Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Katrina effect on the B.O 
No Wire Tampons!

Michael wrote:
I still cant help but laugh when Americans call their current gas prices awful. Kneejerk reaction.

But im still not sure of how much this will affect weekend grosses. Theres easily 5 million americans who will have 0 interest in seeing a movie this weekend, or arent able to.

You try paying $45 for a tank of gas and then you can laugh at us Americans and our kneejerk reactions.

Your talking to a Brit. Enough said.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Libs wrote:
Michael wrote:
I still cant help but laugh when Americans call their current gas prices awful. Kneejerk reaction.

But im still not sure of how much this will affect weekend grosses. Theres easily 5 million americans who will have 0 interest in seeing a movie this weekend, or arent able to.

You try paying $45 for a tank of gas and then you can laugh at us Americans and our kneejerk reactions.

Your talking to a Brit. Enough said.

That doesn't mean a single thing.

We still pay more to travel then you. Enough said.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I pay £8.50 to get to college daily. [$15.41]
If i was driving id be easily paying more than £10[$18] a day.
Cars are more expensive here. Tax is more expensive. Public Transport is more expensive Insurance is more expensive, Fuel is far, far far more expensive - and yet you pay more than us? Is your reasoning that you travel further due to the size of your country - because newsflash; UK has heavily congested roads and people travel a long way to and from work every day. I spend 1 and a half hours on a bus to travel a distance which; if the roads were clear and straight like Americas transport network would take me no longer than half an hour.

Americans take very little into account when it concerns things they are so rabidly territorial about; and Zack..well you just plain like being the victim of the worst of everything :D

I'm the first one to let people have a good moan where its merrited; but Americans a word to the wise - your fuel is still probobly the cheapest in any western country; complaining about it is simply frustrating the rest of us on a subject weve grudgingly kept quiet on until now. Hush up and cough up.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I don't have time for this.

Michael, you just dont get it. And we DO NOT pay that much less than you.

Whoever gave you the idea that our traffic is nice is a big fat liar, too.

Last edited by Maximus on Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

You're talking about our "kneejerk reaction" to the sudden increase of gas prices. Have your gas prices drastically changed for the worse lately? In a matter of a few days, do you find yourself paying a lot more than you were a few days ago?

Of course we're going to have a dramatic reaction to the new price. We're paying freakin' $20-25 more per fill up, and that happened in a matter of two to three days. So, I doubt you can relate to that at the moment.

We won't hush up.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:42 pm
No Wire Tampons!

That's not the point, though.

You're talking about our "kneejerk reaction" to the sudden increase of gas prices. Have your gas prices drastically changed for the worse lately? In a matter of a few days, do you find yourself paying a lot more than you were a few days ago?

Of course we're going to have a dramatic reaction to the new price. We're paying freakin' $20-25 more per fill up, and that happened in a matter of two to three days. So, I doubt you can relate to that at the moment.

We won't hush up.

Actually; the UK fuel prices regularly spike several pence upwards; infact we are up 9.1p a gallon right now for Diesel alone from last month. I think the less i say about America and their stance of fuel the better; because it involves some pretty strong opinons that probobly aren't the best idea on a predominantly American forum.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

We won't hush up.

Actually; the UK fuel prices regularly spike several pence upwards; infact we are up 9.1p a gallon right now for Diesel alone from last month. I think the less i say about America and their stance of fuel the better; because it involves some pretty strong opinons that probobly aren't the best idea on a predominantly American forum.

So, you're saying that other countries do not respond at all to the spike of gas prices? Because I doubt that.

And, if it happens often, it's easier to adjust than here, where it hasnt jumped up this much in a long, long time.

I'm done, though. This is the wrong forum for this discussion. :tongue:

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:56 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Michael wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

We won't hush up.

So, you're saying that other countries do not respond at all to the spike of gas prices? Because I doubt that.

And, if it happens often, it's easier to adjust than here, where it hasnt jumped up this much in a long, long time.

I'm done, though. This is the wrong forum for this discussion. :tongue:

You aren't aware of the "UK Fuel Strikes" where juggernauts blockade various fuel plants across the UK until the prices drop? I see another one happening soon actually.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I wasn't aware, but if that's true, then how can you laugh at Americans for reacting to our gas price jump?

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:03 pm
Romosexual!

I wasn't aware, but if that's true, then how can you laugh at Americans for reacting to our gas price jump?

because he's a brit and can. :tongue:

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:08 pm
No Wire Tampons!

I think we Brits actually earn the right considering that we pay so much all the time and remain relatively quiet until they get obscene. Now they are approaching £1 a litre i can see a big thing coming again.

We pay obscene amounts of that on tax . I guess it just feels kind of cheeky that Americans get their fuel so damn cheaper than anywhere else through.....sometimes not entirely respectable methods, and when Yanks complain about prices that are STILL giantly cheaper than anywhere else its almost humourous.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Kneejerk reaction? The kneejerk reaction here is the ignorant brit above me. At least your government understands what the problem is and (along with the other Europeans) are kindly dumping gasoline on our market so that our economy doesn't tank.

The balance in every day life is being destroyed Michael. It's not about the *prices* it's about the *change*. And yes, the problem is very real.

If you pay more in general because of taxes then that's horrible, but that's your reality, and your system is set up around that. Some countries get benefits from taxes that we don't here. I don't know what the system is like there so I can't comment. If the difference in gas prices starts deeply effecting your economy then I would say that's a horrible situation as well.

Apples vs. Oranges. You have to look at the problem within the country and work from there, you can't compare one system to another without taking in all the variables.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:13 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Why do you armchair economists is the reason attendance is down 12%?? YTD?? Seems like the bigK's affect is lost in the bigger trend...

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2