this thusfar has had much better WOM. I'll see it for myself tomorrow at 7:00 PM.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:49 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

12 fresh and 1 rotten,the one rotten from film freak central is a lot like the dark shape's review,saying that 90% of the film is some of the best ever made but the ending is not good so for that he gave it a negative review.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

12 fresh and 1 rotten,the one rotten from film freak central is a lot like the dark shape's review,saying that 90% of the film is some of the best ever made but the ending is not good so for that he gave it a negative review.

Walther Chaw is a moron. His review of ROTS was pathetic.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

neo_wolf wrote:

"Spielberg is the only one who can mess up a Spielberg film."

what the hell... :-k

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Most of the reviews talked about the ending. I don't know why RT has the average at 8.0 when it seems a lot of them mentioned how the last 17 minutes ruined the brilliance of first 100 mins.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

No offense box, but you know how I feel you have a tendency to... well, "slightly overstate things" ;), and in this case, I'm not convinced the crowds will scream and hiss and throw the popcorn at the screen. Signs had amazing legs despite a LOT of people online having similar feelings about the ending, and this thusfar has had much better WOM. I'll see it for myself tomorrow at 7:00 PM.

Not saying that Box's points are all valid but the Signs also had a religious theme and seems to have stronger family ties as Box suggested that seemed to help the movie alot

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:33 pm
Extraordinary

Most of the reviews talked about the ending. I don't know why RT has the average at 8.0 when it seems a lot of them mentioned how the last 17 minutes ruined the brilliance of first 100 mins.

Any kind of brilliance that the first 100 minutes might have had (it's not brilliant though; the effects are, but the dialogue and acting are not, and the pacing is off at times, the editing seems odd in some parts, etc- had the ending been good, the film would still not have been great) are undermined and discounted by the ending.

You have to really suppress any attempts at logic and sound reason to still like the film when taking all things (incl. the ending) into consideration.

I'm sure a lot of sheep will merely follow Spielberg where-ever he goes. However, a lot of them will not. I still see 50% drops.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

jb007 wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:

"Spielberg is the only one who can mess up a Spielberg film."

what the hell... :-k

What he means is that this film is without question the work of a brilliant and experienced filmmaker who showcases his talent in different parts here and there, but does not display it in the work as a whole. The end-result is that much worse for being so good in parts. Think of someone falling from a greater height.

MadGez wrote:

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next