Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Release pattern for Get Rich or Die Tryin' (Nov. 9) 
Lord of filth

I was thinking more of screen counts. Get rich is definately counter programming. If you were going to go 2500 theaters, it really depends on how wide Bee Season, The Family Stone and Derailed are going, with Jarhead and the misc. Halloween movies still in circulation.

One just can't release a 2500 screen film anytime you want.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Exactly. bABA sees it too! 8 Mile was marketed like there was no tomorrow, to multiple demographics and many different audiences.

I do not know why 50 Cent's movie is not, but it is not reaching audiences that are not closer to the core demographic.

8 miles' success goes a lot beyond marketing. 8 miles was eminem, this is 50 cents. now you may say that both were equally popular in their time but popularity isn't the only thing that eminem had going for him when the film came out .. and that my friends, is probably the biggest difference. not to say 50 cents won't open big but .. meh .. he can't match 8 mile.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

I'm not saying Get Rich will equal 8 Mile, but is Get Rich have that much less going for it? I mean Maverikk is sounding like 10-11 mil for its opening, while 8 Mile gets 50 mil? 5x less? Thats seems a little extreme. I think with proper theatres it'll have a shot at 40 mil.

Quote:
And all these arguments and Get Rich could also be attributed to 8 Mile 3 years ago. How did that movie open to 50 mil then? Huh? I don't see why this wouldn't have almost the same situation.

dont know about you . .but that sounds like you're making them comparible

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I think the fandom of Eminem had much less to do with the success of 8 Mile than people give it credit for. Like you say, it was a whole package deal.

I do acknowledge that Eminem is on a completely alternate plane of awareness and reality than 50 Cent is, but it's hard to be *that* successful

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:
andaroo wrote:
November 9th doesn't seems to be a good release date for this. It's a HUGE weekend... Zathura, Derailed, Bee Season, The Family Stone.

Other than Derailed which won't open big anyways, none of those are close to the same demographic.

Then what you're saying is that it won't be able to sell outside it's demographic because all the other films being released cover them?

Zathura-KIDS.

Bee Season-Quiet people. Academic loving people. Professors.

Family Stone-Its a comedy. Should bring in your females, your McAdam's loving teenagers, your group warming up to holidays, your dates and husbands/wives.

Not. Even. Close. No competition.

Can you a imigane a gangsta' thug going to Zathura, Bee Season, or Family Stone? Yeah, I can't either.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:47 pm
Commander and Chef

Maverikk wrote:
Shack wrote:
andaroo wrote:
November 9th doesn't seems to be a good release date for this. It's a HUGE weekend... Zathura, Derailed, Bee Season, The Family Stone.

Other than Derailed which won't open big anyways, none of those are close to the same demographic.

Then what you're saying is that it won't be able to sell outside it's demographic because all the other films being released cover them?

Zathura-KIDS.

Family Stone-Its a comedy. Should bring in your females, your McAdam's loving teenagers, your group warming up to holidays, your dates and husbands/wives.

Not. Even. Close. No competition.

Can you a imigane a gangsta' thug going to Zathura, Bee Season, or Family Stone? Yeah, I can't either.

so you're saying that only gangsta thugs will go see get rich? cause if thats ywhat you're saying, i'm pretty sure they won't be bringing in a lot of money.

they're also thugs. they dont pay for nuthin. which means lower box office :biggrin:

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

There's no cross over audience... there's not a lot of money to be made.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

so you're saying that only gangsta thugs will go see get rich? cause if thats ywhat you're saying, i'm pretty sure they won't be bringing in a lot of money.

they're also thugs. they dont pay for nuthin. which means lower box office :biggrin:

Is that what he was saying? I thought that's what he was saying, but I'm a little drunk, so I was a bit slow on the uptake.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:51 pm
Lord of filth

Besides, everybody knows that O.G's love Richard Gere.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Not just gangsta thugs. Also every other kind of black person, as well as your average joe white man who likes action-violence movies, and the entire young male situation. Also with that is their girlfriends, and some girls who like movies like that. I mean its the only movie of that genre(action/violence/reality) that weekend next to Derailed, which is more psychological thriller anyways. It has no other competition for the demos it is batting for that weekend. Theres no way either kids or professors or your average feminine girl and wife/comedic lover would be going to this movie anyways, we already knew that.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:55 pm
Lord of filth

Not just gangsta thugs. Also every other kind of black person, as well as your average joe white man who likes action-violence movies, and the entire young male situation. Also with that is their girlfriends, and some girls who like movies like that. I mean its the only movie of that genre(action/violence/reality) that weekend next to Derailed, which is more psychological thriller anyways. It has no other competition for the demos it is batting for that weekend. Theres no way either kids or professors or your average feminine girl and wife/comedic lover would be going to this movie anyways, we already knew that.

I don't see how you could possibly post something like this when you just posted this:

Quote:
Zathura-KIDS.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

just to let people know where i stand.

get rich will pull an audience. could even do well.

but reasons why it'll never be an 8 mile type hit. these points are interelated

1) 50 cent is popular. thats it. nothing more. if people like him, they like him for his music. sure, they might like him too but theres nothing that compelling about the person. his music is number 1 and thats all he has going for him.
eminem was popular. freaking popular. he was also white. white rapper .. man .. not the vanilla ice kind, but the thuggish kind .. and the kid was scrawny. thats some wild shit. on top of that, kid was controversial. people liked him music but an entire demographic loved the man himself for what people call (his freedom of expression", called him a hero. others hated him for that very reason. why is this so important? look at reason 2

2) that year, people were tlaking about gimmicky singers trying to make it on the big screen. they were laughed at. then the news of eminem came out. they made even more fun of him. it was even more entertaining cause he was gonna base it on his life .. hell ... he was gonna TRY to make an actual movie. it was the butt of quite a few jokes ... till the toronto film fest happened. the raving began, oscar rumors came out ... why is this so important. because people got a reality check. there might actually be something here. those who hate him want to see it either to be proven wrong, or to give him a second chance or find out what the fuss is all about. hate him or love him, everyone WANTED to see this ..
now 50 cents can get little oscar rumors too but today, it'll pass more so for a gimmick .. than anything else. back then, it was just different.

these are 2 htings 50 cent cannot have to get more people in. 8 mile tapped into demographics that a normal hip hop centered movie wouldn't even have a chance of tapping.

total gross for get rich: 50 cents (yes, this is the second time i'm making this joke)

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Shack wrote:

I don't see how you could possibly post something like this when you just posted this:

Quote:
Zathura-KIDS.

Lecter and Zingy have got to be wishing he'd quit "helping" by this point. :lol:

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:02 pm
Commander and Chef

then you're admitting that the other movies CAN and will take some of its audience away. every black man can also be a family man, whos quiet and is academically inclined. he also got kids who he takes to movies. you mentioned girlfriends and others .. well .. they also go watch family stone. the average white young male that you mention could also very well go see bee season and/or family stone.

so really, the demographic is in challenge. no direct competition yes but competition nevertheless. also remember that the release of multiple movies automatically limits the number of screens any film can get .. even if released in only a thousand theatres.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

total gross for get rich: 50 cents (yes, this is the second time i'm making this joke)

So your opinion is that he will Die Tryin' :nutso:

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

i was sort of defending lecter and zingy till shack showed up .. hehehe ... no hard feelings shack .. but this is fun .. you forced me into this argument .. i was gonna make one post and then shut up.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:

Quote:
Zathura-KIDS.

Why not? I thought I made it clear. Zathura brings kids, Bee Season brings your intellectual and professors, Family Stone brings your women and young McAdam's loving 12-13 year olds. Get Rich's audience to begin with would not be getting any tickets from them anyways, so the competition on that weekend is negatory.

EDIT-Generally brings them. You could argue for every genre/demographic that there are cross-overs, but here Get Rich has generally not even close to similar movies opening that weekend, so in general it has its gunned down audience all to itself.

Last edited by Shack on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:06 pm
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

So your opinion is that he will Die Tryin' :nutso:

naah ... even if he makes 50 cents, thats would leave him richer than i am.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Why not? I thought I made it clear. Zathura brings kids, Bee Season brings your intellectual and professors, Family Stone brings your women and young McAdam's loving 12-13 year olds. Get Rich's audience to begin with would not be getting any tickets from them anyways, so the competition on that weekend is negatory.

Why not? Because, as bABA explained, you give Get Rich and Die Tryin' a rich cornacopia of an audience but limit all of these other films to clearly defined boundries?

It's blatantly hypocritical.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Andaroo, if we use your logic, then there would be no possible need for the word demographic. Every movie would be known to cross-tread? Why do we even use demographic? The point is that on that weekend, the other 3 openers have subject matters that are as far away from Get Rich as possible. Which is the definition of a different demographic.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:13 pm
I'm Batman

Everyone seems to be tip-toeing around a sensitive subject in this thread.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Commander and Chef

Andaroo, if we use your logic, then there would be no possible need for the word demographic. Every movie would be known to cross-tread? Why do we even use demographic? The point is that on that weekend, the other 3 openers have subject matters that are as far away from Get Rich as possible. Which is the definition of a different demographic.

shack .. you're missing the entire point.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Everyone seems to be tip-toeing around a sensitive subject in this thread.

no ones tiptoeing .. we all know what it is .. we've all acknowledged it. its a movie that ppeals more to blacks. its also a thug movie. its also a movie catered to an audience that may be considered rowdy by many. its catered to the audience who maybe be wannabe, thinks its cool, and thus picks fights with one another. hence the security. hence everything.

stereotypes, generalizations ... wrong or right .. irelevant to me .. but if anyones thinking that the security thing mentioned there is true, then there is no other reason than that ...

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Andaroo, if we use your logic, then there would be no possible need for the word demographic. Every movie would be known to cross-tread?

Definately not. Get Rich can be a success with $40 million total. But we're not talking about quality, we're talking about appeal.

Quote:
Why do we even use demographic?

Because studio marketers do and they have a lot of power in this.

Quote:
The point is that on that weekend, the other 3 openers have subject matters that are as far away from Get Rich as possible. Which is the definition of a different demographic.

Which doesn't help Get Rich attract more people from those "other demographics". Which doesn't help Get Rich... get rich!

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I've re-read, and I kind'vvee seen what I missed before. Still, the competition shouldn't really hurt it.

*shushes*

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next