Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Wedding Crashers - The Box Office Phenomenon 
Indiana Jones IV

In New Zealand if a theatre ignores an R or stricter rating they get fined something like $10,000.

The fact is I'm 17 and my parents are fine with me watching movies which are rated R18 (we have R, R16, R18 in our ratings system) but by law I can't see them in theatres. I can however - get this - buy R18 movies on DVD and watch them a quadrillion times and no one ever asks for ID at the sales desk because of course there's hardly the manpower for whoever wastes time enforcing these laws to do so in every music and movie store in the country.

And if they aren't gonna do it all the time they may as well not bother at all because I'll see whatever the movie is eventually anyway...but no, let's be bastards and not stop me from seeing it altogether because they can't but rather: make me wait a few months for the DVD before I still "break the law" when they can't stop me simply because they want to look responsible by enacting the laws and appearing to do something about enforcing ratings. This stupid shit means I have to miss out on ever seeing Sin City on the big screen when it comes out (next month) which sucks ass. I would sneak in as my local theatre lacks manpower during weekdays at around noon so no one would see me, but being R18 its likely to only be playing at night when they have more staff on to see me sneaking in.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

This film is just flat out funny. It's a brilliant concept and it also has a great romance with it. There's something for everyone here. I think this is one of the funnier films I have seen in a few years. Dodgeball was a different kind of funny and it's not surprise that its the frat pack responsible for both of them. I also just rewatched Old School and I finally got the humour in that one as well. These guys ( Ferrel, Stiller, Wilson, Wilson and Vaughn ) are at the top of their game and I will pretty much see anything they are in right now.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

If a parent doesn't want to see the R-rated film, but will allow the child/teen (let's say, in the 13-16 range) to see the film on his or her own, where's wrong? In my situation, my friend's dad was ready to buy our tickets to Wedding Crashers, but they wouldn't let us, so he bought a ticket and came in with us. If he leaves, what's the big deal? If he's giving the authority to do it, I don't see the problem.

That is an entirely different situation then what I was refering to Zing. If your parents were ok with it, then I see no wrong myself.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3