Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Friday Numbers! 
Iron Man

Solid numbers mostly, but nothing special!

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:25 pm
Extraordinary

Good for Greatest Game Ever Played (relatively speaking). It added 800 theaters, up to 1800, and went up 2% from last friday.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Wallace and Gromit $14.5m
Flightplan $10.8m
In Her Shoes $9m
Two for the Money $8.7m
The Gospel $8.5m
Corpse Bride $6.6m
Waiting $6m
A History of Violence $5.4m
Into the Blue $5.1m
Serenity $5m
Greatest Game Ever Played $4m
Just Like Heaven $3.6m

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (A-)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (A-)
5. Sin City (A-)

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Solid for Flightplan. It will be at $60m after tomorrow. Last year's The Forgotten made 2.42x its third weekend after its third weekend, so if Flightplan makes $9.9m this weekend (my projection), it would finish with a solid $83m with The Forgotten's multiplier. Wow - leggier than Panic Room, despite worse reviews?

People like them some Jodie Foster!

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I'm glad Flightplan is doing superb. As for the others, the numbers are okay, nothing spectacular.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

I am happy with WAITING and THE GOSPEL. But the rest are all bleh. FLIGHTPLAN is doing excellent. IN HER SHOES is going to have trouble getting no 2. DreamWorks should stop distributing films, period!

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:02 pm
You must have big rats

My projections:

Wallace and Gromit $14.5m
Flightplan $10.8m
In Her Shoes $9m
Two for the Money $8.7m
The Gospel $8.5m
Corpse Bride $6.6m
Waiting $6m
A History of Violence $5.4m
Into the Blue $5.1m
Serenity $5m
Greatest Game Ever Played $4m
Just Like Heaven $3.6m

That's more like it!

But I'd give more to In Her Shoes, despite the chick flick factor. Around $9.6 million.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Wallace and Gromit will have excellent word of mouth, yesterday was a school day so less kids could see the movie opening day. This will have a great weekend multiplier.

No matter how many ways you want to put a spin on it and use the school day as an excuse for this movie not opening to high numbers, the fact is is that no one really cares about Wallace and Grommit based on these numbers.. I pegged this for 11 Million this weekend and looks like I might be close..

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:17 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Wallace & Gromit: The Cruse of the Were-Rabbit is off to a decent start, reflecting its start in Australia so far. Along with The Corpse Bride this movie will benefit the most from the Columbus Day. The weekend multiplier should be above 3.5 leading to a $14+ million weekend. There is pretty much not a single other film for the kids in October, maybe except for Dreamer and that is really going to help the movie's legs as well as the outstanding reviews and good WoM. I think we are definitely looking at a $60+ million total gross.

Flightplan is just doing amazingly. I KNEW it would make $10 million in its third weekend as well. Simply great legs, especially considering the rather bad WoM. The total gross should be around $85 million. The movie shows very well who among female stars is a true draw.

In Her Shoes' start is really disappointing, in my opinion, especially after the great sneaks turn-outs. However, I still think the legs should be really good. After the weekend gross of about $9.5 million, the total gross should be around $40 million.

Two for the Money - decent start, as expected. Should top out with a total of $25-30 million, though.

The Gospel's opening is amazing. Sunday should be really great. It should make at least $8 million over the weekend and $20+ million in total.

Waiting is on course to a decent opening for a small-released teenage gross-out comedy. A weekend gross of $6 milion will lead to a $15 million total.

Serenity won't have a huge drop as expected, might even be just around 50%. The total gross will be around $25-26 million.

A History ov Violence's Friday increase is a bit disappointing, as I expected something along the lines of Mystic River's 180%. Still, it'll result in a weekend drop of 35% and will lead tot a total gross of about $33-35 million, unless there will be some award buzz later on in its run.

Just like Heaven is a lock for $50 million, but it won't get far beyond that.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:41 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

In her Shoes has to go further than $40m.

Either way I think the past two years have really hammered in some home truths about female lead films on the back of one woman star.

It really sucks because women bring a whole array of amazing qualities to a film - but its evident that the market needs various variables added into the projects for them to succeed.

Which is why Im saying now that "Catch and Release" next april will do similarly to 13 Going on 30. Actresses must realise that even if taking the single lead in a movie is challenging and will garner you respect - it also puts a big dampener on appeal which is mainly limited to your die hard core.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:48 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Spider-Man wrote:
Wallace and Gromit will have excellent word of mouth, yesterday was a school day so less kids could see the movie opening day. This will have a great weekend multiplier.

No matter how many ways you want to put a spin on it and use the school day as an excuse for this movie not opening to high numbers, the fact is is that no one really cares about Wallace and Grommit based on these numbers.. I pegged this for 11 Million this weekend and looks like I might be close..

I pegged it at $16 million, which will be a lot closer.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Flightplan is just doing amazingly. I KNEW it would make $10 million in its third weekend as well. Simply great legs, especially considering the rather bad WoM. The total gross should be around $85 million. The movie shows very well who among female stars is a true draw.

I don't think it has bad WOM, especially outside of the internet. This is a clone of The Forgotten, where it's mostly hated on the internet for its ridiculous ending, yet people are lovin' it anyways. Flightplan's twist is so un-twist-like, I don't think people care, and just like the movie overall.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:53 am
Horror Hound

Clearly, FLIGHTPLANS word of mouth, isn't bad. Or else it would have dropped like a rock.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 am
Hot Fuss

My thoughts on the Friday numbers...

That doesn't make any sense. Why is it holding up so well if the WoM is sooo toxic? Oh, wait. It isn't.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Dark Knight

Which is why Im saying now that "Catch and Release" next april will do similarly to 13 Going on 30. Actresses must realise that even if taking the single lead in a movie is challenging and will garner you respect - it also puts a big dampener on appeal which is mainly limited to your die hard core.

I see what you did there. :tongue:

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (A-)
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (A-)
5. Sin City (A-)

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

In her Shoes has to go further than $40m.

Either way I think the past two years have really hammered in some home truths about female lead films on the back of one woman star.

It really sucks because women bring a whole array of amazing qualities to a film - but its evident that the market needs various variables added into the projects for them to succeed.

Hmmm, Michael, shall I bump your comment about me underpredicting Cameron Diaz' starpower and this movie in general?

Next weekend, I'll also bump your comment about me severely underpredicting Domino

:tongue: :tongue:

Also, Catch and Release doesn't seem as commercial to me as 13 Going on 30 did. It would need really amazing reviews, but the opening won't be as big in any case.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3