Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Screen Counts & Crowd Reports For: September 2-5 
King Albert!

Sorry I'm late, but here are the screening positions.

Transporter
600 seater
600 seater
250 seater
(Very good)

Underclassmen
175 seater
110 seater
(What I expected from a 2 screener that will flop)

Constant Garndener
200 seater
(hmmmm)

Sound of Thunder
135 seater
(uh hmmmm).

40 Year Old Vigin
400 seater
400 seater

Brothers Grimm
300 seater
300 seater

Red Eye
250 seater
175 seater

Four Brothers
200 seater
150 seater

Cave
150 seater
150 seater

Skeleton Key
150 seater

Wedding Crashers
150 seater
150 seater

Deuce Bigelow
135 seater

Charlie and Stealth will share a 110 seater.

Valiant/Undiscovered, Dukes of Hazzard, Mantando/Dirty Deeds, Sky High, Island, Broken Flowers, Batman, and March of the Penguins will all be in, well, you know.

Also, I am working day shift this time, so you will only get matinee reports.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

It makes zero sense why your theatre is allotting two screens for Underclassman. You seem to concur as well because the film has been tracking horribly and only has minimal appeal at best.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:54 pm
King Albert!

It makes zero sense why your theatre is allotting two screens for Underclassman. You seem to concur as well because the film has been tracking horribly and only has minimal appeal at best.

First of all, it not all our desicion, it's also the studios. Beside, my theater was smart enough to put it in the smaller ones.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Joe wrote:

First of all, it not all our desicion, it's also the studios. Beside, my theater was smart enough to put it in the smaller ones.

Don't take what I said as a personal criticism, just a general musing on my part.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:19 pm
Extraordinary

From HSX (21 people at Mercado for the 12:45PM show is actually not bad):

A Sound Of Thunder theater report (no spoilers)
-- Pinhead (aka "ceregon"), Sep 2, 18:50
AMC Mercado 20, Silicon Valley, 12:45pm
21 people in a 300 seat auditorium

Ever since the Hellraiser movies came out it’s been harder and harder to find adventurous souls willing to indulge in extreme activities. I figured what better place to find jaded, masochistic film fans than at the opening day of A Sound of Thunder—a movie that has been delayed more times than Mindhunters and has more bad press than Waterworld. There were far more people here than I anticipated, but I managed to give them all their very own special puzzle box. I told them that inside was a golden ticket. All they had to do was open the box. Muah huah huah. Sometimes I can be too evil.

American cinema has become rather boring and predictable, especially in the scary department. I suffered (and not in a good way) through a preview for Cry_Wolf. The only good thing about it was that I made a mental note to send Clive Barker’s lawyer more nightmares about plagiarism. The next preview gave me hope, for it was about a dysfunctional family who engages in role-playing, fetish-wear and whip-play. I wonder if they mean the Mark of Zorro literally? There was an excellent preview for Wolf Creek, and just when I got my hopes up for the American horror movie I remembered it was made in Australia. The scariest preview (only because it kept showing a naked old man applying baby powder) was something stupid with the whiny accountant from Aliens going on a road trip with Columbo. Sounds like one of those whiny yuppie movies where they blame their parents for everything. I DARE them to come play with me! I’ll give them something to whine about.

The movie is based on an old Ray Bradbury short story about people in the future who invent time travel. Instead of using it for anything useful, like going back in time and warning people about disastrous hurricanes, they use it to send rich hunters back in time to hunt dinosaurs. The main capitalist is played by Ben Kingsley and he chews more scenery than the recurring Allosaurus. The guy must have never seen a sci-fi/action/horror movie in his whole life, because he makes every mistake in the book. The rest of the cast is of the no-name or had-a-name variety, and they act like they are just along for the ride. They don’t really explain why it’s called “A Sound of Thunder.” Maybe because “The Butterfly Effect” was taken. Despite being extra careful not to change anything in the past (i.e., only hunting an Allosaurus destined to die in a tar pit mere minutes before a volcano erupts, etc.), of course something gets changed and “time waves” start coming every 24 hours that radically change the way life has evolved since the cretaceous hunting accident. Instead of bad technobabble dialog and government oversight, they could have just watched a few scientific-experiment-gone-horribly-wrong movies and figured out how to avoid these problems. Luckily the movie is set in Chicago, where things like spare particle accelerators exist at every downtown university.

To be honest (would I ever lie?), this could have been a fantastic movie. If it had a budget of $100 million dollars and was directed by a hack like Steven Sommers, this could easily be a tentpole summer movie. However, this movie has a budget only slightly larger than the Sci-fi channel’s monthly monster munch movie. The effects don’t look too bad for a TV show, but for a movie they are subpar. The action scenes are remarkably tense and people jumped in the right places and didn’t laugh at the movie like I thought they would. It was directed by Peter Hyams (best known for a bad Jean-Claude Van Damme movie…oh wait, that’s redundant) after they fired Renny Harlin for creative differences. How can anyone use the word “creative” in the same sentence as Renny Harlin? He probably wanted us to evolve into tall women with really large feet.

Peter Hyams has an obsession with two things: time travel and distastrous science experiments in Chicago, so it’s only natural that he got the job after Harlin left. Hyams never let something as pedestrian as continuity stand in the way of making a movie, so he goes all out on this one. Of course, he never worries about things like plot, common sense or logic either. This movie was badly edited, and was probably shortened down too many times. As it is, the pacing is fast and the movie is fun, but there are so many glaring continuity errors and plot holes that not even a Baboonasaurus can save it.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

"Real quick (hopefully I'll have actual numbers later) but....so far TRNS2 is doing a little better than GRIMM here in the LBC
-- notfabio, Sep 2, 19:44
Mid 5 mil to 6 range could be possible, keeping in mind this is prone to being fairly frontloaded due to it being a sequel.

SNDTH is in line with Pinhead's report. :)

The LBC is going to skew a bit above average in regards to UNDERCLASSMAN (I am still recovering
from my REBOUND projection :) so I'm going to wait until I have solid numbers on that one."

Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

4:50PM at Crown Annapolis Harbour 9
10 people were there, including my mother and I

Trailers: Cry Wolf, The Legend Of Zorro, Stay, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, and Everything Is Illuminated.

Reaction: No reaction from the crowd, except one child who screamed at a jump scene.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 pm
Extraordinary

4:15PM at Century Union Landing
Seating - 250 seats around 65%-70% full ( basically the seats at the bottom were empty and a few here and there ) Guess this is pretty damn good.

Trailers
Brokeback Mountain ( looks pretty damn good, oscar contender possibly, will see how it handles the situation on hand )
North Country ( meh )
Ice Harvest ( trailer was pretty weak, but I think the movie could be good )

The Movie - I'll write up a review later, but for now i'll say it was a good political drama ( it really isnt a thriller ) with some oscar worthy acting from Fiennes and Weisz.

B

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:27 pm
King Albert!

Sound of Thunder.
2:10 - 26 people.
5:15 - 12 people.
(Hey, it could have been worse. At least it's traking ahead of Undiscovered, by more than double).

Constant Gardener
12:50 - 16 people.
4:05 - 41 people.
(I hope that you are aware that this is not our type of movie.

Underclassmen
1:40 - 29 people.
2:45 - 21 people.
4:30 - 30 people.
5:30 - 25 people.
(This is not bad. Looks like it won't totally flop).

Transporter 2
12:45 - 47 people.
1:30 - 45 people.
2:30 - 61 people.
3:30 - 57 people.
4:20 - 54 people.
5:20 - 69 people.
(looks like this will be the winner, with strong possibilities of getting sold out shows).

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Looks like Underclassman isn't going to do completely awful (sub-$2 million). I'm glad I went with $3.1 million for the 4-day weekend.

Scott, how does Transporter 2's matinee compare with The Brothers Grimm? Any chance of a higher 3-day weekend, atleast? Considering that it'll have a very small drop on Sunday, it won't be that hard.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:41 pm
King Albert!

Scott, how does Transporter 2's matinee compare with The Brothers Grimm? Any chance of a higher 3-day weekend, atleast? Considering that it'll have a very small drop on Sunday, it won't be that hard.

The attendence is pretty much on par with Grimm's matinee (that is people per theater, despite the fact the Transporter has an extra screen). So, it has a chance to exceed Grimm's 3-day total.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

11:40PM showing, 400 seats, around 75% full (pretty damn good).

Trailers
Flightplan (I think I've memorized the words to this trailer - whispering)
The Fog (some jumpers)
Doom (lots of talking about the game afterwards)
Get Rich or Die Tryin' (lots of "fiddie!" going on)
Walk the Line (whispering)
Grandma's Boy (WTF? - but, uh, lots of laughs)

Movie
Despite being a little more cheesier than the original, it's a hell of a lot better. The first one was good because of the awesome action scenes done in a very low budget. So, of course with a higher budget, you'll see some cheesy moments. However, Transporter 2 still manages to keep up the awesome action scenes of the first, and make 'em twice as good. As usual, Jason Statham is his usual, awesome, entertaining self. He's not only the next action star, but he's a great entertainer as well, keeping up the laughs, despite having a serious role. The story is not without its flaws, but Transporter 2 isn't meant to be smart; it's meant to be entertaining. And, entertain it accomplishes. Tarconi (Berleand) is also surprisingly hilarious, even though he was barely noticable in the first. Nauta (the chick from the trailer) is more unappealing and unattractive than you could imagine. They pushed her way too hard in this movie, with her wearing nothing but lingerie throughout the film. The action was just explosive, awesome, and well-done. The only part of the film that I didn't like was the scene of the plane, which was poorly executed. But, the rest of the film makes up for it in a big way, and Statham only makes it ten times better. He is be the next, big action star. B+

The crowd was really into it, surprisingly. Laughs in all the right places, and the occasional clap from a few members of the audience after some awesome stunts by Statham. Also, lots of "ohhhhhhhhs" and "holy shit!" throughout the film.

By the way, I'm thinking a $5-6 million opening day based on this.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:58 am
Orphan

Never understood why the trailer pushed the girl so much considering she isn't even attractive. I can understand why a film like last year's 'Taxi' might push the inclusion of Gisele Bundchen and the other supermodels (they're attractive if you like the tall, thin, Victoria's Secret type) but this lady isn't attractive in the least.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:20 am
College Boy Z

Never understood why the trailer pushed the girl so much considering she isn't even attractive. I can understand why a film like last year's 'Taxi' might push the inclusion of Gisele Bundchen and the other supermodels (they're attractive if you like the tall, thin, Victoria's Secret type) but this lady isn't attractive in the least.

I think the most unplausable thing in the movie is not the action scenes (which, while fun, can be over-the-top at times), but that the bad guy (who, by the way, sucked at being bad...) would actually sleep with a woman like her.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:22 am
Wallflower

Well I actually thought she looked cool/sexy in the trailer and I'm gay :tongue:.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:46 am
Where will you be?

That villianess in Transporter 2 was about the hottest woman I've ever seen that was that damn thin. Saw Transporter 2 last night, trailers included Doom, Walk the Line, Get Rich or Die Tryin', The Fog, Serenity, and Grandma's Boy. 8:10 show in the 750 seater, which was about 50% pull I'd say (then again, there was a 7:30 show that was almost sold out, so I'd guess this was just the overflow). The audience was really into the movie, tons of laughter throughout, and even a few claps could be heard here and there after some action scenes, like the bomb crane stunt and the hose scene. B+

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:52 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Joe wrote:

I think the most unplausable thing in the movie is not the action scenes (which, while fun, can be over-the-top at times), but that the bad guy (who, by the way, sucked at being bad...) would actually sleep with a woman like her.

She reminds me of that manly wife that Stallone use to be married to, the one that was in Beverly Hills Cops 2. I hate butched short hair like that

Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:07 pm
Veteran

3:15 PM, 60% in a 500 Seater

Trailers
Walk the Line
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Flightplan
Grandma's Boy

Movie:

Fun movie. Loved the fight scene using the hose.

B+

P.S: The ending pointed to Transporter 3.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Yep, and with this one being successful in the box-office, I wouldn't be surprised to see another one, nor would I mind.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:34 pm
Sbil

7:00 show, 200-seater, sold out (movie had been sold out nearly all day, apparently).

Trailers
Two for the Money
The Ice Harvest
An Unfinished Life
Brokeback Mountain
In Her Shoes

Movie
The Constant Gardener is an eloquent, powerfully romantic thriller that is a treat for mature moviegoers who have been looking forward to an intelligent picture during the summer. There are no car chases, gunfights or brutal scenes of violence in this film. If that kind of thing is up your alley, I'd suggest skipping this movie and going to see The Transporter 2. Director Fernando Meirelles, making his follow-up to the wonderful City of God, uses a rather dazzling kinetic energy to record this film as if it were a documentary, which works quite well in portraying Africa and global conspiracy in regards to medicine and treatment. Ralph Fiennes is terrific (and gives his best performance since Schindler's List) as Justin, a reserved man who wants to seek answers following the cover-up (or was it?) death of his wife. Rachel Weisz is tremendous as his political activist wife Tessa. Despite not being on screen for a large amount of time (and seen primarily through flashbacks), Tessa is a spitfire and The Constant Gardener's intriguing plot developments all revolve almost entirely around her character. Danny Huston, Bill Nighy and Pete Postelthwaite all round out a fine supporting cast. On the negative side, The Constant Gardener does not always hold one's interest with some occasionally unbelievable plot devices and sometimes confusing time shifts (the film jumps back and forth rather often), but it is a rich, rewarding motion picture that arrives like a breeze on a hot day at the end of a summer full of special effects bonanzas. B+

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

7:00pm at Regal Hamburg Pavilion 16
80% Full

Trailers: Proof

Crowd Reaction: Great. There were laughs at the appropriate moments and people were talking about how much they loved it on the way out. My mom said it was one of the best movies she had seen in a long time and wouldn't be surprised if it got plenty of Oscar nods. I expect this to have solid WOM.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

Yep, and with this one being successful in the box-office, I wouldn't be surprised to see another one, nor would I mind.

I wouldn't mind the 3rd one either since I liked the first two.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Saw a 10:00 showing of The Skeleton Key (it was between that, March of the Penguins, and The Constant Gardener). About 50% full in a 200-seater. Trailers for Stay, King Kong, and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

Crowd reaction seemed positive. My group seemed to like it but think it a bit silly.

The only sold-out showing I saw was an 8:00 showing of Red Eye.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:24 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Saw a 10:00 showing of The Skeleton Key (it was between that, March of the Penguins, and The Constant Gardener).

I'm a little surprised you picked this one over the other two, heh.

Then again, if you were with friends, it's not the coolest thing to go see The Constant Gardener or March of the Peguins on a Saturday night.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:30 am
je vois l'avenir

Dkmuto wrote:
Saw a 10:00 showing of The Skeleton Key (it was between that, March of the Penguins, and The Constant Gardener).

I'm a little surprised you picked this one over the other two, heh.

Then again, if you were with friends, it's not the coolest thing to go see The Constant Gardener or March of the Peguins on a Saturday night.

lol I can image it now.

"Man, these penguins are so cool"

"Dude, your gay"

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next