Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Screen Counts & Crowd Reports For: August 5th-7th 
Extraordinary

Lee reported a 11M is possible for Dukes, but he hadn't been very accurate with Friday projections. Either way, 10-12M seems to be where it's headed. It is doing Bewitched kind of business in most places except for the south, where it's selling out a lot more, and that should add a couple of millions to its Friday gross.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Where are all the crowd reports? Did no one see Dukes last night?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Where are all the crowd reports? Did no one see Dukes last night?

I guess not. And it looked so great too :tongue:.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:51 am
Extraordinary

So All the shows for Broken Flowers on 68th Street were sold out yesterday. Its only on one screen, played 5 times, but that theatre is a very big Loews, its not a small indie theatre. The other theatre, Angelika, is a smaller indie theatre, but has chosen to run BF on two or three screens from what I saw of showtimes yesterday inline. I'm going to be in the area today and jump in and ask them how the sales have been.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:59 am
Extraordinary

http://filmexperience.blogspot.com/

"2040-something

Damnit!!! Despite my obsessive love for Tony Leung Chiu Wai I, like the cinefool I am, did not buy tickets last night for the opening night showing of 2046 tonight and now the latest Wong Kar Wai (presumed) masterpiece is sold out. Tonight I will hone my self-loathing skills and cry myself to sleep. Why did I procrastinate?

Tantalizing Nathaniel w/ tickets to Tony only to tear them away is truly torturous."

I may have underestimated its PTA.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, rushed from work to catch the 5.30 Broken Flowers. SHowed up at 5.28 and was so happy. It was sold out. So was the 7 o clock, and the 7.50. And there was still a line. So I'm going to venture every single show there (showing on multiple screens clearly) was sold out today.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:12 pm
King Albert!

Well, rushed from work to catch the 5.30 Broken Flowers. SHowed up at 5.28 and was so happy. It was sold out. So was the 7 o clock, and the 7.50. And there was still a line. So I'm going to venture every single show there (showing on multiple screens clearly) was sold out today.

Excellent, that's means it might play in through the fall.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

Well this is NY. Holy Girl sold out here, like, two weekends in a row. I wonder how its doing everywhere else. Its showing in two theatres here, and I found out this morning that the one near me, all the shows had sold out yesterday (I was going to go but ended up going out). SO today I run over to the other one, which I know was showing on more screens, so I thought I'd have a good chance of getting in. All sold out here too. Its showing in one place in Jersey and Philly that I know of too, but I don't know if it was as popular there. I also would like to know how it did in Chicago, Boston, and some of the West Coast cities is was probably released in. I know there were 27 theatres nationwide, but what cities, I have no idea. You have any info on a theatre in Florida that had it Scott?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:22 pm
King Albert!

Scott V. wrote:
dolcevita wrote:

Well this is NY. Holy Girl sold out here, like, two weekends in a row. I wonder how its doing everywhere else. Its showing in two theatres here, and I found out this morning that the one near me, all the shows had sold out yesterday (I was going to go but ended up going out). SO today I run over to the other one, which I know was showing on more screens, so I thought I'd have a good chance of getting in. All sold out here too. Its showing in one place in Jersey and Philly that I know of too, but I don't know if it was as popular there. I also would like to know how it did in Chicago, Boston, and some of the West Coast cities is was probably released in. I know there were 27 theatres nationwide, but what cities, I have no idea. You have any info on a theatre in Florida that had it Scott?

Florida? I live in Anaheim. Looks like you got your Magic Kingdoms mixed up.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Argh! I knew that sorry, Scott. Know what's up with Cali?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Well, I saw a movie today (with my whole family- Mom, Dad, brother, sister, and I)

March of the Penguins
Cinema Centers 12
3:00 PM, 95% full in a 100 seater :drop:

Trailers
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride- no reaction
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- some excited talking (some little kid behind me said "Ooo...cool. I liked the first movie.")

My Review

I finally got a chance to see this today and I definitely did not walk away disappointed (despite having to sit in the second row from the front). Very emotional, sweet, touching film with beautiful cinematography of Antarctica. Quite an educational and interesting film as well as we learn about the life of the Emperor Penguin and all the struggles and hardships they have to go through to reach their breeding grounds. The baby chicks in the film are ADORABLE! :blush: There's some scenes that are quite sad in the film though I won't spoil them for you. Morgan Freeman narrates brilliantly- seriously he could narrate a film about the history of zippers and I'll be there opening day. I definitely recommend this film to all my fellow KJ'ers (unless you have a short attention span like my sister- though I love her- and my Dad).

A-/B+

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:42 pm
College Boy Z

Ah, tonight sucked. Dukes was sold out before my friends and I got there. I'm not sure which theater it was in, but it's most likely the 500-seater because that's where all the new releases go at night that are expected to do very well.

Good for the box-office, bad for my night.

:mad:

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:26 pm
Full Fledged Member

4:40 pm

About 15% full

I had very low expectations. I even half expected to walk out. But, since I had a free ticket.... Anyhow, it turned out to be better than I thought it would be. Though, it probably helped that I a) had low expectations, and b) watched Smokey and the Bandit the night before. The Bandit movie helped put me in the mood for Dukes.

C+ to B-

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Woah...lemme get this straight. TWO PEOPLE have seen Dukes over the past two days? What's going on?

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Saw Dukes of Hazzard on the 274-seater, the second largest auditorium at our local AMC. It was about 95% full.

Great movie! Lots of fun! B+

Joy

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw Dukes of Hazzard

Joy

Im shocked!
;)

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

I coerced my brother and sister into seeing The March of the Penguins tonight so I could go to a local arthouse and see Junebug :) They were really set on seeing Dukes, but I'm really glad I convinced them to see March of the Penguins because it deserves my money more, and, I got to see the amazing Junebug.

By the way, the theatre was about 65% full in about a 350ish theatre, and March of the Penguins was about 70% full in a 275ish size theatre.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:51 am
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Here is my theater report (Friday to Saturday comparision).

March of the Penguins (135 seater)
1:10 - 21% full / 34% full.
3:25 - 19% full / 61% full.
5:45 - 24% full / 34% full.
8:30 - 39% full / 62% full.
10:45 - 22% full / 30% full.
(Weird pattern to say the least. It increased 77% from Friday, the smallest increase to date).

My Date with Drew
2:15 - 2 people / 7 people
4:40 - 2 people / 21 people
7:25 - 15 people / 4 people
9:55 - 13 people / 4 people
(Even weirder).

Dukes of Hazzard
12:15 (300 seater) - 11% full / 5% full.
1:00 (600 seater) - 9% full / 5% full.
1:45 (400 seater) - 18% full / 10% full.
2:30 (600 seater) - 9% full / 8% full.
3:15 (300 seater) - 16% full / 27% full.
4:00 (600 seater) - 7% full / 13% full.
4:45 (400 seater) - 10% full / 16% full.
5:30 (600 seater) - 15% full / 15% full.
6:15 (300 seater) - 29% full / 30% full.
7:00 (600 seater) - 19% full / 15% full.
7:45 (400 seater) - 42% full / 30% full.
8:35 (600 seater) - 35% full / 41% full.
9:05 (300 seater) - 82% full / 53% full.
9:50 (600 seater) - 36% full / 33% full.
10:35 (400 seater) - 61% full / 42% full.
11:25 (600 seater) - 43% full / 28% full.
12:00 (300 seater) - 62% full / 30% full.
(Yikes, not even the matinees could keep up. All in all, it drop an alarming 18% from yesterday, looks like the legs will not be good at all).

The Great Raid sneak preview played in the 150 seater, but got only 43% full. This was our worse sneak performance since the Girl Next Door. Looks like a bomb to me.

As for the others
Wedding Crashers sold out the 9:10 (300 seater), and the 10:10 (250 seater). It increased 28% from yesterday.

Charlie made was some great ground from yesterday. It increased 51% from yesterday.

Stealth barely registered yesterday, but it increase 47% from yesterday, but the theater still were not crowded enough.

Must Love Dogs had a tidy 26% increase from yesterday, much better than last Saturdays increase.

Sky High increased only 18%.

The Island had a 24% increase (but that included the Great Raid sneak).

Fantastic 4 had a fantastic 60% rise from yesterday, but War of the Worlds went up 80% (it sold out the 8:25 show in a 90 seater).

Hustle and Flow sold out the 9:40 in a 150 seater. Dark Water sold out the 10:25 show in a 90 seater, and Devil's Reject sold out both the 8:20 and 11:00 show (both in 110 seaters).

All in all, thanks to Dukes of Hazzard, this was one of the slowest Saturdays we have ever had. We had Fridays bigger than this.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:26 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

12:15PM, 500 seats, about 25% full.

Trailers
Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride
The Cave
The 40-Year Old Virgin
Transporter 2
Chicken Little
V for Vendetta

Movie
The Dukes of Hazzard was pretty good. I wouldn't quite call it hilarious (like Wedding Crashers), but it was decent. Lots of the jokes fell flat, though. It wasn't as funny as portrayed in the trailer, and almost every funny scene was in the trailer. But, it was fun. Sean William Scott (or "Stifler") was pretty bad. He tried wayyy to hard to make the audience laugh and most of his jokes weren't even that good. Johnny Knoxville is the better of the two, playing a good Luke Duke. Of course, though, (my wife) Jessica Simpson was awesomely hot. While I enjoyed it, it could have been better. B-

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:53 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The Dukes of Hazzard
12:15PM, 500 seats, about 25% full.

Trailers
The Cave
The 40-Year Old Virgin
Transporter 2
Chicken Little
V for Vendetta

Movie
The Dukes of Hazzard was pretty good. I wouldn't quite call it hilarious (like Wedding Crashers), but it was decent. Lots of the jokes fell flat, though. It wasn't as funny as portrayed in the trailer, and almost every funny scene was in the trailer. But, it was fun. Sean William Scott (or "Stifler") was pretty bad. He tried wayyy to hard to make the audience laugh and most of his jokes weren't even that good. Johnny Knoxville is the better of the two, playing a good Luke Duke. Of course, though, (my wife) Jessica Simpson was awesomely hot. While I enjoyed it, it could have been better. B-

that's a weird mix of trailers :-k

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Yeah, I thought so too. Chicken Little most likely doesn't appeal to the audience for The Dukes of Hazzard.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:35 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Schlomo wrote:

Yeah, I thought so too. Chicken Little most likely doesn't appeal to the audience for The Dukes of Hazzard.

well ya never know, many of my friends (myself included) loved The Incredibles.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
Schlomo wrote:

I liked it too. :smile:

Yeah, I guess that could be appealing, but I don't know about The Corpse Bride. I'm not sure who that appeals to besides Burton fans, actually.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Schlomo wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Schlomo wrote:

I liked it too. :smile:

Yeah, I guess that could be appealing, but I don't know about The Corpse Bride. I'm not sure who that appeals to besides Burton fans, actually.

The Goth crowd loves The Nightmare Before Christmas , which was very similar.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

7:15 show, 300-seat auditorium, half full.

Trailers
Red Eye
Rumor Has It (huge reaction to this trailer, by the way)
Just Like Heaven
Flight Plan

Movie
Must Love Dogs is a somewhat bland affair that manages to be surprisingly funny, but very weak when it comes to the romance aspect. Diane Lane plays Sarah, a role that most likely would've been played by Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock had this film come out ten years ago. Fortunately, Lane is wonderful; she has never looked more beautiful and she manages to do interesting things with a character that is entirely unoriginal. The performances by Elizabeth Perkins and Christopher Plummer as members of her close knit Irish-American family are also quite good (the scene in which Sarah answers her father's personal ad by mistake is very amusing). Stockard Channing also delivers an effective supporting performance. While there is a sense of chemistry between Lane and John Cusack, Must Love Dogs screws up their romance by not developing it nearly enough and not having enough scenes between the two actors. The film finds it necessary to add a distraction in the form of Dermot Mulroney, who plays a character so bland it's hard to believe anyone could be attracted to him. The end result (although it is cute) may have been more satisfying if Sarah and Jake were permitted to spend more time with each other during the course of the movie. Dog lovers, fear not: as could be expected from the title, there are several cute canines who are positively endearing. Although I was disappointed by the romance Must Love Dogs had to offer, the film is very funny at times and was a cute film overall, although it is quite forgettable. The performances (especially Lane) make the film worthwhile. B-

The audience, consisting mainly of older couples, seemed to like it.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3