Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Premiere magazine top picks for summer of 89!! 
Mod Team Leader

I was born this year, so its nice to see what movies were poised to be big the year i was born and what actually came of it. What do you think people will think of such movies like Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure and Stealth in 16 years?

I don't know if anyone will remember Stealth....but Pirates will never be forgotten as it was one of the biggest surprises. I know Premiere picked Matrix Reloaded to make 400 in 03 and Pirates to do about 120.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What did premier say about Passion?Did they make a prediction?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

What did premier say about Passion?Did they make a prediction?

I stopped collecting the issues in about 96. So I don't know if they made a prediction. But usually they don't predict all films, just the summer slots and the Christmas films so chances are they didn't do one for Passion.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah Premiere only predicts the box office grossers of the summer films - so they didnt rpedict TPOTC. They also have a Fall/Holiday preview issue but IIRC they dont actually predict the grosses.

Baumer - thanks for the article. 1989 was probably the first year i took notice of the BO aswell. It was the first year of the megaplex boom and it sure showed at the BO.

Do you have any other Premiere summer preview predictions from the early 90s??? Especially 93 and 94?

I have seen most of their predictions from 96 onwards though.

Some interesting ones (if anyone is interested):

1996 - They lowballed this summer big time after the weak 95 summer. They pridicted Twister at No.1 with $180m and Mission Impossible at No.2. They also only predicted $100m for ID4!! Incredible!

1997 - predicted $250m for Lost World and $190m for Titanic - though Titanic was soon moved to December (it had been scheduled for July 4th against MIB and Home Alone 3 :)

1998 - They picked Godzilla to hit $250-300m and Armageddon $230m i think. Though I do remember them picking Small Soldiers and BASEketball to hit $100m+

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 pm
Extraordinary

They also only predicted $100m for ID4!! Incredible!

1997 - predicted $250m for Lost World and $190m for Titanic - though Titanic was soon moved to December (it had been scheduled for July 4th against MIB and Home Alone 3 :)

Wow,only 100mill? I knew after the superbowl trailer that ID4 would be one of the biggest films ever.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

MadGez wrote:
They also only predicted $100m for ID4!! Incredible!

Wow,only 100mill? I knew after the superbowl trailer that ID4 would be one of the biggest films ever.

Exactly! How they predicted it would do only $100m is beyond me. To me in all my years of BO watching - ID4 had the most event type opening weekend (5 days) of any film including Star Wars, MatriX and LOTR. Even then I do recall Will Smith making jokes on Letterman about how the media kept referring to the film as the "highly anticipated" ID4 -even though the tracking was through the roof.

Premiere was rather cautious with its 96 predictions but more bullish for 97.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:40 am
Mod Team Leader

I think in Premiere's defence, Will Smith wasn't the massive star then that he is today. I think 100 mill was low as well to predict for ID4 but really, not every film can be looked upon as being Jurassic Park.

I will look for more Premiere issues. Many of them are at my parent's house in London Ontario as my mom packed them away when I left home and I haven't taken them all. But I do have about 30 issues here and I'll get some more issues and their articles out. I'll see what summer previews I can find.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

are-why-a-en wrote:
I was born this year, so its nice to see what movies were poised to be big the year i was born and what actually came of it. What do you think people will think of such movies like Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure and Stealth in 16 years?

I don't know if anyone will remember Stealth....but Pirates will never be forgotten as it was one of the biggest surprises. I know Premiere picked Matrix Reloaded to make 400 in 03 and Pirates to do about 120.

Pirates is ranked #10 all-time at Yahoo. It's loved too much to ever be forgotten.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am
Profile ICQ
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:
are-why-a-en wrote:

Pirates is ranked #10 all-time at Yahoo. It's loved too much to ever be forgotten.

So we are in agreeance here. :happy:

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2