Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Weekend Actuals! 
College Boy Z

Wedding Crashers is guaranteed to pass Charlie, wanderer. Starting next weekend, Crashers will be pulling in twice as much as Charlie every weekend, and only $25.79 million seperates them right now. I don't see how it can't pass Charlie.

The celebration has begun...

:dance:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:30 pm
Star Trek XI

I'm not saying it isn't possible for WC to pass Charlie, but it's not guaranteed, not yet. Let's just start with next week. You said that you expect WC to be pulling double of Charlie's take. I see it this way: Charlie's weekday numbers have been dropping in the -39, -41% range. WC's have been dropping in the -26, -28% range. Based on that, I expect Charlie to go from 10.5 mil last week to 6 mil this week. I expect WC to go from 11 mil last week to 8 mil. This weekend Charlie dropped -.33 % and WC -20%. Based on that I project 7.3 mil for Charlie and 12.65 for WC. Total cumes for the week would be 13.30 and 20.65 respectively. Each subsequent week the numbers to work with will get smaller, and less ground will be made. Also WC will likely be losing theaters (something Charlie has already been doing for 2 weeks, while WC was expanding those 2 weeks) so I expect that to affect its numbers as well, plus it's hard to count on all 3 adult comedies coming out in Aug to flop and/or not affect WC's box office numbers. Charlie is surviving Sky High very well and only has Valiant coming out as possible competition. It's possible for WC to pass it, but it's not a lock. But maybe you should start the party now, because you might be crying later :shades:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:03 pm
Star Trek XI

If you really feel like wearing a corset go ahead, I'm not stopping you.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Yeah, The Chumscrubber tanked. I guess I'll have to wait until DVD to see the film.

Must Love Dogs is on its way to profitability, as is Sky High.

Fox was smart with The Fantastic Four. By not hiring any big names (no gross points) they are nearing profitability already, the same can't be said for WOTW since Cruise and Spielberg are going to get a percentage of the profits before the studio gets anything.

Hustle and Flow obliterated its budget and The Devil's Rejects, while not a big success by any means, has done decently for itself.

Broken Flowers and 2046 did quite well in their limited releases.

Too bad for Junebug as it didn't do that great.

My Date with Drew tanked as well in limited release.

Which is something in the end we really can't say for BATMAN BEGINS even though it's set to hit 200 Million when you consider the budget and marketing cost, but good for WB either way.. As much as I enjoyed the F4, I also have to throw it into the mix to of barely breaking even and No, I don't even give 1 thought to the whole Worldwide gross cause in the end and like it or not, Domestic is what matters the most..

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Joe wrote:
Yeah, The Chumscrubber tanked. I guess I'll have to wait until DVD to see the film.

Fox was smart with The Fantastic Four. By not hiring any big names (no gross points) they are nearing profitability already, the same can't be said for WOTW since Cruise and Spielberg are going to get a percentage of the profits before the studio gets anything.

Hustle and Flow obliterated its budget and The Devil's Rejects, while not a big success by any means, has done decently for itself.

Which is something in the end we really can't say for BATMAN BEGINS even though it's set to hit 200 Million when you consider the budget and marketing cost, but good for WB either way.. As much as I enjoyed the F4, I also have to throw it into the mix to of barely breaking even and No, I don't even give 1 thought to the whole Worldwide gross cause in the end and like it or not, Domestic is what matters the most..

Yes, because Christian Bale is obviously the most famous name in Hollywood.

Just because he's a better actor than the thespians running amok in Fantastic Four does not mean he is necessarily more well-known to the general public.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:21 pm
Orphan

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Joe wrote:

Just because he's a better actor than the thespians running amok in Fantastic Four does not mean he is necessarily more well-known to the general public.

Yeah, I doubt anyone involved with Batman Begins got gross points either since not one could be considered a draw on their own, despite their critical successes in the past. Not even Nolan is a big enough name to demand a cut of the profits.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:23 pm

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Joe wrote:

Well sweetheart, apparently better known thespians as you put it, doesn't necessarily mean squat in the case of The F4 for as well as it's doing now does it?? :-k Chiklis is really the only known name in that Cast more than Julian McMahon from Niptuck....

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Libs wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Joe wrote:

Well sweetheart, apparently better known thespians as you put it, doesn't necessarily mean squat in the case of The F4 for as well as it's doing now does it?? :-k Chiklis is really the only known name in that Cast more than Julian McMahon from Niptuck....

Um, what? I was pointing out that your Batman Begins comment didn't, in this case, make any sense because that movie doesn't feature a hugely high-profile star either.

I also don't understand how Fantastic Four is supposedly doing so well while Batman tanked if there's going to be a $50M difference in their grosses and they cost virtually the same amount of money, but I don't tend to follow BKBSpeak.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 pm
Star Trek XI

WB will be rolling in more $$$ during the holiday season. The industry is already predicting the top DVD sellers. Can you guess who's what's on the list?

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
3. Batman Begins
4. War of the Worlds

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Libs wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Joe wrote:

Um, what? I was pointing out that your Batman Begins comment didn't, in this case, make any sense because that movie doesn't feature a hugely high-profile star either.

I also don't understand how Fantastic Four is supposedly doing so well while Batman tanked if there's going to be a $50M difference in their grosses and they cost virtually the same amount of money, but I don't tend to follow BKBSpeak.

I didn't say BATMAN Tanked honey if you would quote follow BKBSpeak as you so delicately put it.. What I said was, is that YES, The movie will have made 200 Million give or take, but when factoring in the 150 Million budget it took to make it and another 60 Million to market it, it really didn't generate a profit and would have to be considered somewhat underwhelming and I said the same thing would have to apply for The F4 Given that it cost 100 Million to make and 50 Million to market and when all is said and done, will have barely made that back with very little to no profit at all.. Don't be so quick to jump my ass and say I don't know what I'm talking about before reading the post thoroughly and them jump responding out of nowhere on it without any thought to what I said.. It is true though about both movies..

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:32 am
Profile WWW

WB will be rolling in more $$$ during the holiday season. The industry is already predicting the top DVD sellers. Can you guess who's what's on the list?

1. Revenge of the Sith
3. Batman Begins
4. War of the Worlds

SITH is FOX, not WB and I believe WOTW is Paramount....

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Libs wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Joe wrote:

Actually:

Jessica Alba(!)
Guy who played Ben is from the shield(forget his name but hes in other stuff too)
Chiklis is pretty well-known, well not his name, but alot of people I know recognize him as the guy from Perfect Score and Scary Movie 3 and Cellular.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:37 am
MISSING IN ACTION

oo00ooh. I praying that both Charlie and Wedding Crashers will get 200 million. Its amazing, all these movies switch they're release dates in fear of the "big tentpole movies", to increase theyre chances of 200 million, or just a better weekend. And we may have 2, 200 million makers from the SAME weekend. AMAZING.

Im pretty disappointed in Dukes. Sure it made over 30 million, but it seemed 35 million would have been reasonable after a solid opening day, and a even more solid Theater count. But BOM is reporting that the audience actually liked it. I think it may perform pretty similar to SWAT and stop somewhere in between 98-103 million.

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:39 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

BKB, what makes you think that Batman Begins's marketing was $10 million more than Fantastic Four?

Batman Begins had near terrible marketing. You're pulling that number out of your ass.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:46 am

BKB, what makes you think that Batman Begins's marketing was $10 million more than Fantastic Four?

Batman Begins had near terrible marketing. You're pulling that number out of your ass.

Once again, stand by while I retrieve this figure I saw over at Superherohype..

UPDATED: The only thing I was able to find was Box Office Mojo stating it cost 150 Million to make but WB is mum on the cost of Marketing and I'm almost certain I read it cost somewhere like 50 Million to Market.. If someone could find it, we can oput an end to this debate..

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:11 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Wedding Crashers is pretty much a lock for 200 million. Heck, it could play into the fall.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

The_Game_1 wrote:

1. Revenge of the Sith
3. Batman Begins
4. War of the Worlds

SITH is FOX, not WB and I believe WOTW is Paramount....

WB will have 2 movies, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Zingaling wrote:

UPDATED: The only thing I was able to find was Box Office Mojo stating it cost 150 Million to make but WB is mum on the cost of Marketing and I'm almost certain I read it cost somewhere like 50 Million to Market.. If someone could find it, we can oput an end to this debate..

I've read somewhere that marketing costs for Batman Begins were like $60 million - but I don't know if thats true or not.

All we know is...

Fantastic Four:

production budget - 100m (estimated)
domestic (so far) - $143,990,723
overseas - $109,499,621
total - $253,490,344

=2.535x its budget

Batman Begins:

production budget - 135-150m (estimated)
domestic (so far) - $199,088,386
overseas - $156,191,000
total - $355,279,386

= 2.632x-2.369x its budget

So the multipliers of their budgets are pretty much the same...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 am
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

$50 million sounds reasonable, but I don't buy that the marketing for Batman is $10 million more than Fantastic Four.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:18 pm

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

I've read somewhere that marketing costs for Batman Begins were like $60 million - but I don't know if thats true or not.

All we know is...

Fantastic Four:

overseas - $109,499,621
total - $253,490,344

=2.535x its budget

Batman Begins:

overseas - $156,191,000
total - $355,279,386

See?? I knew I wasn't the only one who read that the Marketing cost for BATMAN was around 60 Million, but it's a matter of finding a link to it.. Either way, on paper, both BATMAN and F4 look like they made good $$$ but in the end, they will have both broke even with very little to no profit at all, except for maybe when they come on DVD in October and November..

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Samweis Gamdschie wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

All we know is...

Fantastic Four:

overseas - $109,499,621
total - $253,490,344

=2.535x its budget

Batman Begins:

overseas - $156,191,000
total - $355,279,386

See?? I knew I wasn't the only one who read that the Marketing cost for BATMAN was around 60 Million, but it's a matter of finding a link to it.. Either way, on paper, both BATMAN and F4 look like they made good $$$ but in the end, they will have both broke even with very little to no profit at all, except for maybe when they come on DVD in October and November..

And yet, both were much much much bigger successes than The Hulk.

Also, BKB, looks like Batman Begins won't "crawl" past $200 million, but rather stop at around $205 million (which you have deemed impossible lately).

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:34 am
Profile WWW

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Samweis Gamdschie wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

All we know is...

Fantastic Four:

overseas - $109,499,621
total - $253,490,344

=2.535x its budget

Batman Begins:

overseas - $156,191,000
total - $355,279,386

And yet, both were much much much bigger successes than The Hulk.

Also, BKB, looks like Batman Begins won't "crawl" past $200 million, but rather stop at around $205 million (which you have deemed impossible lately).

How so?? Where do you figure this movie will make it to 205 Million when it's at what?? #15 on the chart??? Like SITH, this movie is on it's way out the door and YES, it is crawling it's way to 200 Million but Batfans as always will try to throw a more optimistic spin on this movies box office more than ever.. Either way you want to look at it, it will be considered underwhelming when you factor in the cost of the movie and the Marketing cost which would bring it to around 210 Million to even break even, but once again, you'll throw the Worldwide figure in to make it seem like it made more than what it did and it still doesn't change the fact that it couldn't even beat the 1989 BATMAN at 252 Million DOMESTICALLY and Keaton was still better in the suit and more consistent with his voice unlike Bales who's voice changed more times than not.. I also love how no one will ever let me live down The HULK which after 2 years is getting more respect than it certainly did back when it came out..

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2