Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Doom: What Went Wrong? 
College Boy Z

I haven't been here all day, so I just finished reading this thread. And, um, whoever said that I didn't admit that I was wrong and Maverikk, Libs, and everyone else was right needs to re-read my first post in this thread.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:23 pm
College Boy Z

andaroo wrote:
I don't think you are really in a position this week to tell anybody their theories are stupid. Honestly.

agreed. Zingy you are going overboard, and its quite sad. The vaginal wash thing was a sarcastic remark i make about men in their early 20s who fascination for films derive from CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK or any Ice Cube film. You were down right pathetic in your excuses for SAW 2 stealing no 1 next week. Dr Lecter you too. Seriously, you 2 are screwing between the sheets or something.

However, this is a box office site. You can make predictions, most often your wrong.

BTW, Maverick great introduction.

Um, yeah, we'll see if Zorro makes the $35 million you're predicting before we discuss who's "most often wrong" when it comes to box-office predicting.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:30 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I haven't been here all day, so I just finished reading this thread. And, um, whoever said that I didn't admit that I was wrong and Maverikk, Libs, and everyone else was right needs to re-read my first post in this thread.

Yes, you handled yourself well.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:09 pm
Lord of filth

You are right, I did misread it.

However you said we made a "good call", not that our arguments were justified. To me, two separate things.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Zingaling wrote:

However you said we made a "good call", not that our arguments were justified. To me, two separate things.

Don't have your cake and eat it too.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:28 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

I think it was jb007 who I was referring to (just checked), but okay. And, I didn't feel the need to praise your justifications when I admitted that you guys made good predictions.

But, for satisfaction? You were justified.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:32 pm
Veteran

How was my theory stupid? My prediction was overpredicted a lot, yeah, but it sure wasn't stupid. It's completely logical to think that fans of the video game would have come out to support this just like some other previous video game adaptations.

Just because there seems to be a lack of interest in the film doesn't mean my theory was "wrong."

Whatever.

This post certainly qualifies as a lame defense after the fact. Exactly the point I was making.

Just because you made only a couple of defensive posts compared to tens by the other two does not mean that you did not make any.

Last edited by jb007 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I was defending my case, yeah. I certainly thought (and still think) that my theory was justified. The flaw in my theory is comparing Doom to the successful R-rated horror/action flick, Resident Evil, and not looking at it as a stand alone film that might not generate enough public interest.

What's wrong with stating my reasons for my high prediction? As long as I admitted that I was wrong and that andaroo, Maverikk, and Libs were right, I don't see what the big deal is with stating my reason for why I predicted so high.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:48 pm
Veteran

I was defending my case, yeah. I certainly thought (and still think) that my theory was justified. The flaw in my theory is comparing Doom to the successful R-rated horror/action flick, Resident Evil, and not looking at it as a stand alone film that might not generate enough public interest.

What's wrong with stating my reasons for my high prediction? As long as I admitted that I was wrong and that andaroo, Maverikk, and Libs were right, I don't see what the big deal is with stating my reason for why I predicted so high.

Obviously you do not read your own posts. You specifically say that your "theory" is not wrong.

You posted this after admitting that Mav and libs were correct.

You admitted that they were right and later proclaimed that your "theory" was not wrong.

Which is it?

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Look, I don't believe that my theory was wrong. I do believe that gamers went out to see this movie. What I overpredicted was the number of gamers who would go. My theory was not "every single Doom fan will see Doom opening weekend." My theory was that "Doom fans would support it."

Am I wrong? No. I'm still sure that a lot of the audience that went to Doom were gamers and/or fans of the actual Doom video game. What I wasn't right about was the number of gamers/fans that would go, hence my prediction being too high, which lead me to be off and Mav to be right.

Jeeze.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:57 pm
Veteran

The flawed "theory" is what led to the actual bad prediction. Your theory cannot be right if one of its paramaters is wrong. The number of gamers watching IS the variable that needed to be correct for your theory to work and it was not.

Anyway, no need to get defensive about your theory. Just lose this gracefully without further defense of the failed Doom theory.

Some of your theories for other movies have worked. You win some and lose some.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

getluv wrote:
andaroo wrote:
I don't think you are really in a position this week to tell anybody their theories are stupid. Honestly.

agreed. Zingy you are going overboard, and its quite sad. The vaginal wash thing was a sarcastic remark i make about men in their early 20s who fascination for films derive from CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK or any Ice Cube film. You were down right pathetic in your excuses for SAW 2 stealing no 1 next week. Dr Lecter you too. Seriously, you 2 are screwing between the sheets or something.

However, this is a box office site. You can make predictions, most often your wrong.

BTW, Maverick great introduction.

Um, yeah, we'll see if Zorro makes the $35 million you're predicting before we discuss who's "most often wrong" when it comes to box-office predicting.

Well at least I haven't started a thread and accused people of being pathetic.

BTW, get help.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:16 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Zingaling wrote:
andaroo wrote:

How was my theory stupid? My prediction was overpredicted a lot, yeah, but it sure wasn't stupid. It's completely logical to think that fans of the video game would have come out to support this just like some other previous video game adaptations.

Just because there seems to be a lack of interest in the film doesn't mean my theory was "wrong."

Whatever.

I think where you may have gone wrong, Zingy, is comparing this to the other video game "adaptations." Resident Evil and its ilk were clearly more appealing to a wider audience than this was.

Plus, Resident Evil and Resident Evil II had Paul "The Man" Anderson behind them to give them that extra added boost, both as Producer for the 2nd one and director or the 1st film.. Should've called "The Man" to Direct DOOM... :tongue:

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:03 am
Profile WWW

Look, I don't believe that my theory was wrong. I do believe that gamers went out to see this movie. What I overpredicted was the number of gamers who would go. My theory was not "every single Doom fan will see Doom opening weekend." My theory was that "Doom fans would support it."

Am I wrong? No. I'm still sure that a lot of the audience that went to Doom were gamers and/or fans of the actual Doom video game. What I wasn't right about was the number of gamers/fans that would go, hence my prediction being too high, which lead me to be off and Mav to be right.

Jeeze.

You were wrong and it shouldn't take 5 pages to fully admit this.. It happens.. Look how wrong I am when it comes to this sort of thing?? Rarely do I get any of these predictions right..

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Plus, Resident Evil and Resident Evil II had Paul "The Man" Anderson behind them to give them that extra added boost, both as Producer for the 2nd one and director or the 1st film.. Should've called "The Man" to Direct DOOM... :tongue:

That's the best reason I've heard yet, BKB.

What went wrong?

They didn't hire Paul "The Man" Anderson to direct.

:lol:

Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:26 am
College Boy Z

DID ONLY MAV READ MY FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD WHERE I SAID THAT I WAS WRONG AND THEY WERE RIGHT?

:wacko:

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:46 am

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:49 am
New Server, Same X

BKB_The_Man wrote:

That's the best reason I've heard yet, BKB.

What went wrong?

They didn't hire Paul "The Man" Anderson to direct.

:lol:

No no no no! They didn't hire Paul "The Man" and Uwe Boll to direct! If they did... wow... this would have been HUGE. Like... HUUUUUGE!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:57 am
College Boy Z

"The Man" directed Resident Evil and that barely broke $17 million. :tongue:

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:00 am
problem?

Yeah, but it was a zombie movie, and the first one to get a major release in a while at that time. It did revive the zombie genre, afterall.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:05 pm
College Boy Z

"I'm happy to be No. 1," said Universal's head of distribution, Nikki Rocco, "but saddened that the marketplace is depressed," noting that Doom's start was a "little lower" than her expectations. The studio's exit polling indicated that 69 percent of the audience was male, 61 percent was under the age of 25, and 59 percent had played the game before.

I thought that was interesting. Almost 60% of the audiences have played the game. My theory wasn't too far off, was it?

Just thought I'd mention that, heh. I know I'm still wrong, though.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:25 pm

"The Man" directed Resident Evil and that barely broke $17 million. :tongue:

Yeah but it still beat DOOM though and that's what counts.. I say call "The Man" up to Direct the sequel... :tongue:

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Squee

What went wrong!? Just wait till its legs kick in and it makes well over 100 million!

Do I hear a "The Ring" like run!?

I THINK I DO!

:cry:

:glare:

Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:59 pm
Lord of filth

My theory wasn't too far off, was it?

It doesn't say anything about your theory.

The question was about if the people have played the game, which should pretty much be half of all white males between 20 and 30 in the country.

The question wasn't (and should have been) "Did you come see the movie because you played the game".

I mean, I played the game, and I went to see Good Night, and Good Luck instead.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5