Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Weekend Estimates 
Extraordinary

I don't understand the "sad for wallace" sentiments. This is going to have some great legs hopefully, and will be a monster overseas, especially in the UK. It's already done solid business in Australia.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

By the way, I like you, when did you start posting?
O wrote:
I don't understand the "sad for wallace" sentiments. This is going to have some great legs hopefully, and will be a monster overseas, especially in the UK.

It's sad for me to see Gromit flounder a bit while this year's other animated output has been far, far, far, far, far more disappointing in terms of... watchability.

It gives the studios permission to back horrid projects like Shark Tale or Madagascar or Robots because it seems like they've been given a mandate from the audiences to produce such features.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

By the way, I like you, when did you start posting?
O wrote:
I don't understand the "sad for wallace" sentiments. This is going to have some great legs hopefully, and will be a monster overseas, especially in the UK.

It's sad for me to see Gromit flounder a bit while this year's other animated output has been far, far, far, far, far more disappointing in terms of... watchability.

It gives the studios permission to back horrid projects like Shark Tale or Madagascar or Robots because it seems like they've been given a mandate from the audiences to produce such features.

I viewed the threads starting a couple of months ago on and off, but started posted more about a month and a half ago.

And yes, I don't know HOW Madagascar has made half a billion.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I viewed the threads starting a couple of months ago on and off, but started posted more about a month and a half ago.

And yes, I don't know HOW Madagascar has made half a billion.

Simple. People decide for themselves what is a good or funny movie rather than listen to some dumbass critic or internet know it all. If you haven't figured that out yet, there will be a lot more of these "I don't how's".

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Disappointing opening for W & G but it's bound to have great legs and pass 70-80 million.

Decent for Waiting considering it likely didn't cost much at all and will make alot on DVD, like 'Office Space.' It was really funny.

Expected for Two for the Money considering the lower than expected theatre count (2300+).

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:17 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Serenity had a hard drop because of its first Friday, which was hugely inflated due to its (admittedly small, but devout) fanbase. It was never going to post stellar numbers this week (barring a miracle), the best it could've hoped for was 45-50%.

It's probably worth noting that the saturday drop week to week was only 39%. Hopefully the Sunday drop Universal are projecting is balderdash, though at this point anything's possible.

Again, at least we got a great film out of it. It's just a shame that so many people missed out.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:28 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Wow, i nearly nailed Serenity and Waiting :O

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Flightplan is the real winner of the weekend, along with The Gospel. Never expected the former to have better legs than Panic Room. That one opened to $30 million, but struggled to $95 million. This one opened to worse reviews and over $5 million less and will still finish with a multiplier of around 3.5 and a gross of $85 million. The Gospel's gross was expected (I actually expected even more), but thzat doesn't change that it's great. The total should be at around $20-23 million which is amazing.

Wallace & Gromit did pretty well. A total gross of $65+ million is a lock, I'd say.

In Her Shoes opened disappointingly, however you turn it, but legs will carry it to $40 million.

Good Night, and Good Luck actually had an amazing opening PTA, we should see a decent gross from that one.

March of the Penguins had its first huge drop, probably due to losing over 50% of its theatres and another family flick in the marketplace. No $80 million for this one anymore, but $78 million should be in store.

Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride held up very very well despite direct competiton. It will definitely cross $50 million now and actually end up with $57-60 million.

The Greatest Game ever played makes one wonder why they didn't release it in wide release right away, but in any case the expansion worked so far. They will probably add another 100-200 theatres next weekend. It will top out with a healthy total of around $20 million which is great for the genre.

Proof's expansion strategy works out really well too. Its PTA is still above $3,000 it seems. It will add another 200 theatres or so the upcoming weekend. If it actually gets some buzz later in the awards season, we might get a $20+ million grosser. One thing for sure, it is not another The Human Stain.

Horrible, but expected drop for Roll Bounce. It is already profitable by now, I suppose and it will end close to $20 million too.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I think the problem with this weak frame is that so many films have been released in the past week or two that there is no room for any one movie to break out because screen space is so tight, partially explaining lower-than-expected grosses for films like Serenity and In Her Shoes.

September 30 saw four wide releases and October 7 saw five, there's just too much product and not enough room for all of it. The same problem seems like it will continue for the rest of the month.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:39 am
Award Winning Bastard

A History of Violence should have expanded. I think In Her Shoes deserved better. It's never dull, interesting characters, great performances, but it's about girls. The movie still kicks ass. I think it'll have really good WOM.

Jodie rules, doesn't she?

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:22 am
Indiana Jones IV

Personally I feel that W&G did better than expected. The marketing campaign has been piss-poor, and it has been an uphill battle for the film because of that. But now that is has a solid opening I think it can really achieve great legs and get a multiplier of at least over 4, and maybe over 5. That would mean a 80+ million gross...

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I think the problem with this weak frame is that so many films have been released in the past week or two that there is no room for any one movie to break out because screen space is so tight, partially explaining lower-than-expected grosses for films like Serenity and In Her Shoes.

September 30 saw four wide releases and October 7 saw five, there's just too much product and not enough room for all of it. The same problem seems like it will continue for the rest of the month.

I gotta really agree with Libs on this one. We don't have nearly as many of these movies that open to 1.5 million (or even smaller amounts) unless there's too much supply, and this certainly appears to be one of those times. There are 15 movies over 1.5 million, 15! And 13 of those are over 2.5 million! Next week may only have three releases, of which only one has the potential to break out, but then in the next two weeks there are nine new wide releases, ten if you include Good Night, and Good Luck.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Personally I feel that W&G did better than expected. The marketing campaign has been piss-poor, and it has been an uphill battle for the film because of that. But now that is has a solid opening I think it can really achieve great legs and get a multiplier of at least over 4, and maybe over 5. That would mean a 80+ million gross...

No offense folks, but where are we getting this 80 Million plus gross for a movie like this that opened at 16 Million??? Next weekend, it will drop 50% meaning it will get around 8 Million and from that point on, it's downhill the rest of the way, especially with The FOG coming out next weekend I think(which will suck being PG-13).. I know I'll hear the usual I don't know box office and BS,(Nor do I care if I don't) but I just don't see this movie getting no 80 Million off a 16 Million opening..

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The best thing about Wallace & Gromit's number is that it proves how great The Corpse Bride's opening was. Less theaters, worse reviews, PG rating, and yet it made $3m more than W&G.

Very disappointing for In Her Shoes. The Wedding Date & Must Love Dogs had better openings despite less theaters and worse reviews, and no Columbus day. I guess Diaz doesn't deserve $15-20m a picture anymore.

The biggest surprise this weekend has to be Waiting. I never expected a higher PTA than The Girl Next Door & Harold & Kumar.

IMO, Serenity is like a mini Batman Begins. After the relatively disappointing opening, everyone predicted a far bigger drop, but it seems the great WoM prevented that.

A History of Violence dropped much harder than I expected. I guess the WoM isn't as good as Mystic River.

And I just can't understand why Into The Blue's hold was that good. Maybe all the teens rushed to see Serenity in its first weekend, so they didn't have time to see ItB.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:27 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I have said it before and I see myself proven...Diaz is not a big draw.

A History of Violence...as I said..the director is just not mainstream enough to have a huge hit. It will end up with over $30 million and that is already a very respectable gross for it, methinks.

And as for overload? C'mon! There have been plenty of weekends with 4-5 $20+ million grossers. That is not an excuse.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:18 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Tuukka wrote:

No offense folks, but where are we getting this 80 Million plus gross for a movie like this that opened at 16 Million??? Next weekend, it will drop 50% meaning it will get around 8 Million and from that point on, it's downhill the rest of the way, especially with The FOG coming out next weekend I think(which will suck being PG-13).. I know I'll hear the usual I don't know box office and BS,(Nor do I care if I don't) but I just don't see this movie getting no 80 Million off a 16 Million opening..

Next weekend it will drop far less than 50%, are you insane?

It will make at least $60 million.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:19 am
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I'm very glad for Flightplan. It had a very impressive drop. Corpse Bride is also holding up pretty well. I expected In Her Shoes to do a little better, but it still did good. Wallace & Gromit was the real surprise for me. I really thought it was going to be a bomb.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3