Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Friday Numbers [SBD] 
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
headcrush wrote:

That's not that far off. Absolute worst case senario (10% drop Sat, 50% drop Sun), WTL makes about 18 mil. I expect 19-19.5 mil.

In terms of percentage, that is further off, than I'd prefer. I see $18 million for the weekend. It won't drop much on Saturday, but I expect the Sunday drop-off to be pretty big (around 50%).

Well, if it drops less than 10% Sat, it's WK will be much higher than 18m.

Fri 7.8
Sat 7.4 (-5%)
Sun 3.7 (-50%)
=
18.9m

Ahh, I meant I see $18.8 million for the weekend, as I projected in my projections on the first page. Sorry about the typo.

This is pretty much the pattern I see. Only a slightly bigger drop on Saturday and a slightly smaller one on Sunday.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Walk the Line could have a small increase today. Look at last year - most adult-targeted movies other than the extremely frontloaded Alexander increased on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Then again, those were movies that were in release for a bit of a longer time and they didn't make really big numnbers on Friday making it a bit easier to increase on Saturday. Also, back in 2003 quite a bit of adult-oriented flicks dropped on Saturday and in 2002 all movies in the Top 11 dropped on Saturday.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I'm not sure if Potter will fall today. I also think it has a chance to do 60 for the weekend.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

When was the last time a family-oritned flick did not drop on the Saturday after Thanksgiving?

I can't recall a single occasion in the past 3-4 years.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

SBD once again proves that it is the best at under predicting :roll:

though there P&P estimate is fantastic :happy:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

When was the last time a family-oritned flick did not drop on the Saturday after Thanksgiving?

I can't recall a single occasion in the past 3-4 years.

ture but they didnt sway as adult as this one does, as DP07 would put it. I think/hope it will stay flat.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Jeff 42 wrote:
Walk the Line could have a small increase today. Look at last year - most adult-targeted movies other than the extremely frontloaded Alexander increased on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

So do you mean to say...big...increase, not small?

No, I mean as opposed to the decrease that people in this thread seem to be expecting.

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (A-)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (A-)
5. Sin City (A-)

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I agree with Jeff. WTL should have a 2.5 IM and $19.5M weekend.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

;)

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

I agree with Jeff. WTL should have a 2.5 IM and $19.5M weekend.

It would rock if WTL could break 20m again this wknd :smile: :happy:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Derailed is too low.

;)

you and your derailed obsession :tongue: :lol: :lol:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Lecter, I rarely disagree with your analysis, but I believe Potter won't drop today either. Some points to consider are Black Friday was a shopping extravaganza this year (more than last year I heard) and also, this is the longest running time of the Potter franchise so far. This could in turn offset the increase for Black Friday this year and in turn may translate to a smaller drop or even stay flat OR even increase a bit today. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think it has a shot to be closer to 60 million than you think. ;)

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:16 pm
You must have big rats

Derailed is too low.

;)

No, it's not. It dropped 80% from Thursday. What did you expect?

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Lecter, I rarely disagree with your analysis, but I believe Potter won't drop today either. Some points to consider are Black Friday was a shopping extravaganza this year (more than last year I heard) and also, this is the longest running time of the Potter franchise so far. This could in turn offset the increase for Black Friday this year and in turn may translate to a smaller drop or even stay flat OR even increase a bit today. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think it has a shot to be closer to 60 million than you think. ;)

Well, let's hope you are right then because that would be:

1. Good for my prediction ($61.8 million)

2. Good for my total gross projection

3. Good for my argument with DP07

4. Good for the movie which I liked.

So let's hope I am wrong and you are not. But I doubt it. BTW, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets had a longer running time, I believe by 5 minutes or something like that.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

I think you are being overly optimistic. :shades:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

ooo, you're right Chamber of Secrets does seem to be longer, my bad. No wonder that movie felt like it plodded, though I do think the movies seem to get more entertaining and enjoyable after each installment (I share the same feelings about the books too). Yeah I predicted a too-high 63 million also for the derby, but if it stays near your projection, that's good for our total gross predictions (I predicted 100/270 million before the opening) ;)

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:29 pm
Extraordinary

MCN has Syriana earned $0.13M on Friday in 5 theaters. That will translate to a $0.3M weekend at least for a spectacular $60,000 PTA.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I don't think Potter will drop today either. The rule saying that it will is based on family movies but Goblet is more along the lines of LOTR as Harry gets older. He's not 10 anymore.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I don't think Potter will drop today either. The rule saying that it will is based on family movies but Goblet is more along the lines of LOTR as Harry gets older. He's not 10 anymore.

finally someone else gets it. :-) it's no longer a kiddie film.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:45 pm
You must have big rats

ooo, you're right Chamber of Secrets does seem to be longer, my bad. No wonder that movie felt like it plodded, though I do think the movies seem to get more entertaining and enjoyable after each installment (I share the same feelings about the books too). Yeah I predicted a too-high 63 million also for the derby, but if it stays near your projection, that's good for our total gross predictions (I predicted 100/270 million before the opening) ;)

For the movies, I definitely agree, for the books, I think the series peaked with the 4th, but the 5th and the 6th are still better than the first two.

Then again, even if it makes "only" $54-55 million over the weekend, it will still make it to at elast $270 million in total and that is fine by me.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

It isn't just family movies that fall on TG saturday. 2002's Die Another Day (the highest grossing 'adult' movie that weekend) fell on Saturday. So did other older skewing movies that year. 2003's Master and Commander fell Sat.

And Potter's at a much higher point than any of those, has a frontloading effect, and still skews younger than those movies.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I just think that because this Potter film is so much better than the others that there is less of a chance of it dropping. I think it will clear 60 mill for the weekend and it will have no problem clearling 300 mill. Quality does count for something and a film like this one will get people like me into the theater maybe twice. I didn't like any of the Potter films all that much but this one has a darker tone and there is more story to it. I'll be seeing it again. Plus, the slate of films this weekend geared towards kids are pretty weak so Potter will benefit from that.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I just think that because this Potter film is so much better than the others that there is less of a chance of it dropping. I think it will clear 60 mill for the weekend and it will have no problem clearling 300 mill. Quality does count for something and a film like this one will get people like me into the theater maybe twice. I didn't like any of the Potter films all that much but this one has a darker tone and there is more story to it. I'll be seeing it again. Plus, the slate of films this weekend geared towards kids are pretty weak so Potter will benefit from that.

I don't think that Potter is really THAT much more liked than Prisoner of Azkaban. You might not like it, but I think that it was generally very well-liked.

Anyway, I hope the best for it.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

potter will earn probably about 23-24 on saturday then 16-17 for 60 weekend million. either way, itll be at about 210 million after 10 days. im going on record for that if potter drops under 47% it is a LOCK for 300 million and if it drops under 42% its lock to outgross the first.

plut potters 40 million friday, this might be a 46% drop, but then again add in how extremely frontloaded its opening day was with pre ticket sales, midnight screenings which this friday didnt have. under the same circumstancs as yesterday(no midnight/presales) potter would of opened to about 31-34 million. compared to that, this 22 million signals vey very strong word of mouth for potter, i thinks.

also, azkaban had a multiplier of 2.7. its opening day gross was what it got in second wekend. goblet of fire will earn a lot more then 40 this weekend, so we can expect that multplier to be way over 2.7. more then likely ovber 3 and past the 3.15 it needs to pass sorcerors stone.

so basically, at this point, 300 millions the least itll get, with id say 350 the tip top.

also, that is fantastic four yours mine and ours, its 5 day could be over 25 million, which is quite the feat against potter. incredible drop for wtl.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:59 pm
Mod Team Leader

You might say that the WOM for POA was strong, but it's multiplier indicated otherwise...this one is already tracking ahead of poa, so look for it to kill the total gross....it will pass 300 and possibley 330.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next